Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> X-190 vs 1890

Message Subject: X-190 vs 1890
Tuffy Newbie
Posted 1/12/2009 7:49 AM (#76478)
Subject: X-190 vs 1890

I am considering a Tuffy for 09. I am looking at the X-190 or the 1890. My
goal is to get a light boat because the landing I use up north is garbage, but I will
also use it for winnebago, Green Bay, and Lake Erie. Is the 190 deep enough to
trailer to erie without going home whitout putting it in the water because it is rough.
Simply put, when most other boats are heading out in 4' waves will it be deep and
safe enough, or is the 1890 the only way to go. I really like the 190 for the wieght, and don't want to buy a boat specifically for a 1 week trip to erie, but it would be nice to hear from some folks that have had both, or ridden in both to comment.
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 1/12/2009 8:18 AM (#76481 - in reply to #76478)
Subject: RE: X-190 vs 1890

I have an 1890, and true 4 footers and up, I don't like in any boat. But, I feel secure in my 1890. Not so sure I would feel as secure in the X-190. It is shallower that the 1890, and although it will handle most any water if it has to, I'd rather not go out in it. Erie is a funny lake, as the waves can pick up at any time while you are out there. I don't go like to go out in 4 footers unless I'm in a tourney, or I absolutely have to prefish for one. Otherwise, like on Green Bay, I'll tow to the other side where I can find better water.

My choice would be the 1890. I've not been at a landing I can't get launched or loaded at. I have had to wade in on a few.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/12/2009 12:11 PM (#76492 - in reply to #76478)

You DON'T want to be fishing in an X-190 in 4 footers on Erie. The boat will probably handle the waves fine for moving around but it will take for ever to move any great distance, and you'll be beat to death at the end of the day from banging off the sides of the boat, just like in any other small boat. Did that once a long long long time ago casting from a 17 footer on the lee side of Pelee Island during a big blow and won't repeat it ever again. Fish, yes. Fun, no!

Last year, I had my X-190 out on Portage in the UP in waves head high or more when you were sitting down in the driver's seat and it was too much for me to fish in that crap. I go out to have fun and trust me there is no mistaking, that is not fun! It's not I couldn't fish in it, I just didn't want to work that hard for any fish, period.

Took waves over the front trolling on Winnebago in two footers when I got the speed right and the nose wouldn't come up. But I also took water over the front of a 14' deep V, a 16' semi V and my old 18' deep V Alumacraft too on Winnebago when I was trolling into the waves and had the speed right and the nose wouldn't come up fast enough. The distance between the waves there is just not nice for trolling into the waves. Cross, or with the waves it was great. But like I said, into them you need to watch the speed or you'll get wet.

I've fished comfortably and effectively in two to three footers in my X-190 on Portage, both trolling boards in any direction, and rigging/jigging with the front electric. But there is a heck of a difference between 3 footers and 4 footers with the amount of wind it takes to generate them, the amount of cross chop you run into near points and channels, and the amount of spray you get wind whipped off the wave tops into your boat.

There just is no boat made that comfortably handles big water with big wind/waves and then is a joy to fish from in small lakes with poor launches. You have to chose, one or the other.
Tuffy Newbie
Posted 1/12/2009 6:05 PM (#76522 - in reply to #76478)

Alright a little clarification, when we go to Erie I may have exaggerated on the 4'ers I just want to be able to go out when the 619's 1890's,18' ProV's. I am not into bouncing around in super rough water, i just want to know if this boat [the X-190] can handle a week of Lake Erie when most of the other boats are going out. I realize neither boat will be a 215, 621, Big yarcraft, Warrior etc. Just want an idea if it does turn into 3' waves can a guy expect the X-190 to be able to navigate back to the dock, albeit probably slow, just get back. Also I rarely if ever troll into the waves so speariing them trolling is not a concern. How does the X-190 compare to the Old Triton 189, I fished out of one of those on erie in some nasty waves and it performed well. It seems that the old 189 is similar to the X-190. Thanks for the help.
trim-it-up
Posted 1/12/2009 8:23 PM (#76535 - in reply to #76522)

I also have the 1890 and fish Bago allot. It will take anything she can throw at me and smile while doing it. I only took the x190 for a spin at the gtg last fall and the lake was not very rough so I can't really say how well it takes waves. I would go with the 1890 but I'm thinking about getting the x190 just to have it for the river and poygan. His and hers Tuffy's.
lambeau
Posted 1/12/2009 8:48 PM (#76538 - in reply to #76535)

i've owned both an 1890 and an X190, and you're right in thinking that they're designed to be different boats.

as mentioned, the 1890 is an extremely stable and dry platform. if i was fishing the majority of my time on big waters such as the Great Lakes, Mille Lacs or Winnebago that's the boat i'd be in. it's a deeper hull, and i did encounter a couple landings on small northern lakes last year that it was too big to launch on. it'll get you there, let you fish, and get you back safe and dry the whole time, especially with that full windshield. extremely solid boat.

