Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Minnows. What size and how to use them.

Message Subject: Minnows. What size and how to use them.
walleye express
Posted 3/16/2008 10:53 AM (#67168)
Subject: Minnows. What size and how to use them.

Taken from another board.

How do you rig your minnow when you use it? What size minnow do I need to use ;what size hook and weight . I need your help on fishing with them. Do you use spinners, bottom bouncer, jig head ( size,weight, color). Anything you think might help me. I use plugs all the time (Long A's & Long billed Rebel at night). Is there any DVDs on walleye fishing.

David Tester

David.
The only time and place I use minnows is on the river. I've tried minnow imitators the last couple of seasons while trolling with some success, but the walleye in general like a bigger meal when the waters on the bay are warm. But using real minnows (obviously) when fishing rivers are IMV the best forage imitators. I have successfully rigged them in many ways. I rigged/hooked them through the lips on floating jig heads carolina/egg sinker rig style and simply let them swim freely near bottom in the current behind the sinker. Rigged them behind Lindy rigs. Rigged them on a simple #4 beak hook behind a #7 split shot, quarter casted and let them drift freely downstream in fish holding current areas. My favorite way though is hooking them through the head up-side-down on a jig, then quarter casting and hopping them through productive holding waters. The size minnow I like to use always is about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch emerald shiner. The weight of the jig head or other weights is just enough to keep the minnow anchored or bumping along bottom. Capt. Dan.

Edited by walleye express 3/16/2008 10:55 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IM001231.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM001231.jpg (48KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tyee
Posted 3/16/2008 11:26 AM (#67170 - in reply to #67168)
Subject: RE: Minnows. What size and how to use them.

Great question, How do you hook your minnow while river fishing? Vertical: Do you hook 'them under the lip, In the lip, In the mouth out behind the brain, or through the eyes? Same question for pitching jigs to slack current? What about under a bobber? Do you use the mouth or through the back what about the tail?

I prefer through the eyes as they tend to live longer otherwise in the mouth when vertical. sometimes the back when bobber fishing. Any others?

Good Luck
Tyee
RedNeckTech
Posted 3/16/2008 11:44 AM (#67171 - in reply to #67168)

I prefer to hook them behind the brain comming from below the jaw and up behind. I do know of many people who only use the head of the minnow for walleye also, never tried it myself though.
butch
Posted 3/16/2008 4:16 PM (#67177 - in reply to #67168)

it all depends on the situation most of the time when river fishing i will run the hook into the mouth and come out behind the head. I almost always hook a minnow in the head with a jig almost sometimes I will tail hook them for a more lively presentation. as far as under a bobber its either behind the fin or just above the tail. as far as minnow size it depends on where I am fishing and what time of year I am there. I have found trout that where 12" long in the belly of a 20" walleye so dont assume that your bait is to big. I have had a lot of luck useing minows as big as 6 or 7 inches but like I said it depends on where and time of year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)