Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???

Message Subject: Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???
RWS
Posted 4/5/2009 8:02 PM (#79910)
Subject: Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???

Power-Pro
Fireline
Stealth
Suffix
InVisi
FireLine Braid
Daiwa Samurai

I have a 7' 6" fast action medium light power spinning rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT 9030 reel, I have fireline on it from last fall, wanting to respool it for this year. Thanks for any input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iceman35
Posted 4/6/2009 5:46 AM (#79914 - in reply to #79910)
Subject: Re: Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???

I've used 10# power pro in the past on a spinning rod and didn't go well at all... I'd move up to 15or 20# test...
westside
Posted 4/9/2009 10:45 AM (#79991 - in reply to #79910)
Subject: RE: Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???

I had used 10/2 Power Pro for many years. This year I bumped it up slightly to 15# and think that is going to be my standard from here on out. For one thing the 10# is so thin and supple that I have had a few issues with wind knots, and that really sucks after dark. Another is the added confidence with bigger fish, including the occasional musky....and rocks. I have seen no loss in performance or strikes. Maybe have lost a few feet on the cast.
Big O
Posted 4/10/2009 5:40 PM (#80035 - in reply to #79910)

I use power-pro and like it the best because it's the roundist of them all and the knots dont slip like fireline.
Sunshine
Posted 4/11/2009 7:43 AM (#80045 - in reply to #80035)

Hhmmm.......

Been using 10 pound Power Pro for years with absolutely no problems. I will guess my lack of problems vs your wind knots is because of the type of rods we each use. I'd be curious to know if I am right. I generally use 7' rods that are medium light with a fast action tip for walleye fishing.

I like the idea of using 15 however only because my old eyes are getting harder to see the 10.
westside
Posted 4/13/2009 4:51 PM (#80118 - in reply to #79910)
Subject: RE: Which 10lb braid for 1/4oz stick baits ???

I use the Legend Tournament "Deep Cranker". It's a 7 foot rod with a fast action, a good deal faster than my Avid, that it replaced...kinda miss that Avid actually. The knot problem usually occured once or twice during the new line "break in" period and while the reel is FULL. It also didn't help to be casting relatively light sticks into 15-20MPH headwinds.
iceman35
Posted 4/14/2009 6:03 AM (#80142 - in reply to #79910)

I agree in that 10# is insane to tie knots... you guys got me thinking, I might get a spool of 15# to try out...
I used to have a little baitcating rod, (6ft med action) that I had 20# power pro on... I caught so many walleye and perch with that set up it was crazy... perch just loved those big husky jerks... walleyes too... throw little perch and walleye sized baits... nothing... put the 13 HJ on... fish would fall all over it...
yeah, I'm gonna get some 15# power pro, maybe rig up and spinning rod and baitcaster with it... see how it works...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)