Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ringworm HomeBoys.

Message Subject: Ringworm HomeBoys.
walleye express
Posted 1/13/2007 4:23 PM (#50529)
Subject: Ringworm HomeBoys.

Had a ball today on the Saginaw River very near to my home. It's really ironic that living virtually at the mouth of the Saginaw River, I most often end up 25 to 55 miles upstream, trying to catch fish that almost swim by my house, less then 1/2 a mile away on their way upstream.

A call this morning from a friend telling me about his decent catch yesterday, gave me enough ambition to get off the couch and into a brisk NE wind and 29 degree air temps. And buddy she was cold. And most of you might not consider it worth the effort, being all the fish we caught were sub-legal. But we had a ball and I'll explain why.

We started in the main river but never had a touch for almost 2 hours. Decided to see how rough it really was on the Bay and maybe sneak into the Hot Ponds. Well, before we got near the mouth I could feel the corners of my eyeballs starting to freeze shut from the cold. So we slipped into a frieghter mooring area at a stone dock, almost across from Essexviless Smith Park boat launch.

Even though the graph was showing more fish big/small high/low then it would on "Display Mode" in the store, nothing would bite as we drifted along virtical jigging. So I had a brain storm that we tie up on the wall out of the wind and quarter cast with the jigs. We did so for about 30 minutes with no bites.

Having a rod already rigged with a ringworm and a 1/32 ounce jig head in the boat, I took a off handed cast into the 30 feet of water in this canal. I'm guessing the jig took a good minute to fall the 30 feet to the bottom, but when I made that first little hop, something grabbed it. I boated 6 or 7 fish in a row and ended up catching maybe 5 more. All to small of course but fun non the less, on a technique I just learned and on a bait I'm starting to like.

Edited by walleye express 1/13/2007 4:29 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IM001284.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM001284.JPG (61KB - 73 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GNWC Rookie
Posted 1/13/2007 6:14 PM (#50531 - in reply to #50529)
Subject: RE: Ringworm HomeBoys.

Dan,

The ringworm is one of the river anglers best friends. It's extremely popular on Pool 4 of the Mississippi and is quickly making it's way downstream and accross the country. Keep probing the shallows with your ringies in the early morning and you will eventually develop a big fish pattern.

There is nothing like the bite of a 20+ inch Walleye smacking a ringworm. It looks like you were using a Stewart Pro Blue there. That blue color has been good to us here in Wisconsin.
walleye express
Posted 1/13/2007 7:51 PM (#50533 - in reply to #50531)
Subject: RE: Ringworm HomeBoys.

First time I used one was a few weeks ago while fishing at night. I caught a nice fish and lost 4 others in water less then 4 Feet deep.

(IM001272.JPG)

(IM001271.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM001272.JPG (42KB - 76 downloads)
Attachments IM001271.JPG (56KB - 76 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)