Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hutch's jigs strike again.

Message Subject: Hutch's jigs strike again.
walleye express
Posted 3/7/2006 3:50 PM (#40483)
Subject: Hutch's jigs strike again.

Spent half a day Sunday, North of the Zillwaukee bridge (Hog Ally) vertical jigging on the Saginaw River, boated 11 walleyes and kept a one man limit.

Then fished half a day today with board member "Eyelaw" on the Tittabawassee. Boated a few and kept 4. Used Hutch's jigs both days with my own added custom (Hand tied) fuzzy bodies. They always work for us on either river.

There is in my estimation many more fish in the Saginaw proper and lower Tittabawassee than there is in the upper regions of the Titt. or up near the Dow Dam areas. The Tittabawassee water temp is still freezing cold (35 degrees when we left today). But both days were absolutley great days to fish, sunny and no wind, even though there were no monsters caught.

Edited by walleye express 3/7/2006 3:58 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IM001024.JPG)

(IM001028.JPG)

(IM001030.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM001024.JPG (49KB - 105 downloads)
Attachments IM001028.JPG (73KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments IM001030.JPG (100KB - 97 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
john mannerino
Posted 3/8/2006 4:00 PM (#40554 - in reply to #40483)
Subject: RE: Hutch's jigs strike again.

They are the best out there for sure. Nice pics.
Paul
Posted 3/9/2006 2:39 PM (#40634 - in reply to #40483)

Does Hutch have a website?

Thanks

Paul
Mark Komo
Posted 3/9/2006 3:02 PM (#40637 - in reply to #40483)

Excellent work. Hutch jeegs are the best, like mannerino said.

I think its www.riverwalleyes.com

Custom body? What is that like pipe cleaner wrap? Did you use a meno?

Sorry, one other comment.

How did you get em to hook in the bottom leep? Was the feesh swimmin upside down?

Edited by M_komo 3/9/2006 3:03 PM
walleye express
Posted 3/9/2006 8:28 PM (#40674 - in reply to #40637)

M_komo - 3/9/2006 4:02 PM

Excellent work. Hutch jeegs are the best, like mannerino said.

I think its www.riverwalleyes.com

Custom body? What is that like pipe cleaner wrap? Did you use a meno?

Sorry, one other comment.

How did you get em to hook in the bottom leep? Was the feesh swimmin upside down?

Komo.

What you see there is my own version of a what I call a "Poor Mans Fuzzy Grub". Fuzzies are one of my favorite grub bodies, being I always fish with Shiners on the rivers. Unfortunetly, the Tittabawassee eats jigs like candy in most places and fuzzies are expensive. So I use my fly tying vise and wrap the shank almost to the bend with "Medium Trilobal Antron Chenille". This Chenille is kinda like pipe cleaners in texture, but softer. Dab on some head cement at the tie, and you have a soft (Scent holding) fuzzy (in colors you wouldn't believe) thats stays on the hook forever.

As far as the upside down walleye. We were anchored and quarter casting holes in the current. I always hook my minnows upside down on the hook, so their white belly flashes when jiged. I believe that also makes them look more like a wounded baitfish. He hit the jig on the drop, so your guess is as good as mine about rather he was trying to eat the minnows right side up or the jig flipped while falling.

Edited by walleye express 3/10/2006 8:34 AM
Mark Komo
Posted 3/10/2006 8:10 AM (#40686 - in reply to #40483)

Thanks mucho. Excellent reply. I can feel for ya. Those reevers suck up those jeegs like nuts. I have have to try the fly tying vice treeck as well as that meno hooking thingy. Afterwards, I thought maybe its just a money shot, showing the fine work of both you and Hutch. Hope I didnt come off as a smart arse. I usually save that for later.
walleye express
Posted 3/10/2006 8:31 AM (#40687 - in reply to #40686)

M_komo - 3/10/2006 9:10 AM

Thanks mucho. Excellent reply. I can feel for ya. Those reevers suck up those jeegs like nuts. I have have to try the fly tying vice treeck as well as that meno hooking thingy. Afterwards, I thought maybe its just a money shot, showing the fine work of both you and Hutch. Hope I didnt come off as a smart arse. I usually save that for later. :-)

Komo.

I've long learned to recognize the posts of Smart Arses on this and other boards believe me. I have my own fallowing in that reguard. But yours was a great question/post and the kind I love answering. And if Hutch sells a few more jigs because of the post, more power to him as they do indeed work. And for you to notice something like the walleye being hooked in the bottom jaw versus the top, tells me you have a fine working/learning mind when it comes to fishing techniques and dynamics. Keep those questions coming, because even the Smart Arses don't mind learning something off you before stabbing you on the back.

Edited by walleye express 3/10/2006 9:27 AM
Mark Komo
Posted 3/14/2006 8:06 AM (#40857 - in reply to #40483)

Yep, its all learning isnt it.

Was paging through a back issue of Walleye Insider and they mentioned the Tittabawassee as being a smokin spring location prior to the March 15th close. The fly in the ointment, or at least in the past, has been open water. Doesnt look like that will be much of problem for ya as ice is clear.

In terms of the chenile, great idea. Looks to hold scent pretty good. Do you really think scent, especially the application of scent, really makes that big of a difference? I got a can of shad spray I use on occasion, as well as some Quick Scent (that chapsteeck looking stuff), Kicknbass Walleye scent, and of course who can forget, berkley scent.

Or is scent seasonal due to lack of early spring baitfeesh?

walleye express
Posted 3/14/2006 2:46 PM (#40893 - in reply to #40857)

Or is scent seasonal due to lack of early spring baitfeesh?

Komo.

I've been a B.A.N.G. man for quit a few years now. Both Shad and Combo flavors. You can see a can of the Combo and the shad flavor next to it on the ledge of my boat, in the one picture of the upside down jighead. It has made a difference in my opinion on many occassions. Just about everything I put down during any of the seasons for virtually any species, gets a little spray with the BANG.

Edited by walleye express 3/15/2006 7:07 AM
Beaver
Posted 3/18/2006 4:42 PM (#41128 - in reply to #40483)

I watched video of how walleyes and saugers get hooked in the bottom part of the mouth.
They see the jig, and sometimes they don't have time to eat it on the fall, so they pin it to the bottom of the river or lake bottom just like they would their normal prey.....head first. So when you set the hook, sometimes the hook comes into their mouth from the outside. I've had smart arses ask..."What color did he swim over?", insinuating a snag, but I've seen it on film. Happens with tubes a lot too when they think that they are pinning a crawfish to the bottom.
As far as Hutch....no better jig or person on the river.
I'll be seeing lots of him very soon.
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)