Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> FLW Boats and Motors

Message Subject: FLW Boats and Motors
Shep
Posted 4/20/2006 10:59 AM (#42653 - in reply to #42324)
Subject: RE: FLW Boats and Motors

You contradict yourself, nothing.

"The FLW is cleaning house with this very concept. They have the masses buying boats (Rangers) at a small discount, all the while these guys are promoting the product." This was my original post, that this formula seems to be working for the FLW. Don't forget this tour was originally called the RCL, for Ranger, Crestliner, Lund, all Genmar products at the time, and originally had Merc as the motor sponsor. When things changed in 2004, and they added the boat and motor contigency to qualifying events, lot's of guys changed over to Evinrude, Yamaha. I am pretty sure, that was the FLW's intent!

But you also say that Merc/Brunswick has nothing to gain by doing what seems to be working for Genmar/Evinrude/Yamaha.

So, which is it?

I understand you have a strong dislike for Merc. That is not relavent here.

Edited by Shep 4/20/2006 11:04 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nothing
Posted 4/20/2006 12:11 PM (#42658 - in reply to #42324)

Maybe you should Re-read the posts? I also said they don't need to cut thier own throats when they already own 65% of the 2 Tours they support. This has nothing to with my dislike of Mrec outboards. It has to do with common sense. WHY on earth would they want to have to pay out cash money for products they have already sold? They own the market share in the industry now, why would they cut profits to please tournament anglers?

Just because YOU love Merc's does'nt mean they are going to jump into drastic measures to please a select few. On the other hand, Ranger is selling VERY expensive products to the public. They have all there eggs in this basket and have found that mass marketing is what it has taken to get thier market share. So if you want to buy that Merc Verdo at say 24K for a 225 then by all means open a tour. Fact is they know how they have made money, and will contine to make money VS giving it away. On the other hand compaines like Evinrude are forced to get as much product out as they can (for promotional reasons) more than anything. AND Ranger is not the only ones footing the bill on (extra) monies. The whole tour is sponsored by BIG money sponsors that all have to pay the rights. The owner of the boat products is about marketing which he feels leads to sales. Notice the products they are promoting?

If you think that many more guys are going to run Merc's because 225 pro tour anglers do so, well then it's not worth my time to explain the industry to you. Just how many 620 Rangers can they put out in a year? If they have 200 "pro" staffers how many more can they build? 350-450 total? If Merc has 250 "pro-staffers" how many hulls are there to hang more "tour" motors on? If they own 65% of 2 of the 3 "big" tours transoms, how would having another "owners" tour help them? These were the questions you asked, and I gave you an answer. If you don't like the answer don't ask the question.
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 1:00 PM (#42659 - in reply to #42658)

Lund/Mercury are currently major Sponsors of the PWT, so they have the committment made to pro Walleye Angling there. I don't think it's the idea of selling more tournament rigs to pros and exapnding the number of Pros to fill an additional circuit, it's a matter of holding one's own in the branding game. Allowing a competitor to establish a beach head might be thought out as a bad idea, so i actually wouldn't be too awful surprised to see more Brunswick Boat and Motor branding involvement in the future.

Bass boat companies like Ranger don't talk boats per year, they talk about boats per day. In the teens is a nice number.
Shep
Posted 4/20/2006 1:09 PM (#42663 - in reply to #42658)

It's not that I ddn't like the answer. It's that you never gave an answer, until now. Nowhere did I state that Merc/Brunswick should put up all the money, nor did I say that Ranger, Evinrude/Yamah put up all the money for the FLW. Ranger doesn't have all their eggs in one basket. And as for how many boats can Ranger make? As many as they can sell, I guess, should they decide to expand their capacity further than they have. Ranger sells alot more Bass Boats than they do multi-species boats. Based on your logic, they don't need the walleye market, and are cutting their own throats supporting the FLW. And why should they even support the bass tourneys. Thery have their market share, so why spend the money?

But please, you seem to be an expert on the industry. Please, take your time, and explain it to us. If you think that what the pro's run have nothing to do with what sells to the general public, then your input to this topic is likely over. You ever hear of NASCAR. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday? How many more people buy Tide because of Darryl Waltrip? Or Budweiser because of Dale Jr, or.... well, it's called marketing. And it works.
nothing
Posted 4/20/2006 5:34 PM (#42675 - in reply to #42324)

You seem to have all the answers, so why ask the question?
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 8:21 PM (#42683 - in reply to #42675)

Because we all search out answers, even those that do not necessarily agree with our personal perception.
Shep
Posted 4/21/2006 7:31 AM (#42696 - in reply to #42683)

Nothing, I asked the question, because I wanted to see what others thought about it? I'm not sure there is a correct answer to the question. You've made your point, and I'll look to see if others weigh in.

Edited by Shep 4/21/2006 7:34 AM
Selling Product
Posted 4/21/2006 7:52 AM (#42698 - in reply to #42696)

Pros sell product and companies know this. Some companies have programs in place to actually track sales, others are just starting to put them in place. Sales drive everything in this business. Companies that pay contingency money have found out that it is a good way to advertise to their target market. Besides all the quarterly reporting I do, I now have companies tracking my direct sales. This is a good thing, as they are trying to justify the money they are putting up for me. In the end I will benefit because I do sell product and that is the name of the game.
reels
Posted 4/21/2006 8:41 AM (#42702 - in reply to #42324)

Having fished in the RCL and FLW it was not without growing pains. A lot of use wondered what they were thinking sometimes with some decisions. But they have made corrections, listened to the anglers and made a major turn. I think last year was a big momentum swing with Al Linder doing the filming and the concept of promoting the anglers verses the products. Interest has increased, and sponsor are starting to pay attention with more and more boats being wrapped with sponsors every year. Im sure if Brunswick came to the table with contingency money and sponsorship it would even be bigger. I think there is bad blood, attitudes, and pride involved in some of the separation and blackballing of Mercury remember the Merc Trailer having to park down the street from the rest of the trailers.

It has changed from a good ole boys fishing tourney to big money and sponsorship. As it grows you will see more and more clean cut, hi visibility sponsorship. Look how fast Ranger dropped Iaconelli. It is all about image now and money. Not that it is a bad thing. I dont think the FLW would have survived without getting the major sponsors. As they get more more, the staff support for these tournaments continues to grow. It is like a small army traveling to put these tourneys on.

What does this have to do with the original post? I don't know. I guess it was and always will be a marketing tool. The main number one reason they do this is money. From the sponsors, FLW and the angler. (Well, at least the angler hopes for money!)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)