the X190 puts you closer to the water, faster and quicker, and as you noted a goodly percent lighter. i could get it in and out of anywhere i wanted to go (with the exception of one single semi-carry-in landing). under most normal conditions it's a very dry ride, though when it really whips up you notice the difference compared to the 1890. this boat got my wife and i back safely when a storm whipped up on Green Bay this year, running medium serious waves at high speed; it did the same again for me and Sorno one day when Vermilion decided to get testy; BigMo was amazed at how fishable it was in 2' waves with the kicker motor running - we were able to stand up and cast muskie baits without issue.
i spend the majority of my time on medium sized lakes, with the occasional foray out onto big waters like Green Bay. as such the X190 is the right match for my needs. awesome fishing machine.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(boat1890b.jpg)

(boat1890a.jpg)

(boatX190b.jpg)

(boatX190a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boat1890b.jpg (159KB - 744 downloads)
Attachments boat1890a.jpg (165KB - 182 downloads)
Attachments boatX190b.jpg (100KB - 478 downloads)
Attachments boatX190a.jpg (131KB - 338 downloads)
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/13/2009 8:14 AM (#76559 - in reply to #76522)

To clarify what I said, the X-190 will get you out and back in anything you want to be out in. Although I doubt it was designed as a big water boat, it is something you can use with some common sense.

I got rid of my 18 1/2' deep V aluminum boat because I no longer spent a lot of time running 9 to 12 lines off riggers and boards on Lake Michigan for trout and salmon. It was a behemoth in the calm smaller waters, useable, but overkill. As I got into more fishing in smaller (than the open Great Lakes) or more protected waters I wanted a boat that would be better suited to my fishing. That is why I went to the X-190. Even in the deep V I didn't like to be out in 4 footers and that was with more roll than whitecap like I'd expect to find on Erie.

I try very hard to make at least one Canadian trip every year, fishing Lac Seul, or LOTW, or Eagle and a few other nearby waters to all those lakes. I have had days where I ran up to 50 miles one way on Lac Seul just to try a spot that looked great on the map (it was!) back when gas was cheaper, and had many days where I ran 20 - 30 miles on LOTW at the start of the day and then fished my way back home again covering up to 60 miles total including side trips while working our "milk run". When you get out that far you have no choice but to come back in whatever blows up weatherwise. Even with great care the forcast can ocassionally be wrong. I have no doubts that whatever comes up my X-190 will get me back safely and with some degree of comfort. It fishes much better in the wind using the front electric for casting and rigging, runs faster and farther on less gas and has more useable interior room than the older deep V that was 6" wider. I traded some of the big water capabilty for that. If you can say that your fishing approximates mine, then the X-190 would be a great choice. If fishing big open water is more important, then I'd suggest going with a deeper wider boat, one that was designed more with that in mind as a primary purpose.
Shep
Posted 1/13/2009 8:59 AM (#76565 - in reply to #76559)

The X-190 is not like the Triton 189. That boat was way deeper, more like the 1890. The X-190 is very close to the 219 Stratos boats, if you remember them. They were the fastest walleye boats on the circuit when they came out with the 175 Intruder motors. I know guys that had them, and ran the Great Lakes in walleye tourneys in all sorts of big water. But they didn't like it.

Edited by Shep 1/13/2009 9:00 AM
Tuffy Newbie
Posted 1/16/2009 7:40 AM (#76717 - in reply to #76478)

Boy after looking at Lambeau pic's it looks like it is 2 seater. Is there
a deck extension in it or is there reallly only enough room behind the
windsheild for 2 people. Otherwise the boat looks like a perfect fit for me.
I appears to be deeper than I first thought, but the seating xoncerns me. Does anybody know if there will be one at the Oshkosh boat show this weekend?
Thanks
Shep
Posted 1/16/2009 8:32 AM (#76720 - in reply to #76717)

Lambeau's boat is an Esox Deep-V, and has a rear casting deck extension installed. This is easily removeable, and will expose additional seat pedastals and more floor space.
Tuffy Newbie
Posted 1/16/2009 11:43 AM (#76729 - in reply to #76720)

What's the difference between an esox and osprey. the website kinda
sucks with just an old boat layout and the same basic picture with all
boats. It would be nice if they had overhead pictures of all the different
layouts of the different boats.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/16/2009 12:01 PM (#76730 - in reply to #76478)

An Esox model comes with a back deck extension, an Osprey model comes without the back deck extension but can be added later if one chooses to. The first two images are of a Tuffy Esox X-190, and the last two images are of a Tuffy Osprey X-190.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 1/16/2009 12:06 PM

(1.jpg)

(08-04-20.jpg)

(DSC_0029.JPG)

(DSC_0034.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.jpg (78KB - 401 downloads)
Attachments 08-04-20.jpg (63KB - 287 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0029.JPG (58KB - 168 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0034.JPG (67KB - 175 downloads)
Tuffy Newbie
Posted 1/16/2009 12:17 PM (#76731 - in reply to #76730)

So it looks like there is 1 seat pedestal behind the windsheild, right?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/16/2009 12:19 PM (#76733 - in reply to #76731)
Subject: Re: X-190 vs 1890

Yes, there are three seat pedestals total behind the windshields. You can see where the three seat pedestals are in picture three. The pedestal layout in my images are just on the Tuffy X-190. The 2060, 1890, and 1760 all have four pedestals behind the windshields.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 1/16/2009 12:23 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)