Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Prehistoric Catch.

Message Subject: Prehistoric Catch.
walleye express
Posted 1/5/2014 11:45 AM (#111161)
Subject: Prehistoric Catch.

This probably doesn't qualify as very BIG news in middle midwest states, but is off the charts around here. This Huge Sturgeon was caught and released back into the Saginaw River yesterday by a walleye angler. Used to be a massive spawning run of these gentle giants up the Tittabawassee River back in the old days. Glad to see a few come back this way now.

Edited by walleye express 1/5/2014 11:47 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1545948_10152120709998896_1594001595_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1545948_10152120709998896_1594001595_n.jpg (37KB - 167 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleye express
Posted 1/5/2014 12:28 PM (#111162 - in reply to #111161)
Subject: RE: Prehistoric Catch.

The story behind the catch is even more revealing about the Nature and Character of the man who caught this Gentle Giant. Makes me proud we have people like Dave around here who care as much about preserving such rare life as he does in humainly and legally taking it.

By Hugh Bernreuter | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on January 03, 2014 at 1:28 PM, updated January 03, 2014 at 3:07 PM

SAGINAW, MI — Dave Tanney went from fishing to admiring to saving in the span of minutes.

And the 55-year-old St. Charles native still gets goosebumps when he tells the story.

On Dec. 30, Tanney went ice fishing on the Saginaw River, just north of the Holland Street bridge. He went looking for walleyes, but found a 61-inch living relic.

Tanney, who lives in Belding, caught a 61-inch lake sturgeon Monday in Saginaw, then quickly did his best to save its life.

“It was a mess,” Tanney said. “It had six lures in its mouth, and it was wrapped with line. The first thing I did was to find out what the regulations were for sturgeon. I needed to know that right away so that I could get it back in the water as soon as possible.

“While we waited to hear, we started taking care of it, taking the lures out of its mouth. I got my knife out to get all the line off it. It was in bad shape.”

Tanney learned that there is no open season on the Great Lakes or its tributaries for sturgeon, which is considered a threatened species.

“As soon as we found out and as soon was we cleaned it up, we put it back in the water,” Tanney said. “That thing took off like a missile.”

Tanney moved from Midland three years ago to take a job as the UAW assistant director for Region 1D in Belding. But he comes back to the Saginaw River to fish three or four times a year.

"I'm sure there are great places to fish out here too, but I don't know them like I know the Saginaw River and Saginaw Bay," Tanney said. "It's hard to beat the Bay and river for walleye."

He fishes with his brother Rick, who lives in Saginaw. He also came with his son Kevin Tanney.

“They both went out the day before at the same spot … Rick caught his limit and Kevin caught two keepers,” Tanney said. “I usually fish in the (Saginaw) Bay, but they talked me into the river by the old Hooter’s. I used to fish a lot near Wickes Park.”

Near the end of the day, Tanney felt his line pull, and he fell prone on the ice inside his shanty, trying to hold on.

“He was like a submarine, going from bank to bank on the river,” Tanney said. “I told the others to cut their line because he was going to get tangled in them and break them. They didn’t believe me at first.

“I was flat on the ice for 45 minutes. He would pull and pull, but then he would rest and I would pull him back a little. I had to be careful not to let the line touch the ice so it wouldn’t freeze and snap.”

After 45 minutes, Tanney pulled the 61-inch sturgeon through the hole.

He did not feel bad letting it go.

“It was so exciting to see the sturgeon in the wild … I had only seen one in an aquarium at Cabela’s once,” Tanney said. “As someone who’s fished the Saginaw River since the 1980s, it was exciting to see because it’s a sign that the river is in a lot better shape and a lot cleaner than it was back when I started fishing it.

“It was also exciting knowing that not only did we catch a sturgeon, we returned it in better shape and healthier than when we caught it. Even after we let it go, we just stood there. It was like we were all in shock about what just happened.

“To be truthful, I’m still a little excited about it.”

Edited by walleye express 1/5/2014 12:43 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/15/2014 3:37 PM (#111189 - in reply to #111161)
Subject: Re: Prehistoric Catch.

Great story!
walleye express
Posted 1/16/2014 10:59 AM (#111194 - in reply to #111161)
Subject: RE: Prehistoric Catch.

Even More Revealing News.

SAGINAW, MI — While ice fishing for walleye in the Saginaw River earlier this month, Dave Tanney didn’t expect to pull a 61-inch prehistoric-looking fish from the depths of the river.

But he did.

Tanney of Belding is the second angler this winter to report catching a live sturgeon on the Saginaw River or Bay. The large, bottom-feeding fish are a slow-evolving species still similar to their 120 million-year-old ancestors.

Pete Studders, a manager at Scientific Anglers in Midland, was ice fishing off the shores of Linwood in Bay County when his fiancée Denise Shelagowski told him she saw something unusual on her underwater camera.

“I proceeded to go back in the shanty and looked at the camera and recognized that it was a sturgeon,” Studders said. “I dropped my lure down and watched the sturgeon inhale it.”

The story has a twist. Based on a photo of the fish the couple took before releasing it, state officials believe the sturgeon isn't a native lake sturgeon but could be one from Russia that someone released into the bay after keeping as a pet.

Although he has used his lure since, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists asked him to send the lure to Central Michigan University to see if DNA left on the lure can conclusively determine the sturgeon’s species.

