Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> G3 Axes Pro Staff

Message Subject: G3 Axes Pro Staff
KHedquist
Posted 11/17/2008 6:35 PM (#74844)
Subject: G3 Axes Pro Staff

Read that G3 axed their Pro Staff, getting out of the tournament fishing biz. Sign of the times.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
crosbystick
Posted 11/17/2008 6:55 PM (#74845 - in reply to #74844)
Subject: RE: G3 Axes Pro Staff

Where did u read that not entrirely true!!! As they are leaving the FLW that is true the rest is what speculation????
It's True
Posted 11/17/2008 8:20 PM (#74849 - in reply to #74844)

G3 axes pro staff
Monday, 17 November 2008

Photo: G3 BoatsG3 Boats has pulled the plug on its pro staff and is discontinuing its involvement in walleye tournaments altogether, according to pro staff members who received word of the moves last week.
The decision was relayed to pro staff members days before the 2009 FLW Tour schedule was released, which revealed G3 is no longer affiliated with FLW Outdoors as a sponsor. Among the pros impacted by G3's move are Jonathan Shoemaker, Jerry Ruffolo, Scott Witkop, Kevin Valerius, Chris Pluntz and Chad Schilling.

G3 marketing director Roger Bills was out of the office last week and couldn't be reached for comment.

"I'm a free agent at this point," Shoemaker said. "I've climbed the rankings each year I've fished the Tour and hopefully I've impressed enough people that someone will give me a chance next year. I don't think there's been a tougher time to be a tournament pro than right now I think it'll probably be a couple years before it rebounds.

"Guys who can establish themselves now, during these tough times will be that much better off down the road. The sponsors and anglers will all recognize who the people are that are willing to work hard."

Ruffolo, who'd been with G3 the past 3 years, was disappointed by the announcement.

"It was somewhat of a surprise," he said. "I'd wondered what was going on since I hadn't heard anything or received any information. I thought that this was a possibility that with Genmar's announcement that they'd be getting back into building aluminum boats that this was a way to move away from G3. But overall, with the current economic situation, it's not a big surprise."

Ruffolo, who's nearing retirement from his job at the Point Beach Nuclear Generating Station, isn't sure if he'll fish the Tour in 2009.

"There's a possibility I might skip next year," he said. "I haven't decided yet. I have to sit down with my wife and kids and discuss it. If I have to start from scratch, I'm going to do it. There are other things in life that take higher priority and the first thing is I have make sure my family's taken care of.

"The decision hurts me but I understand it. What I'm more concerned about are guys like Jonathan and Chad. They're the future of our sport and if they can't find a way to do it financially, I'm not sure how long the tournament thing can continue."

http://www.walleyefan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id...

crosbystick
Posted 11/18/2008 1:17 PM (#74869 - in reply to #74849)

They are out of the Flw and the Walleye Team was disbanded but there are still Pro staff. Its a big nut to crack to stay in the FLW tough times tough decisions. I Thank them for all they have done for me and all the great people along the way. They have a plan they will be back sooner than later, remember they are owned by Yamaha.

Shep
Posted 11/18/2008 3:43 PM (#74875 - in reply to #74869)

Nearing retirement? Jerry? Are you older than I thought? Or do they only expose you to the radiation for set time?

Sorry to hear about the G3 thing. You guys will do all right for your next boat company, I am sure.
Posted 11/18/2008 4:28 PM (#74876 - in reply to #74844)

Shep, nice guy, but for a guy who's retiring from fishing you sure post alot (joke) (thick skin)
Shep
Posted 11/19/2008 7:47 AM (#74893 - in reply to #74876)

Never said I was retirng from fishing. I said I was retiring from tournament fishing. Maybe. Nope, it's all rumors. It's over. I know I can compete at a high levvel. like I did last year. I just don't know if I want too. My sponsors want me too. I just don't know if I can commit to the many weekends away from the family. I mean, I missed 4 of my son's baseball games last year because of tournaments or prefishing for them. I think Steve and Zach should start up FamiliFirst.com.

