Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Solve the Underwater Mystery, WIN an Aqua Vu Underwater Camera

Message Subject: Solve the Underwater Mystery, WIN an Aqua Vu Underwater Camera
Doc Samson
Posted 2/25/2008 6:45 PM (#66406 - in reply to #66397)
Subject: RE: Solve the Underwater Mystery, WIN an Aqua Vu Underwater Camera

Tyee
Each new one will be different and I will try to make it clearer and hopefully Jerry won't ruin it next time by getting the answer so quickly!
The mud humps were formed by the glaciers. I am researching if there is a better explanation. They are all 23-26 ft on top, flat topped, and tend to run north to south.
The colors indicated strength of echo return. If the bottom is the same hardness at 10 ft and 30 ft you will not get the same display since the echo return from deeper water is weaker since sound weakens as it travels through the water. Lowrance has auto sensitivity which increases the sensitivity as you go deeper which changes the display. This helps but creates another variable. Boulders are easy to tell since they show up as bumps, big rocks show up as an irregular bottom, but small rocks appear smooth so all you know is it reflects echo better than soft bottom.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim Muscat
Posted 2/26/2008 6:49 AM (#66422 - in reply to #66406)

New User

Hi Doc,

Do you typically run your unit ping speed and sensitivity pretty high when recording a chart? The other evening I was ice fishing with my X-19 and just for practice (and because action was slow) I decided to record some charts. After having been there a while watching the screen with out recording I noticed right away that when I started recording the screen behaved quite differently. It seemed like for a lack of a better term that it sped up? Almos like a slight fast forward look. Certainly not the normal real time screen I was used to when not recording. Not having a lot of experience I was wondering if you have ever seen this or maybe it is just somthing with my units processing speed and I need to slow down the ping speed?
Doc Samson
Posted 2/26/2008 9:13 AM (#66431 - in reply to #66422)

Jim M,
I don't see that as I record to the hard drive on my 113HD. I remember what you are talking about when I used my 19. I always run my ping speed at 100% because I look for fish at 20 mph. If you change the ping speed the display changes and I don’t like variables so I leave it high and it works for me. Whatever sensitivity you have doesn’t matter for recording charts as it records raw data and your sensitivity and Colorline settings don’t affect the raw data collection.

Tyee,
I got more info on the flats from a writer who is working on an article on the “mud flats”. They think they were formed as the glaciers receded and left humps and as the lake formed the tops may have been eroded by water as the lake formed. They don’t know for sure.
Jayman
Posted 2/26/2008 9:25 AM (#66432 - in reply to #66082)
Subject: Re: Solve the Underwater Mystery, WIN an Aqua Vu Underwater Camera

Okay, Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation, Doc.

Next question, could you explain how you have depth recorded on your Aqua Vu. I've only begun playing around with one I have, mostly through the ice since things are stationary and easier to deal with. So I'm curious on the depth and any other "tricks" you might want to offer for open water recording.

Thanks.
stacker
Posted 2/26/2008 9:36 AM (#66434 - in reply to #66406)

Doc, I dont think anyone is mad because Jerry guessed it, just more of a "...I wish I would have wasted my one guess on something so obvious as a mud flat on mille lacs". We obviously believed that the guru of all electronics was going to puzzle us a bit more in depth. I guess we will all be a bit more on our toes next time. Very nice prize for a basic answer.
TurkeyNate
Posted 2/26/2008 10:32 AM (#66437 - in reply to #66095)

New User

Not trying to hijack this thread but for discussion purposes I thought I would throw this out there as an example. I'll look to see if I have any underwater footage to go along with these images. Hope you can see them, they are kind of small.

These two images are of the same structure, so I wanted to see what the difference was between two views you can use on your lowrance.
Also, any guesses on what the structure is?

Brad B
Posted 2/26/2008 12:14 PM (#66460 - in reply to #66082)

Polar bear in a snow storm?
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 2/26/2008 12:24 PM (#66461 - in reply to #66437)

Christmas Trees?
just fish
Posted 2/26/2008 2:40 PM (#66475 - in reply to #66082)

Thats Docs Lucky bolder on Devils Lake... John Schneider
Posted 2/26/2008 2:51 PM (#66478 - in reply to #66082)

Pic looking at the back forty and a bunch of seagulls flying in a snowstorm
TurkeyNate
Posted 2/26/2008 11:41 PM (#66512 - in reply to #66082)

New User

The first couple smaller humps were rock piles with fish scattered around them.  The Third and biggest echo was actually a wooden crib that was put in for structure.  I was surprised it wasn't a tree.  The difference in screen settings seemed to make a difference.  I still havn't made up my mind on which one I like better.  I think with the bottom color brown it makes it difficult to distinguish hard and soft bottom, but also seperates fish from the bottom a little better.

TurkeyNate
Posted 2/26/2008 11:54 PM (#66513 - in reply to #66082)

New User

Here is some video from this winter when I went back to fish that crib. Enjoy.  http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/TurkeyNate/?action=view¤t=BigCreekCribBluegill.flv

Edited by TurkeyNate 2/26/2008 11:58 PM
Doc Samson
Posted 2/27/2008 8:12 AM (#66520 - in reply to #66432)

Jayman - 2/26/2008 9:25 AM

Okay, Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation, Doc.

Next question, could you explain how you have depth recorded on your Aqua Vu. I've only begun playing around with one I have, mostly through the ice since things are stationary and easier to deal with. So I'm curious on the depth and any other "tricks" you might want to offer for open water recording.

Thanks.

Jayman,
I use the MAV Aqua-vu which has a depth sensor and temperature sensor built in. I was told the depth sensor is pressure sensitive and I have found it be very accurate by comparing it to my Lowrance.
Jayman
Posted 2/27/2008 9:08 AM (#66525 - in reply to #66082)

Thanks much, Doc.
gofish
Posted 3/2/2008 9:37 PM (#66689 - in reply to #66145)

I guess I'm confused.
walleyecrazy839
Posted 3/3/2008 1:24 PM (#66700 - in reply to #66082)

New User

It looks like a hump the high point on the hump is a softer surface than on the sides.of the hump.the grey or color line goes from thick on the sides to thinner on top harder bottoms will return a wider greay band soft muddy bottoms return a narrow grey band. Also on the gradule side of the slope, left side, is a brush or rock pile sticking up.you can tell its tied into the bottom making a spot on a spot. It also shows a fish going up to attack the ball of bait above the spot on the spot. Many or most lake's have these spots .being able to freeze the screen and move the cross hairs is a awsome tool. use it alot marking brush in Kansas.Humps and piles elsewere.

I think this is what he's looking for is how you read this structure.this is how I read it. ;-)I think Im late this is for the first pic.

Edited by walleyecrazy839 3/3/2008 1:29 PM
jerry
Posted 3/5/2008 4:17 PM (#66792 - in reply to #66700)

AQUA VU RECEIVED!!!!! Thank you everyone involved in this promotion!!
bigeyeguy
Posted 3/9/2008 9:01 AM (#66896 - in reply to #66092)

New User

The Midget on Mille Lacs
Skeeter
Posted 3/10/2008 9:26 AM (#66916 - in reply to #66896)

Very VERY interesting stuff. I hope this thread continues on. I love the info and pics. Skeeter
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)