Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lowrance and Navionics platinum charts????

Message Subject: Lowrance and Navionics platinum charts????
RodBend'r
Posted 3/7/2008 11:39 AM (#66844)
Subject: Lowrance and Navionics platinum charts????

I 've been in the process of updating my electronics. Debating this and that for a good week now. Been leaning on sticking with Lowrance because I've had really great luck with all my units throughout the years. But, I've heard great things about Navionics Platinum chips. And Lowrance does not make a unit compatible with this chip yet...?? right?? Or should I say Navionics does not make a chip compatible with Lowrance units yet?......

This morning I was paging(dreaming) through my latest Cabelas mag. and seen a spoff with the Lowrance units on page 21....reading "NEW for 2008 compatible with platinum charts -- Navionics"

Well this is all news to me......... I did some research this morning, but can't find any facts on the matter. Anyone know if its true or just a type"O". Sure would like to stick with Lowrance and get me one of those Platinum HotMaps.....very cool!

Thanks for any input!
Bill

Edited by RodBend'r 3/7/2008 11:59 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jayman
Posted 3/7/2008 3:36 PM (#66847 - in reply to #66844)
Subject: Re: Lowrance and Navionics platinum charts????

Wow! Not one person has anything to say about this and there used to be Lowrance reps that pirused(sp?) this site.

I chose not to say anything, since my opinion of Lowrance has been shot down repeatedly on this site, But I hate to see a guy hang on a question when there are people here that do know......Okay, enough soap box.

The platimum chips I'd say your guess is as good as any, but here's some insight to the changes in the industry that may help sway your decision. Lowrance was recently aquired I don't know the exact date but the last 12-18 months. There is a new culture and managment decisions in play. LEI has also introduced thier "new" Lake Master chips which directly competes with Navionics. So you might get a little bit of the "what have you done for me lately" in the future as far as chip compatibility with different manufactures, Kinda like the boat and motor game we have in today's boat industry.

Lowrance has been the "Standard" in the walleye game for some time and Garmin a close second. Hummingbird, which does support the Platinum seems to be an up and coming player in the walleye world. The salmon guys have been on board a lot longer. Add in the changes in prostaff that has been rumored, I suspect you'll be hearing a lot more about Hummingbird.

As for New Lowrance being compatible, I can't answer that, perhaps somebody else here can.

These are stricly my opinions of the world how I see it through my eyes......Your view may be different.

Good luck with your decision, Bill.

Edited by Jayman 3/7/2008 3:38 PM
Jim Carroll
Posted 3/8/2008 10:12 AM (#66861 - in reply to #66844)
Subject: RE: Lowrance and Navionics platinum charts????

Lowrance and Navionics Platinum...

Lowrance firmware upgrades to run Navionics® Platinum will be available as free downloads from Lowrance’s website in the first quarter of 2008.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
July 24, 2007
Andrew Golden
Rushton Gregory Communications
617-413-6521
[email protected]
Steve Wegrzyn
Lowrance
918-438-8622
[email protected]
LOWRANCE INTEGRATES NAVIONICS® PLATINUM OPTIONS IN WIDEST
RANGE OF CHARTPLOTTER CHOICES
Tulsa, Okla. – Lowrance announced today the addition of future compatibility with Navionics Platinum multi-dimensional electronic charting on its full range of 2007 and 2008 chartplotter-equipped choices. Lowrance Navionics Platinum options will include both Platinum for global blue-water navigation and HotMaps Platinum for U.S. inland water boaters. Lowrance firmware upgrades to run Navionics Platinum will be available as a free download from the Lowrance website in January 2008. Lowrance compatibility with Navionics Platinum options, available on plug-and-play Secure Digital (SD) memory cards, represents the most extensive array of compatible product choices of any marine electronics brand. This includes all 2007 Lowrance LCX, LMS and GlobalMap® color models, with 5-, 7-, 8.4- and 10.4-inch displays. “The addition of the Navionics Platinum cartography option combines our market leading inland waters fishfinders and chartplotters with the market leading inland cartography, offering best-in-class 3- Dimensional map implementation,” said Gordon Sprouse, director of marketing, Lowrance. “By including Platinum for use on our full range of products, especially on widely popular 5” color display models, we serve the best interests of our loyal user base.”
Navionics Platinum combines huge XL3-size coverage areas of coastal and offshore waters, including 3-Dimensional bathymetric views and aerial photography of harbors and others points of interest. Platinum HotMaps features exclusive high-resolution 3-Dimensional map views of over 300 top U.S. tournament lakes and high detail charting for over 10,000 North American lakes, including Canadian waters. Lowrance is a world-leading brand in marine electronics since 1957 and GPS navigational systems since 1992. In 2002, Lowrance was the first to integrate with Navionics to provide high-detail charting options via the convenience of the Lowrance innovation of plug-and-play MMC/SD memory card slots on marine electronics.

For more information, please visit www.lowrance.com, or call 1.800.324.1356 in the USA or
1.800.661.3983 in Canada.

-30-
About Lowrance:
The Lowrance® brand is wholly owned by Navico, Inc., a privately held, international marine electronics company. Navico is currently the world’s largest marine electronics company, and is the parent company to seven well-established marine electronics brands: B&G®, Eagle®, Lowrance, MX Marine, Navman, Northstar and Simrad®.
Mark O.
Posted 3/8/2008 8:14 PM (#66885 - in reply to #66861)

Thanks Jim. Lowrance told me you can sign up for an e-mail that will notify you of when updates are added. That way you don't have to keep checking the website. They pretty much told me the same thing Jim just posted. Now if I could just get on some open water to use my units. This Winter is killing me!
ZX1950
Posted 3/10/2008 8:32 PM (#66953 - in reply to #66844)

FYI...the new software version with Navionics Platinum capability is available on the Lowrance site today(3/10/2008).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)