Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Rods stuck in rod locker.

Message Subject: Rods stuck in rod locker.
Big O
Posted 7/12/2009 9:08 PM (#83204)
Subject: Rods stuck in rod locker.

OK these great big rod lockers built into the floor are really cool but....... Is any one ever had a issue with the rods getting stuck way up by the tips? there is seperate tubes but they must not be long enough or the tips seem to get cought on some thing way up front? Any one ever use the rod socks? Do they work for this purpose? are the cloth ones from Cabelas good or is the tent like material the way to go? Broken rods are a big downer so I need to figer out something
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Purple Skeeter
Posted 7/12/2009 10:07 PM (#83208 - in reply to #83204)
Subject: Re: Rods stuck in rod locker.

I always had the same problem in both my lockers until I made it a point to put a rod sock on everything before I put them away. I have the light blue nylon material and they work great. I'm able to double the amount of rods in each tube with no problems at all. I used to get the tips entangled in the end of the tube and the wiring....

Dominic

Edited by Purple Skeeter 7/12/2009 10:08 PM
Brad B
Posted 7/12/2009 10:09 PM (#83209 - in reply to #83204)

ROD SOCKS.... Lots of people use the tent style ones... I bought a few thousand feet of 2 mil plastic tubing and make my own by cutting them to length and melting an end with a lighter. Work pretty slick.
Big O
Posted 7/12/2009 10:15 PM (#83210 - in reply to #83204)

Want to sell enough to do 8- 7ft 6in rods. sounds like it works and the price must be right!!
Big O
Posted 7/12/2009 10:18 PM (#83211 - in reply to #83204)

Dominic do you happen to remember where you got your rod socks from and how much $ they were?
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 7/13/2009 6:11 AM (#83214 - in reply to #83211)

I use the Bass Pro Rod Socks...I think they are $3.99 unless you can find them on sale.
Here is a link
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_1...
They work fine...
Brad B
Posted 7/13/2009 8:03 AM (#83215 - in reply to #83204)

Big O - PM sent.
Hafe
Posted 7/13/2009 7:08 PM (#83243 - in reply to #83215)

I got tired of taking the rod socks off and putting them away- and getting them back out again.....so I glued the end of the sock to the tube. No more stuck rods or putting them away. A little spay on adhesive in the tubes and a cork to set them in place. Hope this helps, now where are the fish biting on Bago?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 7/13/2009 11:35 PM (#83256 - in reply to #83243)

Gander Mountain.... I bought so many over the last 10 years, I'm not sure how much I ever paid for them, $3.00 each ?? I like the Nylon material... it dries quickly.

Dominic
Big O
Posted 7/13/2009 11:45 PM (#83257 - in reply to #83204)

Great Idea!! Sounds like I wasen't the olny one to have rod locker issues!!
I wish I knew the answer to the elusive walleye question Hafe!! 2 weeks ago I had very good answers but since the cold front and all the big west blows I seem to find olny Goats and great whites! Old guy at the landing today had about 15 nice perch off the reefs around Oshkosh, He said he was out 6 hours and 5 of them he never got a bite. goes to show the feeding window is getting shorter by the day. seems like I fish all day for that 1 hour feeding window. I think Bago is getting very close to the mid-summer low. It's not nasty neon green but all the wind may have flushed the alge as quick as it can grow!! I was marking surface temp today at 74-76.
Big O
Posted 7/13/2009 11:52 PM (#83258 - in reply to #83204)

Dominic, cherish the ones you have!! I was at Gander today and they do not carry any nylon rod socks any more olny the "rod slick" and at a over priced $10 each they can sit on there shelves and rot! I think Brad B. could be on to something in his find/creation. Hopefuly this weekend I can get in touch with him to check out the invention!
Shep
Posted 7/14/2009 6:42 AM (#83263 - in reply to #83258)

I've been using the LindyRod Control socks, since my Mom hasn't been able to sew up up custom fit ones for me. They work nice, and come in 6.5', 7.5' and 8.5' lengths. I gotta get some more today, cuz I left some in Jason's boat last month!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)