Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> What's Your Favorite Fishing Show?

Message Subject: What's Your Favorite Fishing Show?
Wall Eye
Posted 3/15/2006 4:11 PM (#40945)
Subject: What's Your Favorite Fishing Show?

Hi everyone,

I am new into walleye fishing and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which TV shows to watch to help me out?? What is everyone's favorite fishing show?? Thanks in advance!!

Wall Eye
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shink
Posted 3/15/2006 5:01 PM (#40949 - in reply to #40945)
Subject: RE: What's Your Favorite Fishing Show?

The Next Bite
jerry
Posted 3/15/2006 5:26 PM (#40952 - in reply to #40945)

Midwest Adventures, then The Next Bite, and then John Gillespie's Waters and Woods. Unfortunately I rarely get to watch any of these shows.
Matt.G
Posted 3/15/2006 5:32 PM (#40953 - in reply to #40945)

The Next Bite is the best fishing show I have ever watched. Lot's of info and great tips. I also like the PWT walleye tournaments DVDs.
Terry/JNR
Posted 3/15/2006 9:47 PM (#40963 - in reply to #40945)

I would sugest not picking any one "favorite". Even the worst put on fishing show can give you a tip that could put more walleyes in your live well or preferable, more pictures in your album. Everyone does somthing a little different. Don't even be afraid to combine a couple techniques. Maybe we'll wind up watching YOUR show! Good luck. Theres nothing better than being on the water and every trip is a learning experience.:)
Posted 3/15/2006 9:59 PM (#40965 - in reply to #40945)

the infishermen wouldnt be bad if they didnt try to pimp their sponsers so much. rapala makes some awesome baits but so does storm and reef runner....
walleye express
Posted 3/16/2006 7:29 AM (#40976 - in reply to #40965)

The Best and Worst of Tred Barta, when he's fishing. That new show about Mako Shark Tournaments, them boys are insane. The Next Bite and Anglers Edge. You did just say fishing shows.

Edited by walleye express 3/16/2006 7:31 AM
Shep
Posted 3/16/2006 7:29 AM (#40977 - in reply to #40965)

I like several. They all have something to offer. Next Bite, GMan, Anglers edge, In-Fish, MW Outdoors. I don't think In-Fish pimps any more than the others. Probably less than some. Advertising is what gets them on TV.
Bigfoot
Posted 3/16/2006 9:49 AM (#40985 - in reply to #40945)

Capt. Dan, You should remember this one as the "BEST".

"It's 7:00 O'Clock Thursday Night, Time for Michigan Out-of-doors"
The guys that set the standards for outdoors shows. Mort Neff and his crew were by far the best.

Rick
walleye express
Posted 3/16/2006 1:36 PM (#40993 - in reply to #40985)

Bigfoot - 3/16/2006 10:49 AM

Capt. Dan, You should remember this one as the "BEST".

"It's 7:00 O'Clock Thursday Night, Time for Michigan Out-of-doors"
The guys that set the standards for outdoors shows. Mort Neff and his crew were by far the best.

Rick

Your absolutley right Rick.

Mort Neff, Jerry Chepetta and Howard Shelly were pioneers for that type TV viewing in the late 50's, and we never missed an episode. They entertained and brought the outdoors into everybodies house when only 60% of the public even had a TV. And kept their quality shows up for near 30 years. And even though I got to be on that show twice when Fred Trost and Bob Garner took it over, it lost most of it's family oriented outdoor charm under new managment.

Edited by walleye express 3/16/2006 2:03 PM
Bigfoot
Posted 3/16/2006 1:55 PM (#40996 - in reply to #40945)

Man do I miss that show. Your right about the way the show changed after Fred took it over and lost the law suit over deer scents. Ya remember all the great segments with Mort or Howard Shelley about everything from the deer that would come and eat out of your hand or the Grouse that took over the farm yard and many more. You always knew what was going on in Michigan that week. I had the pleasure of hunting and fishing with them back then. The best one was a deer camp in Grayling one year and I got to hunt with Mort, Howard , Fred Bear and Ted Nugent. Man was that a thrill. Is there a way to find out if the old shows are available? I'd love to get copies of them!!!!!!
walleye express
Posted 3/16/2006 2:11 PM (#40997 - in reply to #40996)

Bigfoot - 3/16/2006 2:55 PM

Man do I miss that show. Your right about the way the show changed after Fred took it over and lost the law suit over deer scents. Ya remember all the great segments with Mort or Howard Shelley about everything from the deer that would come and eat out of your hand or the Grouse that took over the farm yard and many more. You always knew what was going on in Michigan that week. I had the pleasure of hunting and fishing with them back then. The best one was a deer camp in Grayling one year and I got to hunt with Mort, Howard , Fred Bear and Ted Nugent. Man was that a thrill. Is there a way to find out if the old shows are available? I'd love to get copies of them!!!!!!

