Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> St. Croix Rods?

Message Subject: St. Croix Rods?
miket620
Posted 4/24/2009 3:52 PM (#80661)
Subject: St. Croix Rods?

I am narrowing my search for a vertical jigging rod down to either a Premier series 6' ML Fast, or a Avid series, 6'3" ML extra fast. Does anyone have experience with these rods? Is the Avid series that much more sensitive? (worth $70 more?) I also looked at the Avid series 6'3" medium extra fast, or is that rod too heavy for 1/8oz jigs?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mud Duck
Posted 4/24/2009 8:08 PM (#80666 - in reply to #80661)
Subject: RE: St. Croix Rods?

I personally really like the Avids. I feel they are worth the extra $. I've got a pair of 6'9" med. lights I like for vertical jigging. Over the years have grown to prefer a longer rod for vertical jigging. Preference has changed since the first rod I bought to use primarily for vertical jigging - a 5'4" Berkely Lightning Rod.
Sunshine
Posted 4/25/2009 6:37 AM (#80672 - in reply to #80666)

Mike:

Are you looking at spinning or baitcasting  for vertical jigging? Before I found Shimano rods all I used was St. Croix.

I have 2 Avid rods that are 6'-2" baitcasters in the garage that could go to a good home for the right price.

These are rods that I had for amateur boat partners and used very little. 

PM me if interested. I realy do not want to ship rods

westside
Posted 4/25/2009 11:47 AM (#80681 - in reply to #80661)

There is a big difference between a Premier and an Avid, yes definitely a $70.00 in feel. IMO the difference between the Premier and Avid is the biggest step up in the line. What I am trying to say is that after the Avid their seems to be a point of diminishing returns...you are getting a nicer stick at each step up but not as big of a difference to price as that first jump up beyond the Premier.
ffmed
Posted 4/29/2009 8:49 AM (#80872 - in reply to #80661)

I am selling some 1 year old 6' med light premiers with shimano sahara reels if interested
GNWC Rookie
Posted 4/29/2009 10:18 AM (#80883 - in reply to #80872)

Check out the St. Croix Mojos. I was pretty impressed with the 69MLXF that they have. I have a 69MLXF Avid, and think that the MOJO has a closer feel to the Avid than it does to the Premiere.

Even Bass guys can make a good rod once in a while. The Mojos are also around $90, which is a plus.
BrokenWing
Posted 5/4/2009 8:41 PM (#81036 - in reply to #80661)
Subject: Re: St. Croix Rods?

Hey I sent you a PM about building you a rod. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Thanks
Rich
GNWC Rookie
Posted 5/5/2009 9:52 AM (#81059 - in reply to #80883)

Just as a follow up, I picked up a Mojo 69MLXF last week and have been very happy with it. Gander had 25% off, so it came to $67.50. I ran it side by side with my Avid in the same model, and could hardly tell any difference. The only thing is, it takes a bit to get used to the different handle.

It also handles the big sheephead just fine. I caught one that was jet black, and filled the bottom of my net pretty well. I also used this rod to cast #5 Jointed Shad Raps in current, and it handled it well.
rodman1
Posted 5/5/2009 3:46 PM (#81071 - in reply to #81059)

Mojo Rods are built on same blanks as premiers , just look prettier.
"Marketing"
Tom Cooney
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)