Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> tiller boat hp rating

Message Subject: tiller boat hp rating
benelliguy
Posted 8/6/2009 11:20 AM (#83880)
Subject: tiller boat hp rating

just wondering what the thoughts are for the horse power restrictions of tiller boats.with the advent of "assisted" steering devices[titan,engine steer,mercs system,yamaha's proto type,ect] will boat companies begin to re-rate their boats?for example my boat is rated for a 150 horse motor with a wheel and 75 with a tiller.75 hp is NOT enough to make the boat enjoyable [or safe] with a full load[3 people] and 15 gallons of gas in it. it would be WAY more enjoyable and safer to operate with a 90,115 or even 150 hp motor with assisted steering.the 75 gets bogged down in the waves and has caused me to take water over the bow several times.it's propped out right but is just plain under powered.its a great boat that becomes a slug with a minimal load.i think its time boat manufacturers re-think their ratings.i know its a coast gaurd regulated system that would literally take an act of congress to change it but the tiller motor has changed,so should the regs.a tiller with assisted steering is capable of reacting to a turn probaly as quick as most wheels with a comparable margin of safety. vision at higher speeds might be an issue[i'd where goggles] but you have that in lots of wheel boats too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2009 12:50 PM (#84246 - in reply to #83880)
Subject: Re: tiller boat hp rating

That's up to the US Coast Guard, not the boat builder, so it's not likely we'll see any changes soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)