Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> SS Prop for 115 E-tec on Esox Magnum

Message Subject: SS Prop for 115 E-tec on Esox Magnum
E-Mag
Posted 7/5/2010 8:38 PM (#92604)
Subject: SS Prop for 115 E-tec on Esox Magnum

I have a 13.25 x 19p aluminum 3-blade prop on my 115 E-tec motor on an Esox Magnum and I'm thinking about going to a stainless steel prop instead. I get low 50mph range with that combo when I'm alone, but it'll porpoise some in the mid-40mph range when getting up to WOT.

In a stainless prop should I get same size or change pitch?

TIA,
E-Mag
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Almost-B-Good
Posted 7/6/2010 9:20 PM (#92650 - in reply to #92604)
Subject: RE: SS Prop for 115 E-tec on Esox Magnum

Probably not what you want to hear, but this is what I found. You won't know for sure till you try the new prop. The stainless prop you choose may have a lot of cup or not depending on the brand and type. You can have two different props with the same pitch that act totally different. Best bet is to work with a dealer that will let you try a few different model props till you get what you are looking for.

Are you running at the high end of the recommended rpm range? Then you can probably run a cupped prop or one with higher rake in the same pitch. If you are on the low end you probably will need to drop down in pitch or run a stainless that has limited cup.

If you run a cupped prop or one with a larger diameter or one with more blades your porpoising may very well disappear. Or it could just be you are trying to run your trim too high at that speed.

A good stainless prop should allow you to raise the motor higher too than you could run with aluminum. You can think about running in the third or forth hole with your motor then for less drag and more performance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)