Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Tell me about the 1760 Osprey

Message Subject: Tell me about the 1760 Osprey
tzone
Posted 3/24/2008 8:18 PM (#67530)
Subject: Tell me about the 1760 Osprey

Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade the rig in a year or so. I'm looking at something in the 17.5-19' range. Probably in the shorter end so it will fit in my 22.5' garage. I looked on the web site but want to hear from Tuffy owners and users.

I have a Ranger 692 right now but will want somthing a little newer. I fish mostly the WI River in the Wausau area, but also make trips to Bago, Green Bay and MN. I want a dual counsole, infloor rod locker and prefer in floor battery storage too. I'm not really a speed freak but don't want a dog either. A kicker is also a must.

I would like to get back to fishing the FLW WI League too. I fished it as a CO for the past few years but took this year for various reasons. The boat would have to be used for this too.

What can I expect to pay for one? I know it depends on how its rigged but a ballpark would be nice. Somthing like a 115-150 opti w/kicker, and a few sornar/gps'

So guys let me have it will this rig fit what I'm looking for.

Tom

Edited by tzone 3/24/2008 8:23 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mud Duck
Posted 3/24/2008 8:51 PM (#67533 - in reply to #67530)
Subject: RE: Tell me about the 1760 Osprey

It will absolutely do what you want it to do. I'm a little impartial, though, I really like the 1760. I ran a 1760 for about 8 or 9 years in both a tiller and a console. I also fished the league out of this boat for 4 years until I upgraded to a 2060. It will handle the waters you mentioned. Not as good as a 2060 for the bigger waters, but I never worried about my 1760, you just need to drive it a little different. This might be an odd statement, but I always thought the 1760 handled bigger than a 17' boat. As I mentioned, I'm impartial, but I believe the 1760 is one of the best 17' walleye boats on the market. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
fibtat
Posted 3/27/2008 3:33 PM (#67653 - in reply to #67530)

My 1760sc Osprey is a '99 and a very versitale boat.It's held up very well.It's been almost trouble-free and I do not baby it.I fish alot and trailer many miles.While you'll miss the room of the bigger Ranger,you'll be amazed in the rough water ride of the smaller 1760.My partner had two 690s in the '90 in which I spend a lot of time.Believe me,going to the Tuffy is not a down grade.Mine is powered by a Johnson 115 2-stroke.It's plenty.While less horses means less topend,it also mean 150lbs. less on the transom.I feel it's a plus.When trolling on Winnebago or Green bay in big waves,water never comes over the transom.Should I hit a wave hard and launch it,she lands level and does not pound.I actually parallel waves at WOT doing just that. The 1760 has an 84" beam.That's pretty narrow.For me,a passenger's console would be eating up too much space.Seldom does my passenger feel a need for a console.If you have a any questions,just ask.
Mud Duck
Posted 1/23/2010 7:33 PM (#87795 - in reply to #67530)

To each their own. I sure like the 1760s. I've owned both a tiller and a console model and have probably spent about as much time in a 1760 as anyone. I spent at least 8 seasons in my 1760 console, can't remember if it was a '98 or '99. I do remember the trouble free construction and great performance I got from this boat. I ran this boat on a variety of waters from Green Bay to small local flowages, and was never disappointed in it's performance, both from a fishing standpoint and from it's ability to handle the water. This boat is very versitale, more versitale than my current 2060. If I wasn't going to spend as much time as I do chasing walleyes on the bigger waters, I would probably still have a 1760. The added length and power of the 2060 just give me a little more piece of mind when things get really nasty. I didn't beat the snot out of my boat, but I really can't say I babied it either. It had a lot of trouble free hours on it when it's new owner took it home. The only thing I ever had to do to the boat itself was replace a pump every now & then. I sure wouldn't be afraid to look at a 1760, and the only mistake you gotta worry about making is not getting a boat that best fits your needs.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/23/2010 8:04 PM (#87796 - in reply to #87795)
Subject: Re: Tell me about the 1760 Osprey

Ditto to what Mud Duck said. The 1760 DW I had in 2007 was great. However, once the X-190 came about, you'd be hard pressed to tear me out of that boat. For the waters I fish, the 190 fits me perfectly. I would not hesitate one bit to own a another 1760 with a 150 Opti on it again, awesome boat!
iceman35
Posted 1/26/2010 8:14 AM (#87845 - in reply to #67530)

I like mine...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(hr1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hr1.jpg (195KB - 121 downloads)
pitch'n
Posted 1/27/2010 11:37 AM (#87878 - in reply to #67530)
Subject: Re: Tell me about the 1760 Osprey

I have a 2008 1760GC with a 140 suzi and It fits me well, I fish everything from Mille Lacs to small Wi. sunfish lakes. In the past two seasons I have put her to the test more than a few times on the pond even being "air-born" and I am completely happy with the rig. Have not had a proplem with the transom or anything else.
horseshoe
Posted 2/3/2010 10:40 PM (#88066 - in reply to #67530)

There is a 1760 for sale here in Ohio at Buckeye Outdoors Marine. Dual console, deluxe trailer, no motor for much less than the dealer bought the boat for. It's 2009, brand new, best deal you'll find.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)