Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Mercrusier spark.....I need help

Message Subject: Mercrusier spark.....I need help
Deebsey
Posted 7/23/2009 12:01 PM (#83548)
Subject: Mercrusier spark.....I need help

New User

I have acquired another boat its a 1977 Glastron ssv 189 with a inline 6 merc. The kicker is there is no spark so I replaced the coil still no spark.....Asked the guy at the parts store and he sold me another coil but made sure this time it was one that didn't need a external resister hooked that up and still no spark. Ran a new wire from the key directly to the coil and still no spark. Installed a new key switch and still no spark. This thing is driving me nuts. Now what should I do replace the points, distributor, sell the boat before my head explodes?huh? Anyone have any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTY, its an old distributor with points and a GM block
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 7/23/2009 5:15 PM (#83555 - in reply to #83548)
Subject: RE: Mercrusier spark.....I need help

Change the condensor,and check the points.Make sure power is going to them.
sworrall
Posted 7/23/2009 9:55 PM (#83563 - in reply to #83548)
Subject: Re: Mercrusier spark.....I need help

Ignition switch.
fibtat
Posted 7/24/2009 7:10 PM (#83581 - in reply to #83548)

I would check it just like an old car with a breaker point ignition.First,check for ignition power at the points.Make sure the mounting side of the points,condensor and distributor are grounded.Check to make sure the shaft in the disributor rotates and the points open when the cam on the shaft hits the rubbing block on the points. If they don't,adjust them.A touch of grease on the rubbing block is necessary.You've already replaced the coil so you know it's good. The power and grounds can be checked with a circuit tester.Everyone who owns a boat,motor and trailer should own one.If you open the point manually with the key on you should get a spark.Don't check at the plug,get at the coil wire.Try these tips.If you still have no spark let me know.
gust
Posted 8/7/2009 8:28 PM (#83915 - in reply to #83548)

Make sure all the wires are hooked up th the electric choke also as i had that problem and found out that a wire had feel off and when i hooked it back up she started right up also i would buy the kit and change it over to electronic its will make it start up much better
Posted 8/10/2009 6:57 PM (#83971 - in reply to #83548)

worst spelin i ever saw on th inernet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)