Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bass Pros Paying Themselves

Message Subject: Bass Pros Paying Themselves
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/14/2008 9:35 AM (#74769)
Subject: Bass Pros Paying Themselves

The PAA (Professional Anglers Association) bass pros to be specific, have created a very cool system to financially reward their members. Hopefully the walleye guys can get something like this started. Check it out:

http://bass.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/11.14.2008/1839/The.PAA.Anno...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sunshine
Posted 11/14/2008 12:06 PM (#74777 - in reply to #74769)
Subject: Re: Bass Pros Paying Themselves

It's a great concept. They must have deep pockets. Deeper pockets than what the walleye guys have I believe. It would be nice to see this in the future. What say you NPAA?
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/14/2008 2:29 PM (#74780 - in reply to #74777)

Here's the kicker folks. The funding comes from the membership dues. They are totally self-funded for this endeavor.

That's pretty impressive.
Sunshine
Posted 11/15/2008 6:15 AM (#74788 - in reply to #74769)

Like I said Dave, they must have deeper pockets and obviously more members.

Another way to look at this
They are just redistributing their own money. That part of it is nothing new. In most tournaments 85% or more of the payback is just redistribution of our own money. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I enter a tournament because I have a big ego and believe that I can win. I put my money up against yours because I believe I can win. That part is similar to Texas Hold 'em
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/15/2008 11:54 AM (#74794 - in reply to #74788)

Sunshine,

I find it pretty fascinating that they are paying themselves with their membership dues. I was surprised they didn't have an outside source, but I guess this allows them to no be beholden to any outside influence.

They also help run a couple of high-end tournaments and really use their membership dues to advance themselves.

The PAA really works hard at promoting themselves and their anglers. They've had their Texas Toyota Classic on CBS the last two years in a row.

Regarding tournaments, any entry fee tournament a person enters they play for their own money. Your poker analysis is dead on.

All in all its pretty cool that they are so proactive in promoting tournament fishing.

Edited by Fishing Fanatics 11/15/2008 11:57 AM
RedNeckTech
Posted 11/16/2008 1:06 AM (#74806 - in reply to #74794)

It's easy to see how the bass fishermen achieve this. They are very well organized and have the numbers. There are tens of thousands of small bass clubs around the country that compete for the fun of it and/or a small prize. The passion drives them, money is secondary. B.A.S.S. alone has over 640,000 members. If walleye fishing became as organized as bass it would achieve the same outcome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)