Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> PWT Winneconne, Day Two

Message Subject: PWT Winneconne, Day Two
sworrall
Posted 4/19/2006 9:37 PM (#42631)
Subject: PWT Winneconne, Day Two

Clear skies and breezy conditions are forecast today with temperatures in the low 70's. Winds are to hit 15 to 20 MPH this afternoon. Day one leader Ken Van Oss said he had no idea whether his fish would still be where they were yesterday, echoing a common theme amongst most of the field; no one I spoke with is sure where the spawned out females are. All 5 of Ken's fish yesterday were males. He said he hadn't caught a female walleye all week.

The difficulty in finding the fish is the length of the stretch or river they can be in at any one time, and the time it takes to travel through the no wake zones. If one was to try to fish new London, where there is reportedly a large pod of fish, one MIGHT have 45 minutes to fish, and the rest of the tournament day spent getting there and back.

Veteran Pro Jeff Taege was burned yesterday by a No Wake zone, mistakenly running it on plane, an automatic DQ for the event. WalleyeFIRST Radio will be airing an interview this morning with Charlie Moore, PWT Tournament Director, about that incident.

Stay with WalleyeFIRST this afternoon for the Live Leaderboard beginning a bit after 3 PM.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_0185.JPG)

(DSC_0192.JPG)

(DSC_0247.JPG)

(DSC_0222.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0185.JPG (71KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0192.JPG (118KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0247.JPG (105KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0222.JPG (97KB - 113 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MartyB
Posted 4/20/2006 7:51 AM (#42633 - in reply to #42631)
Subject: RE: PWT Winneconne, Day Two

Veteran Pro Jeff Taege was burned yesterday by a No Wake zone, mistakenly running it on plane,

QUOTE]

Mistakenly??? Come on. The only mistake is that someone caught him. I saw boats going under the Hwy 41 bridge on plane this morning.....
Kid
Posted 4/20/2006 8:05 AM (#42634 - in reply to #42631)

WOW, it's pretty funny how some people can assume things SO QUICKLY!
jackglasseye
Posted 4/20/2006 8:10 AM (#42635 - in reply to #42633)

Gotta agree ... "Play the game, know the rules", something my dad taught me a long time ago! Couple of locals doing well as pros and c-anglers, that is great!
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 8:10 AM (#42636 - in reply to #42633)

Actually, in Mr. Taege's case the infraction WAS unintentional. There were multiple Pro boats in the area so his infraction was reported quickly; he simply didn't pay enough attention to the no wake markers and apparently thought he was through the zone. If anyone did operate full throttle through a no wake zone this morning, I'd bet there will be more DQ's.

Also, there were at least a dozen big rigs out there I saw this morning that were NOT tournament boats, so the boat you saw could have been anyone.
martyb
Posted 4/20/2006 8:19 AM (#42637 - in reply to #42636)

Yeah, at 7:20 this morning the train running from Winneconne to Winnebago had lots of non-tournament boats.

sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 8:25 AM (#42638 - in reply to #42637)

I was at the bridge just after that timeframe and saw a couple boats, I must not have been there early enough to see the 'train' you describe. How far from the bridge does one have to go to no wake? You say you saw 'boats' on plane through the bridge, how many? As I said, if anyone IN the event sees another boat break the no wake rule, they'll likely turn 'em in.
martyb
Posted 4/20/2006 8:39 AM (#42641 - in reply to #42638)

The one I saw was a red Ranger, right between the bridges (I was on the bridge). There was a steady line of boats as far to the west as I could see heading east....
Shawn
Posted 4/20/2006 9:09 AM (#42644 - in reply to #42631)

I think it is really too bad that he was DQ'd for the event. I can see one day but the the whole tour, Come on.
Also I think its too bad that people talk bad about big boats and tourneys .We all should be excited that such a tourney is in town here.They teach all of us alot about fishing even if you admit it or not. I think its GREAT that the PRO's are here.I feel for them that the fishing is so slow,hope that it picks up for these warriors before they leave town.
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 9:12 AM (#42645 - in reply to #42644)

Shawn,
In the interview, PWT Tournament Director Charlie Moore said he didn't WANT to DQ the angler for the tournament, but the rules on the No Wake Zones are there for the safety of everyone on the water, especially in the river where it is crowded in some areas.
WF
Posted 4/20/2006 9:36 AM (#42648 - in reply to #42645)

Day Two images and audio interviews are up, check the front page:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/20/2006 9:57 AM (#42649 - in reply to #42631)

The no Wake zone on the 41 bridge is just under the bridge..... I fish there quite a bit in the spring and summer (my grandparents lived on Sunset Point for 65 years) It has always been a problem area with guys fishing right under the bridge and pleasure and fishing boats going full blast under the bridge...

I know guys should know the rules... but if you don't know the bridge is no-wake, by the time you reach it at speed... it's too late.

I hope the PWT explains area's like this, the river in Oshkosh can be a confusing palce to travel in a boat... so give these guys a break, I can't imagine anyone in this tournament would break the rules on the no wake areas on purpose!

Purple Skeeter

Kid
Posted 4/20/2006 1:00 PM (#42660 - in reply to #42631)

For any of you who were interested in wanting to know the exact spot of where Mr. Taege was DQ'd north of Freemont on the Wolf River.
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 1:05 PM (#42662 - in reply to #42660)

Jeff is a consumate Pro and a great stick, and will recover from his mistake. It happens.
bw
Posted 4/20/2006 3:31 PM (#42671 - in reply to #42631)

So does his AM get to keep the weight and now do they have to one too many AM's and and short one pro?
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 6:02 PM (#42676 - in reply to #42671)

Unfortunately, another Pro fell victim to not having a clear understanding of the No Wake zones. Gentleman and Pro Doc Samson was DQ'd today for running in a No Wake Zone.
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2006 6:09 PM (#42677 - in reply to #42676)

The tough bite continued today as the fish stayed North another day. Some of the Pros said they have abandoned trying to wait the River fish out, and have moved to plan B. The weather looks like rain tomorrow and cooler temperatures, as a front slips through the area. Stay with WalleyeFIRST the PWT Final Day morning ceremonies and weigh in!

(DSC_0032.JPG)

(DSC_0005.JPG)

(DSC_0019.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0032.JPG (100KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0005.JPG (110KB - 94 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0019.JPG (81KB - 94 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)