Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> trolling w/ planer boards

Message Subject: trolling w/ planer boards
walleye slyr
Posted 4/12/2009 8:05 PM (#80081)
Subject: trolling w/ planer boards

i was thinking of doing a little more trolling this year but i dont do it very much maybe 5- 10 days a year. would it be worth it to buy a couple planer boards or just long line troll? are they very difficult to use? thanks for any advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viking
Posted 4/12/2009 9:29 PM (#80083 - in reply to #80081)
Subject: RE: trolling w/ planer boards

I was in your shoes just a couple of years ago -- I had never run planer boards and had little idea where to start. It is intimidating at first but some quality reading and some experience helped me feel more comfortable. I'm still no pro, but I am far more confident, especially running harnesses behind the boards.

First, there was an article in the April 2007 (?) FLW magazine that was VERY helpful. I've heard that In-Fisherman has some quality articles as well. The Precision Trolling Guide is indispensible.

Second, I was able to catch a seat with some good anglers that taught me a lot. Pre-fishing (thanks Shep) and fishing the FLW League on Bago was a huge push on the learning curve. Find a ride with someone that knows what they're doing and you'll speed your knowledge along tremendously.

Third (or maybe first), basic equipment is essential. Get some linecounter combos, Off-shore planer boards, and some decent rod holders. I'm on a budget so I haven't spent money on the more expensive set-ups but I did invest in a set of Cabela's linecounter combos and have been really happy with the performance.

Finally, get out on the water when there is a good trolling bite. For instance, Bago in mid-June provides a great opportunity to experiment and see some results and that is a big confidence booster.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)