Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> harness lengths

Message Subject: harness lengths
Bhill
Posted 6/1/2007 10:33 PM (#56668)
Subject: harness lengths

I am going to try some inline weights this year and was wondering how long you guys tie the harness for inlines vs snap weights. MOst of my harness are about 4 feet long. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fishnfool
Posted 6/2/2007 9:26 AM (#56676 - in reply to #56668)
Subject: RE: harness lengths

bhill I tie mine about 5 to 6ft long I like that length because I believe that when your near the bottom the blade makes the harness come up a little bit a shorter length keeps it to close to the bottom. Other then that when high in the column I think the weight may spook the fish so I like to get it away from the harness. I had instinces where the weight was being hit befor the harness
Jim Ordway
Posted 6/2/2007 3:02 PM (#56683 - in reply to #56676)

Bhill,
In clear water (like Bago) you might want to run as long as ten feet and as the line abraids, you can retie you line on down to 6 feet without having to change you leader.
The obvious issue with a ten foot leader is you need at least a 7 foot rod to get the fish up to the surface, and longer is better. Tie some 6s and 10s and see what works best on a given day.
Good luck,
Jim O
Purple Skeeter
Posted 6/3/2007 12:22 AM (#56702 - in reply to #56683)

I tie all my harnesses exactly 5 feet 3 & 1/2 inches long because that's how wide my arms are... but seriously, I like them just long enough so that I can hook them up with an in-line weight attached on my 8 foot Gander Mountain Trolling Rods.  I have tried longer and shorter and have not found much difference either on Bago or the Bay.  I also paint my weights Chartruese and Orange so I get them back from my buddies when I loan them my weights for the day.

Purple Skeeter

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/3/2007 12:23 AM
Jayman
Posted 6/5/2007 10:03 AM (#56812 - in reply to #56668)
Subject: Re: harness lengths

Bhill,

Like PS, I use an arm's length, I'm 6'3" so my leaders come out to about 5-1/2-6' long. For inline weights, I'd highly recommend the Bass Pro XPS inline keel weights. They're pricey, but the fish don't get spooked from 'em....in fact I've had fish try to eat 'em already.
budsbud66
Posted 6/5/2007 10:28 AM (#56813 - in reply to #56668)

I run an honest armlengths.. and for bottom bouncers i tie up shorties..

I run PA's weighted divers instead of inlines.. they are 5/8 oz with diving bills.. they give the harness a very nice action..

g'luck

50/50 weights are a thing of the past!
Jayman
Posted 6/5/2007 10:29 AM (#56814 - in reply to #56813)

"50/50 weights are a thing of the past!"

I wouldn't say that......some day it'll bite you in the arse!
SHA
Posted 6/5/2007 4:03 PM (#56841 - in reply to #56668)

Any know were a place to buy in-line weights....1oz up to 3oz.
Sunshine
Posted 6/5/2007 4:07 PM (#56844 - in reply to #56841)

I like 6' lengths

I use Tommy Harris in-line weights. Great quality. Few people know that Tommy even makes them. I have had numerous situations now where I know that the fish have hit the in-line. seems to me that it works as an indicator too
BayerNecessities
Posted 6/6/2007 5:57 AM (#56879 - in reply to #56668)

Lures Unlimited makes in-line weights that shad shaped with 3-D eyes. They vacuum metalized in gold, copper, and silver. Current sizes available are 3/4, 1, 1 1/2. You can buy them at Gander Mountian in Ft. Wayne, IN, or call 419/265-0126. I use a 4' harness behind them. They are easy and effective.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)