Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> What line for Line Counters?

Message Subject: What line for Line Counters?
Bad Habit
Posted 3/14/2006 11:13 PM (#40902)
Subject: What line for Line Counters?

OK, I'm getting ready to respool everything I've got and am in trouble with my line counters. In previous years I usually "backspool" my counters with bargin priced 20 lb, and then top it off with the good stuff. My good stuff was 10-12 lb "Sensor" until they stopped making it. Last year my good stuff was 12lb "Maxima" that turned out to be a mistake. It won't hold knots, seems to frey, gets brittle in cold water, breaks often, and is made in Germany (they don't even know what a walleye is over there!). My son and I lost more lures and fish last year than ever before. I'm thinking of using Berkely Vanish in 10 lb this year. Does anyone out there have a better idea or have a favorite line to pull boards? I would appreciate any insight as I really do not want to experiment with line this year...we all know there are enough other things to experiment with. Please...no replys from anyone with a line sponsor. Thanks

Bad Habit
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Axl
Posted 3/15/2006 1:00 AM (#40904 - in reply to #40902)
Subject: RE: What line for Line Counters?

I like using Berkley Trilene XT 10 lb. for my trolling reels. Seems to hold up good. I usually will respool twice a year, but it all depends on how often I use them, or the lack of usage as well. All line will start to fall apart from both the water and the sun, but I found this to be the stuff I like best on my trolling reels.
butch
Posted 3/15/2006 6:05 AM (#40907 - in reply to #40902)

I will never use berkly vanish on my trolling rods ever again. It has the same problems as the maxima that you used last year. Not to mention I have had it break and frey at the clip on the planer board. Believe it or not the line that I have used the last 2 years and have had no problems with is stren high impact in 10 lb and it costs less than $6.00 for a for a 1275 yd spool. It will fill 3 walleye size trolling reels and it holds up great. I used to be a big time berkley guy I used it on all my rods Then I am not sure if I got some bad batches or what but for three years the line made me unhappy and I switched away from that also. Last year I started useing it on my spinning gear again but I am still a bit nervouse about it.
jerry
Posted 3/15/2006 7:08 AM (#40908 - in reply to #40902)

Berkley Vanish, in my opinion, is not a good option for use as a main line for trolling. I have a hard time understanding why people would consider going away from Berkley Trilene XT in 10 lb test. This stuff is tried and true, never fails, as I've yet to have a walleye break high quality fresh 10 lb Trilene XT.

There's a reason that the Precision Trolling Guide was created using 10lb XT. Why change?
butch
Posted 3/15/2006 7:21 AM (#40909 - in reply to #40902)

Like I said Jerry I dont know If the stuff I got was on the shelf for a long time or what the deal was but I had 3 bad years with the stuff but I am starting to put it back on my spinning tackle. I Only ever used Berkley for over 15 years and then I had the problem and got gun shy.
Jim Ordway
Posted 3/15/2006 8:39 AM (#40916 - in reply to #40902)

Yep, Berkley 10 #XT. For long lineing, I like power pro to reduce slack and improve hookups.
I do like Vanish for clear water applications on jig rods. Otherwise I like powerpro.
Take care,
Jim O
reels
Posted 3/15/2006 9:02 AM (#40917 - in reply to #40902)

Trilene 10lb XT is hard to beat for trolling. I do have a few reels with fireline to get the baits a little deeper, but there are trade offs. XT will stretch a lot, where the fireline can sometimes be too stiff and fish might come off. At the end of the day though, those two lines will bring a lot of fish in the boat for me.

Shep
Posted 3/15/2006 9:56 AM (#40920 - in reply to #40917)

XT 10#. Nuff said.
Mike K
Posted 3/15/2006 10:49 AM (#40923 - in reply to #40902)

We use Berkley Big Game 10 lb. in Lo-Vis Green. Works greta and is priced really good, we buy 6000 yard spool for $30.00
Tom K
Posted 3/15/2006 12:10 PM (#40926 - in reply to #40902)

I use 12 lb Berkley Sensation...Same diameter as 10lb XT...Not had a problem with it since I started using it for trolling 3 years ago.
Jayman
Posted 3/15/2006 12:50 PM (#40931 - in reply to #40902)

Going out on a limb here.......Fireline is where it's at, mono is old school. Fire line used with florocarbon leaders for cranks or just a snap swivel for harnesses. no need for tattle tale boards because you can "read" the bites. Lasts more than one year.

Note: a good trolling rod is a must, must have a soft tip and plenty of back bone.
Toolman
Posted 3/15/2006 2:04 PM (#40935 - in reply to #40902)

I'm with Tom-Berkley Sensation 12#. Same dia as XT 10# so it on the money with the PT dive curves. It holds knots well and is as tough as any other mono I've used. Power-Pro for long lead cranks 8/30. There are some apps where mono is just better than braid-you need both IMO. I'm not sponsored by either brand.

Tim Joseph
NPAA # 740
Modog
Posted 3/15/2006 5:06 PM (#40950 - in reply to #40902)

Hey Jayman, try the 'Super Braid' from Stren. It is more of a round superline and doesn't seem to fray like Fireline. I used it last year and loved it. With Fireline I was always trimming the last few feet off and even replacing it during the season. Didn't have to with the SuperBraid. Give it a try.
Rod Holder
Posted 3/17/2006 9:50 PM (#41098 - in reply to #40902)

Here is another vote for 12# Sensation. Nice to have the extra 2# head room and still use the exact dive curves. No fudging. It's been good so far. I also was fortunate enough to purchase a dozen spools off ebay cheaply. One spool filled a Depthmaster Gold line counter reel perfectly. I put a clamp on counter ahead so that I could check the accuracy as the line came off, had my daughter walk away pulling out line, and it matched all the way out to 150'. I keep the new spools of Sensation in the box and stored in a dark place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)