Regardless of where the fish originated, seeing a sturgeon in Saginaw Bay waters is rare today, according to Adam Kowalski, a fisheries biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Alpena.
Though the fish considered a "living fossil" was once abundant in the Great Lakes, overfishing and habitat loss led to their decline.

Kowalski said recent attempts to find and research sturgeons in the Saginaw-area were unsuccessful, due to the low population of lake sturgeon in the area.

Since 1994, commercial fishermen on Saginaw Bay have voluntarily helped government agencies tag and release sturgeons that get caught in their nets, according to Justin Chiotti, a Fish and Wildlife Service fisheries biologist. To date, 358 sturgeons have been tagged as a part of this program.

Jim Baker, management supervisor for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources for southern Lake Huron, said the sturgeon population is about 1 percent of what it was at its height in the mid-1800s. The creation of dams destroyed their habitat in addition to overfishing, he said.

He said that what remains now can be considered a remnant population.
Sturgeons are signs of 'ecosystem health'

When anglers land sturgeons on the Saginaw River and Saginaw Bay, it makes for more than a good fishing tale. It's also an indicator water quality, biologists say.

“They’re interesting fish,” Kowalski said. “Having been here since the time of the dinosaurs, they’re one of the oldest fish in the Great Lakes. And it’s always good to bring them back, (as an indicator of) environmental health. I wouldn’t call them the canary in the underground mine, but they could be.”

Chiotti said sturgeons are used as barometers of health in the St. Clair-Detroit River system.

“The lake sturgeon is considered an indicator of ecosystem health because it is sensitive to pollution and human disturbances," he said. "They have no natural predators since they attain such large sizes, we have methods to assess the population and they utilize a variety of habitats throughout their lifecycle."

Chiotte said some sturgeons tagged in Port Huron have been recaptured in the Saginaw Bay. He said several agencies, including the DNR and the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources are studying sturgeon movement in Lake Huron.
"That will provide us with higher resolution movement data between lake sturgeon captured in southern Lake Huron and Saginaw Bay,” Chiotte said. “To date, 161 lake sturgeons have received (GPS) transmitters as part of this project and we plan to continue this work in 2014."

Why all the attention?

Lake Sturgeon Floy Cinch Tag Dorsal Fin.JPGCommercial fishermen in the Saginaw area voluntarily tag and release sturgeon caught in their nets.Justin Chiotti

Lake sturgeon are listed as a threatened species in Michigan and either threatened or endangered by 19 of the 20 states within its original range in the United States, according the Michigan DNR.

They only spawn once every five years, so their recovery has been slow. Males don’t reach sexual maturity until they are about 20 years old and females reach maturity at about 25 years old.

Fishermen who catch a sturgeon on Saginaw Bay or connecting waters must release them.

“They are a protected species here, and fishing for them is catching and release only,” Baker said.

The DNR does allow a limited season for sturgeon on Black Lake. In 2013, anglers there caught six fish.

Shiawassee River seeing return of walleyes

Sturgeons aren't the only fish turning up in unusual places these days.

Walleyes are benefiting from work on a dam on the Shiawassee River in Chesaning as well. Their population in the Shiawassee River declined in the last few decades after construction of the Chesaning Dam. The fish were unable to get past the dam to spawn in the river.

But Baker said the population has increased in recent years.

“We have a very good run of fish in the Shiawassee up to the dam at Chesaning,” Baker said. “The old dam there was replaced with a rock ramp structure and allows the walleye to jump. Any additional access walleyes have to spawning habitat in our rivers is a good thing.”

Devin Grace Gill, Friends of the Shiawassee director, said that walleyes are important to the river for a variety of reasons.

“One is the recreational fishery on the Saginaw river system,” Gill said. “(Also), right now, most of the data that the DNR has tells us that the significant spawning that goes on occurs in the Tittabawassee River. If something catastrophic happens in the Tittabawassee, fish spawning areas are destroyed. It’s better to have multiple rivers for spawning than just one.”

Edited by walleye express 1/16/2014 11:01 AM

(155830_10152150355308896_139614412_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 155830_10152150355308896_139614412_n.jpg (27KB - 160 downloads)
iceman35
Posted 2/2/2014 3:39 PM (#111235 - in reply to #111161)

great story Express. Here in New York, the state has a Stocking program that is starting to show results... Also stocking Spoonbills in the western part of the state... Very longterm program considering growth and repoduction times.
really like to read the sturgeon stories.
walleye express
Posted 2/2/2014 5:42 PM (#111237 - in reply to #111235)

Maybe one of you can tell me what the hell this is.

The picture of this fish was sent to me via my cell phone yesterdeay and the text below it asked the Question "What is it?" The sender said it was caught on Tawas Bay in their perchville festival contest. Tawas Bay being on the southern boundry line of Lake Huron with the northern boundry line of Saginaw Bay. At first glimpse I would guess a Sturgeon, but I believe Sturgeon are illegal to keep in Lake Huron, or at least some species of Sturgeon. Closer observation, noticing the huge odd shaped Dorsal and Pectoral Fins, confuses me a little as to just what it really is. I sent the picture off to my DNR Bio-Buddy and even he cannot identify it from the angle of the picture. One of my buddies says it looks like a Bull Shark with the luvered gill rakers, and it does.

Edited by walleye express 2/2/2014 6:03 PM

(20140201_125049.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20140201_125049.jpg (148KB - 133 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)