Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Powder paint for jigs

Message Subject: Powder paint for jigs
Scrap Iron
Posted 4/11/2006 8:16 PM (#42298)
Subject: Powder paint for jigs

I've been using the powder paint on the jigs I make for a while now and they turn out decent. But as soon as I make a cast and bounce them off a few rocks they chip. Does anyone have any methods on making the coating more durable? I've heard of some people baking them in the oven for a while, does anyone know if that works? What temp and how long?
I usually just heat the jig up with a torch and dip it and let it cool off. If anyone has any different methods that work better I'd like to hear them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1tacklebox
Posted 4/11/2006 8:54 PM (#42299 - in reply to #42298)
Subject: RE: Powder paint for jigs

To cure the paint to a harder finish it is advised to put then in an oven for 20 to 25 minutes at 250 degrees. It is best to come up with a way to hang them, as the paint will run and make a flat spot if they are baked laying down.
tolden
Posted 4/12/2006 6:11 AM (#42303 - in reply to #42299)

I second the bake proceedure. My buddy ties my hair jigs for me and he hardens them in the oven. I bounce these of all kinds of wingdams on the river and they hold up extremely well.

walleye express
Posted 4/12/2006 8:06 AM (#42309 - in reply to #42298)

Few things will make them chip proof when being bounced off rocks on the cast. But I've found dipping them in clear vinyl head cement, or brushing on a fly tying product called "Head Strong" (a clear flexible cement) made by Angling evolutions, keeps them from chipping quit a while longer.

Edited by walleye express 4/12/2006 8:08 AM
Jayman
Posted 4/12/2006 8:36 AM (#42314 - in reply to #42298)

Baking is a good method to harden the paint. Although they will still chip if bounced off rocks and such, just not as severe. If you do decide to bake them, clean the eyes on your jig first. If you have a gob of paint on the eye and then bake, it can be a real pain in the rump to bust the eye clear to tie on.

Good luck
Posted 4/12/2006 9:26 AM (#42319 - in reply to #42298)

Baking i found works the best. JUST CHECK WITH YOUR SPOUSE PRIOR TO USING THE OVEN OR YOU MAY FIND THOSE JIGS IN THE TRASH.
otwadoug
Posted 4/12/2006 9:29 AM (#42320 - in reply to #42298)

From years of making jigs this is my experience. All jigs chip when you bounce them off rocks and alike. Lead is soft and will dent. If you use powder and even if you bake it it will still chip, just not as much. That is why we never used the powder bait. We used acylics and the final coat was a 2 part epoxy that was thick and absorbed some of the impacts and also because it was flexible and would dent with the lead.
Doug
Scrap Iron
Posted 4/12/2006 11:01 AM (#42323 - in reply to #42298)

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good information. I'll try baking them this weekend and see if that helps. I like the idea of putting a top coat on too. I might try that eventually.
I guess I shouldn't have said I was bouncing them off of rocks but rather jigging in rocky conditions.
Fibtat
Posted 4/13/2006 1:33 PM (#42387 - in reply to #42298)

I use a heat gun to heat my jigs for painting.It's efficient and probably safer then a torch.I think I paid $12-15 at Menards' ten years ago.It even has a stand built into the handle so you have two hands free.After the jigs cool,I clean out the eyes( I use a small sharp pick),I reheat them over gun until the paint goes through a transition.A little more color can be easily added at this time.It's probably not as good as baking them but it's easier and eliminates complaints from the domestic department.I tried baking them but find the temps. and times had to be just right and different paints,colors and brands,acted differently. If you want to paint jigs buy the heat gun!
P.S. Scott B.,your order is ready! When should I deliver them?
Richfish
Posted 4/14/2006 8:49 AM (#42414 - in reply to #42298)

Do not bake/ cure them in the oven you cook your food in.

They are toxic.

You will be putting toxins in your oven that will be there for some time.

Do not cure them in a oven used for food.

Read the packaging for each type they are diif. temps. for curing.

Get a small toster oven for curing them.
Finbtat
Posted 4/14/2006 2:58 PM (#42418 - in reply to #42298)

Good information,Richfish!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)