Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Are Fishing Shows Good or Bad For The Sport

Message Subject: Are Fishing Shows Good or Bad For The Sport
eye Lunker
Posted 11/27/2008 8:22 AM (#75102 - in reply to #75096)
Subject: RE: Are Fishing Shows Good or Bad For The Sport

Redkneck I agree the numbers do show nation wide number falling but there is also states showing an increase or not enough of change to make me think its a issue!
Economic, technological,demograhic,political and enviromental things have alot of impact and create rapid change in society in urban areas and this does not support traditional family lifestyle or oppurtunity . But I do not feel fishing shows has any impact on this.
However I disagree that there isnt as many opportunity's for shore fishing and the effect on it has on fishing license. Even though there are more houses on the west shore now someone still owned those open lots 30 years ago and didnt particular care to have kids hangin out fishing on there lake front and adults very rarely ever fished those area in respect to personal property or the fear of getting ticket. None of those area were community spots .There are many areas including neenah light ,dams,jefferson park to name a few that are aviable now as they were 35years ago for oppurtunity's to fish.
Little lake butte needed to be cleaned up so i agree i wouldnt keep anything from there now and if you fished it 30-35years ago and caught the huge jumbos as we did then you should realize back then it was problay at its highest level of pcb's,other chemicals in the water column and top soil on the bottom of the lake. Poeple where not aware of those dangers and everyone loved carbon paper.
The limit changes in northern wisc occured after the indians started spearing during mid 70's and was very unpopulat at the time and effected the industry alot back then and still does to this day
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/28/2008 8:57 AM (#75128 - in reply to #75102)

Jim Ordway,

If the pot never gets stirred good stuff gets stuck at the bottom and nobody ever gets to taste it.

Starting conversation on these topics gets folks thinking and does provide for some excellent and insightful responses.

I read here that some folks in Wisconsin feel the numbers of license sales have gone up. Interesting point though. From the data on total license sales between 2001 and 2006 went down. In 2001 there were 1,430,714 fishing license sold in WI. In 2006 there were 1,380,133 fishing license sold in WI. This is from the American Sport Fishing Association.

Edited by Fishing Fanatics 11/28/2008 9:05 AM
Sunshine
Posted 11/28/2008 9:32 AM (#75130 - in reply to #75036)
Subject: Re: Are Fishing Shows Good or Bad For The Sport

Looking at the big picture, I will not worry about a 3.5% decrease in fishing licenses in Wisconsin over a 5 year period. Too many variables to predict why. I'll take the position that the sky is not falling.
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/28/2008 1:04 PM (#75135 - in reply to #75130)

Dennis,

I agree about ice being for mixed drinks.
Sunshine
Posted 11/28/2008 1:39 PM (#75138 - in reply to #75135)

Here's an article that I just read today that ties in with the conversation.........

Study credits effect of ‘Take Me Fishing’ promotion

Friday, 28 November 2008 10:44
A study of the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation’s new Take Me Fishing campaign reveals that more than half of target anglers, identified as occasional or lapsed participants, are more likely to go fishing in the next year as a result of the promotion.

The study also showed that 40 percent are more likely to fish from a boat.

“This is great news, because our goal for the new campaign is to inspire boaters and anglers to take action, and these results show that our new advertising can motivate them to do just that,” said RBFF president and CEO Frank Peterson.

“With a more compelling message, the Take Me Fishing campaign has the potential to get more people fishing, boating and buying their fishing license, which helps us achieve our overall goal of increasing participation and generating critical funds for conservation,” he added.

RBFF relaunched Take Me Fishing this year with a goal of maintaining awareness and creating a stronger call to action. The traditional media buy was extended from three to 12 months and included regional radio, and more online and print advertising.

Since the campaign launched in April, the new Take Me Fishing Web site, which is featured on all advertising and communications materials, has seen an average monthly traffic increase of 114 percent, according to RBFF.

The online study of more than 1,600 people was conducted by Russell Research.

RedNeckTech
Posted 11/28/2008 2:19 PM (#75140 - in reply to #75102)

Lunker, I agree with most of what you said. However the areas that are now off limits to fishing are areas that the paper mills used to allow like Neenah Paper and Banta / Gilberts. Even Theda Clark used to allow it. There was a great small mouth bass spot I used to fish between the locks in Appleton but it has since been fenced off….by the Civil Engineering Corps. There just are not areas open to public use like there used to be. I know there are liability issued involved now with the sue happy society. At least in the fox valley I have noticed it. Back when I was a kid you could even fish from some of Neenah's bridges.
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/28/2008 4:16 PM (#75141 - in reply to #75140)

Dennis,

If you'd like to learn about the RBFF please feel free to contact me at the e-mail address that is posted below.

Brad B
Posted 11/28/2008 10:47 PM (#75152 - in reply to #75036)

Seriously??

Fishing shows cause a decline in the number of people that go fishing in the same way that ice cream consumption causes fist-fights. BTW, has anyone noticed the frightening trend with auto accidents? A study was recently published that showed 100% of the vehicles involved in crashes had steering wheels. I believe something HAS to be done.... Think of the children!!!! Take some action before its too late!!!
Rich S
Posted 11/30/2008 3:16 PM (#75190 - in reply to #75152)

Actually Brad, we have bigger fish to fry then auto accidents involving steering wheels. Something needs to be done about the growing problem we call catnip. This stuff is coming into our great country by the tanker. We as Americans need to put our heads together to figure out a way to stop this.

Just remember, if you won't talk to your cat about catnip, who will?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)