Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> beyond jackplates...

Message Subject: beyond jackplates...
iceman35
Posted 1/19/2009 7:02 AM (#76765)
Subject: beyond jackplates...

had a nice discussion on a jackplate that turned into props too... Thought I would add some fuel to the fire... I read posts in the AM and walk a few miles in negative something weather so my mind thinks of these things...
we all want the perfect set up, on plane easy, top speed, fuel economy, etc... one setup won't cover it all... how about these 2 things...
those wings or hydrofoils on the motors... Stingray, doelfin etc... anybody got any experience with trying these? seems it may help get a boat on plane with a big load... price range runs $50.00 to $$$.$$
Another option from my saltwater days would be trim tabs... quite a few out there that are switch adjustable and price isn't crazy... bennet? they make them for smaller boats, bass tabs etc... these would give you another option in the set up question... bay and flats guys swear by them... you throw alot of people and gear in your boat and they can adjust level...
both of these options have good applications for the tiller guys too...
just some more ramblings in the Ice station Zebra weather...
well...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lambeau
Posted 1/19/2009 10:20 AM (#76773 - in reply to #76765)
Subject: RE: beyond jackplates...

you're getting a 1760 with a 150hp motor right?
i suggest that you run it some before starting to think about fins and tabs.
my bet is that you'll see that you don't need 'em, as that boat/motor combo will perform well for you even under load with the right prop.
stacker
Posted 1/19/2009 10:35 AM (#76774 - in reply to #76765)

Stingrays, doelfins, and the like are good for boats that are under powered. They do help plane time. When you have enough hop for the boat, it is mearly a propping issue. Most guys have 2 props. This way you can change when needed.

Trim tabs work on flats boats because there hulls are not performance ghulls. They eat waves and such. Tabs drag on performance hulls and anything that they would make the boat do could easily be achieved with a prop.

HIGH-5, it is the great equalizer.

Denny

Fort Fremont Marine.

Mud Duck
Posted 1/19/2009 8:54 PM (#76814 - in reply to #76774)

I'll start by saying I'm biased - the 1760 is a great boat. Spent a lot of time in one with a 150 on a variety of waters. Can't say as I was ever displeased with the boat's performance. No jackplate or anything, just hang the motor and go. Only thing I would have done differently was played around to find the "perfect" prop to have squeezed a little more speed out of her. Always ran the boat loaded with gear and gas. Got out of the hole good and performed on plane. That hull is a proven performer and bullet proof, not quirky. I would not hesitate to own another. Would just take the time to prop it right.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/19/2009 10:12 PM (#76820 - in reply to #76814)
Subject: Re: beyond jackplates...

I ran a 2007 Tuffy 1760DW with a 150 Opti last year and man did that thing go beautifully. Ran a 19 tempest and touched 51mph with a full load. IMHO, I wouldn't have touched that setup for anything, it was imo again, PERFECT. That boat is like Mud Duck said, a proven performer and bullet proof! If it weren't for the Tuffy X-190, I'd probably still be running that rig, really was a great boat!
iceman35
Posted 1/20/2009 5:43 AM (#76833 - in reply to #76765)

thanks guys... I was just throwing that out there... not for me in particular... I'll be back here when the time comes to get the right prop... with the stuff you guys said about the 1760 and a 150... winter just got longer...
Cast-n-blast
Posted 1/30/2009 5:50 PM (#77272 - in reply to #76820)

Tj.... can you give me the complete specs on what hole your motor was in? I have the same set-up that you did and I get around 46 mph GPS on a calm day with the same prop, motor, and I'm sitting 3rd hole up... where do you guys get the best performance out of this set-up????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)