I got my renewal to Operation Bass yesterday from the FLW. I haven't sent it in. Don't know if I will. But something is bound to happen when the League schedule comes out, and the entry deadline gets close. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Guest, you got a man-crush thing going on here, don't you? It's ok. you can remain anonymous. I'm flattered, but I am married, have kids, and I am hetero. Sorry.
Rich S
Posted 11/19/2008 9:43 AM (#74899 - in reply to #74844)
Subject: Re: G3 Axes Pro Staff

Everyone has there price Shep;)

Familifirst.com would be ok but chucknorrisfirst.com would be better!
WOULDN'T YA LIKE TO
Posted 11/19/2008 12:25 PM (#74902 - in reply to #74844)

Hey TIM I DON'T HAVE A MAN CRUSH ON YOU IT WAS A JOKE! Your not a celebrity, I am not anonymous, TIM I will talk to you..right to you..It was a joke because of the Brett Farve Thing, at least your realizing family is important and thats a stand up thing, as far as retiring, poop pr get off the pot.
ffmed
Posted 11/19/2008 3:52 PM (#74916 - in reply to #74844)

I know winter is coming and the boats are getting put away soon, but can't we all just get along! PEACE... LONG LIVE WALLEYE FISHING
sworrall
Posted 11/19/2008 7:34 PM (#74921 - in reply to #74844)

My sentiment exactly. The man crush thing is just....wrong.

Gonna be a long hard water season!
jerry
Posted 11/19/2008 8:03 PM (#74922 - in reply to #74921)

Retirement????? Not with the way my 401K is going in this stock market!!

I'm not sure where the retirement talk is coming from, but I am not as close as I'd like to be to retire. I could retire in about 8-9 years, but a realistic number is around 12 years.

When I spoke of work and tournament fishing, I made mention that I wasn't in a position, with a family to support, to put my job in jeopardy as it related to tournament fishing. I also said I was NOT about to start from scratch with a new boat company.

As for the G3 pro staff......well, you can call it what you like, but my limited knowledge of the bass pro staff makes me believe that G3 will be totally out of tournament fishing in the very near future. I wish them the best with their future and will look back on my association with them as a very positive experience.
Horshak
Posted 11/19/2008 8:35 PM (#74926 - in reply to #74844)

Jerry, you still have a 401K? Mine turned into a 201K. This market situation is worse than a divorce. I lost half my money but still have the wife!
Shep
Posted 11/20/2008 8:23 AM (#74938 - in reply to #74902)

WOULDN'T YA LIKE TO - 11/19/2008 12:25 PM

Hey TIM I DON'T HAVE A MAN CRUSH ON YOU IT WAS A JOKE! Your not a celebrity, I am not anonymous, TIM I will talk to you..right to you..It was a joke because of the Brett Farve Thing, at least your realizing family is important and thats a stand up thing, as far as retiring, poop pr get off the pot.

Sorry, I confused you with the other guest. Man, you guys gotta differentiate somehow. And I am a celebrity, maybe not in the fishing world, but to my daughter, I am. And that's all that matters. I'm going to the outhouse, now. Going to try, anyway. No promises.

Edited by Shep 11/20/2008 8:26 AM
Jayman
Posted 11/20/2008 10:55 AM (#74943 - in reply to #74844)

Jerry, best of luck in these changing times.

Take care.
Mark Komo
Posted 11/20/2008 11:28 AM (#74946 - in reply to #74844)

Yep, all celebritys. Thanks Jerry for the prefishing in Redwing, Jayman for the fishing on Fox in January, Shep for the fishing on Greenbay in July, and Horshak for the fishin in upper wisco in August.
Shep
Posted 11/20/2008 11:39 AM (#74947 - in reply to #74946)

Time for a Tuffy, Komo. I got just the boat for you. Then you can wear that hat for real.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)