Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish Cribs

Message Subject: Fish Cribs
Jon
Posted 4/18/2006 10:25 AM (#42497)
Subject: Fish Cribs

I was wondering if anyone had experience on building fish habitats and/or fish cribs. I am looking for any ideas. I am wanting to add structure to a lake that is really lacking in this area. Good population of walleyes and smallies, just not much to hold em'. Any thoughts on good builds would be appreciated.
-Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 4/18/2006 10:51 AM (#42502 - in reply to #42497)
Subject: RE: Fish Cribs

I've seen some made of PVC piping and fittings in the shape of trees. I think they fill the base with concrete so they stand upright when they drop them in the water. Discarded Christmas trees also are used. Pallets tied together.

Here are some other ideas:

http://www.chetek.com/clpa/cribs.htm

http://www.agfc.state.ar.us/pdf/fisheries/newsletter/0700_fisheries... Page 10

http://www.agfc.state.ar.us/pdf/fisheries/BlackBassReport2003.pdf Page 37-40

Edited by Shep 4/18/2006 11:29 AM
Viking
Posted 4/18/2006 11:22 AM (#42503 - in reply to #42497)

Check with your DNR and/or state regs. In most states most types of cribs are illegal without a permit.
The Man!
Posted 4/20/2006 9:16 AM (#42646 - in reply to #42497)

Cut down a few trees and drag them on the ice twords the end of winter, tie a few cement blocks onto them with rope and watch them go down
Larrys
Posted 4/20/2006 12:06 PM (#42657 - in reply to #42497)

We made several for a lake on the ER chain. We cut down pines for 8 ft logs. We drilled holes in the end so that steel rebar rods could be pushed down through the logs and bent over on the ends. We shoved smaller branches through the slot in the bottom to create a floor and we put rocks on that bottom. We then put brush in the center area. We let them drop through the ice. The cribs have been in place for over 15 years damaged only by idiots dropping their anchors into the center. This pulled much of the brush out but the framework still stands in the three we checked with the camera last year. We did get DNR permits to place these cribs.

Larry Strelow
McFarland, WI
Albe
Posted 4/21/2006 1:30 PM (#42717 - in reply to #42497)

Jon - 4/18/2006 10:25 AMI was wondering if anyone had experience on building fish habitats and/or fish cribs. I am looking for any ideas. I am wanting to add structure to a lake that is really lacking in this area. Good population of walleyes and smallies, just not much to hold em'. Any thoughts on good builds would be appreciated. -Jon

Send me you e-mail address and I will send you a 7-page document on fish crib construction. If the lake is in Wisconsin you will need a permit. Contact your local DNR fisheries biologist and he will give you all of the information.

[email protected]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)