Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Rod is a Rod, is a Rod.

Message Subject: A Rod is a Rod, is a Rod.
walleye express
Posted 12/12/2014 1:31 PM (#112782)
Subject: A Rod is a Rod, is a Rod.

Don't get me wrong, I learned very early in my long fishing life and later in my 25+ part-time professional fishing carrier years, that heavier/stiffer rods were not always the best choices for the more refined techniques and/or detecting subtle strikes. Everything would be fine and easier of course, if every fish swimming would simply smash whatever you tossed at them. But somewhere down the specie genealogical latter, seems even the biggest fish learned how to grab many of your offerings with the finesse of a good watch makers tweezers. And then with the same finesse and hyper speed at times, spit it back out like the "Red Man chewing roofer" did who gave me my first pinch between cheek and gum and a monster size tobacco hang over when I was 8.

Luckily both the technology and the expensive materials needed to build today's strong and more sensitive rods has equalized a bit, and buying and using these rods has been put into more peoples reach, even though some will probably always be more expensive. So what are good choices of rods in today's fishing world and why. Do the older companies really have a leg-up on the newer ones. Or are they just more well known and riding on their reputations established early on and over the years. I also know that this subject alone can elicit discussions bordering on Super Bowl Sunday predictions. I'd like to hear from professionals or guys (like myself) who have had and used over the years, probably 25 different rod types. And what they think now would be the best choices, given the many different techniques.

Edited by walleye express 12/12/2014 1:34 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)