Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Setting up leadcore rigs

Message Subject: Setting up leadcore rigs
Almost-B-Good
Posted 4/6/2009 7:15 AM (#79915)
Subject: Setting up leadcore rigs

Hi guys, I need some ideas on setting up lead core rigs for walleyes. I bought a couple GC47LC Diawas and was going to use them for muskys using some 45# leadcore off of my old salmon rig. Then I saw a couple LC47 Great Lakes Specials just sitting there in the basement corner and figured I'd use them for muskies with the heavier line I wanted to use and that freed up the GC's for walleye rigs.

So, what is the best way to rig for trolling basin water that can get over 40' deep? I've got 200 yds of 15# leadcore to use or I can buy something else or use some of the 45# lead core ( I've got lots on the salmon rig ).

I read that if you have too much leadcore on , that you can "sink" your boards if you use them. True? One article said three colors max, while other articles said use 50 to 100 yards of lead core, but didn't specify for use with boards.

What about leader lengths? I've used some in the past with 50' of mono on the leader end, but can't figure out why so much. Wouldn't a rod length of floro be enough to give your lure good action?

Any help would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GNWC Rookie
Posted 4/6/2009 8:36 AM (#79920 - in reply to #79915)
Subject: RE: Setting up leadcore rigs

I would set up 8 tp ten colors, but it all depends on how fast you'll be trolling. At 1 mph, I get 7-10' per color, and at 2 mph I get maybe 5' per color. I use the 18lb stuff, which is the most commonly used for Walleye applications.

As for leader length, I vary it depending on water clarity. If I were to pull in clear water like Green Bay or Winnebago, I'd opt for that 50' leader, on the Mississippi I tend to run 5-8' leaders. Running 8-10 colors of leadcore will definately have bad effects on your boards.

They start to stand up on end a bit when you get 3 colors out. I can only imagine how bad they would lag behind and how poorly they would ride on flat water with the weight of 10 colors on them. I would think they would also be very prone to spearing waves that way. Hope this helps.
Mark Komo
Posted 4/6/2009 9:41 PM (#79949 - in reply to #79920)
Subject: Re: Setting up leadcore rigs

Yep, sounds about right. 5 to 6 feet at 2MPH sounds about right, but I thought you would be closer to 9 or 10 at 1 MPH.
GNWC Rookie
Posted 4/6/2009 9:43 PM (#79950 - in reply to #79949)

Mark,

You're probably right, the 7' range takes into consideration for trolling into current. On a lake without that current, it's closer to 10'. Current and speed really affect leadcore.
Blakhart
Posted 5/3/2009 8:33 PM (#81002 - in reply to #79915)
Subject: RE: Setting up leadcore rigs

We regularly run ten colors,pulling flasher & fly 20 pound all the way. we use Offshore boards & they carry the load well.
BOXMAN
Posted 5/4/2009 10:22 AM (#81021 - in reply to #79915)

The only thing that I would suggest in addition to the great advice from Mark an GNWC is using Fluorocarbon leaders in the 17-20# range.
You will have to play with the baits as they tend to react differently with the weight of the leadcore-

Its an awesome way to fish-
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)