Rick.

Remember the one about the deer that lived right in the house with the people. Watched TV and sleped right in the bed with the kids. When Fred lost the lawsuit, he lost all the old films and copyrights to them to the "Buck Stop" lure company who sued him. You might want to contact the new Michigan-out-of-doors show people at MUCC in Lansing. I've done about 6 fishing shows with them over the last 10 years, and they just might know what strings to pull for the info. Heres an E-mail address to start with [email protected]

Edited by walleye express 3/16/2006 2:13 PM
stacker
Posted 3/16/2006 3:03 PM (#41001 - in reply to #40945)

You guys are old, Mort neff was off that show way before I was watching. What year was it that you hunted with Mort neff and howard shelley and Ted Nugent. Ted musta' been really young and still quite the detriot city madman at that time. I for one still back Fred Trost. I believe he did a unbiased breakdown of the scents that were on the market and reported it accordingly. We used to have over 20 guys at my house just to watch the show together every thursday back in the mid 80's. It was always a good time. It always aired on pbs as well, does it still air on pbs? Old memories are just welling up. Thanks

walleye express
Posted 3/16/2006 4:40 PM (#41007 - in reply to #41001)

stacker - 3/16/2006 4:03 PM

You guys are old, Mort neff was off that show way before I was watching. What year was it that you hunted with Mort neff and howard shelley and Ted Nugent. Ted musta' been really young and still quite the detriot city madman at that time. I for one still back Fred Trost. I believe he did a unbiased breakdown of the scents that were on the market and reported it accordingly. We used to have over 20 guys at my house just to watch the show together every thursday back in the mid 80's. It was always a good time. It always aired on pbs as well, does it still air on pbs? Old memories are just welling up. Thanks

Staker.

I'll be 54 in May, but Morts show is one of the very first I remember watching. I never personally hunted with any of those guys, but do remember watching "The Nuge" compete with other groups when he was "Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes" and their hit single was (Journey to the center of your mind). Other groups like "Question Mark and the Mysterians" (96 tears) "Fridgid Pink" "MC-5" (Kick out the Jams) "Brownsville Station" (Smokin In The boys Room) and many others made frequent appearences at the local Battle of the Bands, at Tony's park in Bay City.

Fred Totally lost his original show and his PBS spot. He does still do a show on a Detroit station, but I've heard it is not that great. Mostly talking points and little if any outdoor fishing or hunting action. Bob Garner left Fred, started a show with MUCC's help and has the same name as MUCC's magazine wich is Michigan-Out-Of-Doors. Close to the original, but not the same.

Edited by walleye express 3/16/2006 4:46 PM
Bigfoot
Posted 3/16/2006 6:45 PM (#41018 - in reply to #40945)

It was back in the 70's when we did the hunt. Again we did one in the early 80's when Fred had the show. In fact on one of the hunts I won a custom Phil Grable recurve bow. I think it was called a "Black Widow". One mistake I made was the name it was "Michigan Outdoors". Is Fred still an attoney? We need to see if the shows can be put on DVD.
walleye express
Posted 3/17/2006 8:00 AM (#41040 - in reply to #41018)

Bigfoot - 3/16/2006 7:45 PM

It was back in the 70's when we did the hunt. Again we did one in the early 80's when Fred had the show. In fact on one of the hunts I won a custom Phil Grable recurve bow. I think it was called a "Black Widow". One mistake I made was the name it was "Michigan Outdoors". Is Fred still an attoney? We need to see if the shows can be put on DVD.

Rick.

Yup. Fred started back to school when he seen the writing on the wall, and took the Bar exam a couple times before passing I heard. I'm not sure just how he has expanded on that, or even if he has. He tried to sue MIchigan-Out-Of-Doors when they first started on the air, because of their close relative names. They even aired right after each other for a while. If nothing else Fred is stubborn. I was told he had a chance to settle the law suit that bankrupted him and the show. He simply had to let the "Buck Stop" people explain their side of the story on his show for 15 minutes. He wouldn't do it. I don't know why, but I have a strange respect for a guy who will cut his nose off to spite his face. Probably because I've done it a few times myself.

Edited by walleye express 3/17/2006 8:02 AM
stacker
Posted 3/17/2006 9:46 AM (#41053 - in reply to #40945)

You remember when bay city central had fundraiser concerts? Lets see, one year we seen the babys open for Ted Nugent in a thunderstorm and another year it was Bob seager and the silver bullet band. I forget who the other band was. There was a huge jam at the sand bar and marine in the late 70's as well. Man, them were the days. Is there still alot of live music in Bay City?
walleye express
Posted 3/17/2006 11:10 AM (#41059 - in reply to #41053)

stacker - 3/17/2006 10:46 AM

You remember when bay city central had fundraiser concerts? Lets see, one year we seen the babys open for Ted Nugent in a thunderstorm and another year it was Bob seager and the silver bullet band. I forget who the other band was. There was a huge jam at the sand bar and marine in the late 70's as well. Man, them were the days. Is there still alot of live music in Bay City?

Wow Stacker.

I never realized you were a local Boy. The Sands has long been closed. The old "Ace of Clubs" on Bay Rd. has become a Dejavous strip club, but I've only heard about this from friends.

Bay Cities new attraction is called the "Shell" It's right on the river at the end of Center Ave, next to the now closed Mill End store. Remember the first PWT in Bay City, when Storm Lures flew their little blimp off Mill Ends Roof, and sold Tot's four for $10.00. Anyway, the Shell is always rocking with the oldies groups virtually all summer long. The Grass Roots, War, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Franky Valley, and to many others to name. And our fireworks are next to none. They spent over 50K on them last year for the four night event. Combine that with the professional River Roar boat races, the Pig Gig and the PWT coming back, and our little city on the Bay is like Disney Land from June to August.

Edited by walleye express 3/17/2006 11:11 AM
stacker
Posted 3/17/2006 11:30 AM (#41060 - in reply to #40945)

The shell is where the weigh in was for the first pwt in 1990 I was in aw of these guys. When the mwc was in town in 86 i think, parsons and kavaczxyk LOL won it and showed some saginaw guys how to fish. The mill end store, I was 4 or 5 and we made the long trip from saginaw to bay city to the mill end, hahah I gopt lost in all that STUFF.

The sawmill, that place rocked. I still have a match book with there slogan, "Get buzzed at the sawmill" I cleaned out my moms house recently and found a plastic mug from the sands bar, ya know the ones, buy a 5 dollar glass and drink as heavily as you can for the next 6 hours fo free.

And dont forget tubbys pub.
walleye express
Posted 3/17/2006 1:31 PM (#41065 - in reply to #41060)

stacker - 3/17/2006 12:30 PM

The shell is where the weigh in was for the first pwt in 1990 I was in aw of these guys. When the mwc was in town in 86 i think, parsons and kavaczxyk LOL won it and showed some saginaw guys how to fish. The mill end store, I was 4 or 5 and we made the long trip from saginaw to bay city to the mill end, hahah I gopt lost in all that STUFF.

The sawmill, that place rocked. I still have a match book with there slogan, "Get buzzed at the sawmill" I cleaned out my moms house recently and found a plastic mug from the sands bar, ya know the ones, buy a 5 dollar glass and drink as heavily as you can for the next 6 hours fo free.

And dont forget tubbys pub.

I think you are correct, it might have even been 1985 as I was in that first "Manufacturers Walleye Tournament" based out of Wicks Park in Saginaw. Where Kalkofen (as director) and many other now famous names made their debute. But Parsons and Kav. had a little fish-finding navagation help on day two from a friend of mine (Bob Sucowey) and his wife. Few people knew about the Bay bite back then or how to catch them, but Bob was one of them. Hell, most of us assumed it was only a river tournament until day 2. So Me and my bud stayed on the Rivers both days and mustered 2 limits of male dinks. But they were not going to compete with the spent (Hog Hens) that Bob and the Parson team brought in from the Bay shorelines.

Edited by walleye express 3/17/2006 1:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)