Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> VHS disinfection

Message Subject: VHS disinfection
Larrys
Posted 5/23/2007 9:18 AM (#56227)
Subject: VHS disinfection

I have a product that is specifically designed for disinfection in the aquaculture industry and is labelled for VHS. It is a dry powder that is mixed with water and applied. Fewer problems than dealing with bleach. It is called Virkon Aquatic.
I'll try to bring some to the Mack's 100 tourney. Additionally hot water >55 degrees centigade (as quoted by the state aquaculture veterinarian) or about 132 degrees F would be effective on surfaces you do not want exposed to chemicals.

Larry Strelow
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim Ordway
Posted 5/23/2007 3:55 PM (#56259 - in reply to #56227)
Subject: RE: VHS disinfection

Larry,
What is the cost this product per application, 5 or 10 gallons of water, or some other benchmark.
I could see how bleach can cause numerous issues with odor and toxicity.
Thanks,
Jim O
Larrys
Posted 5/23/2007 6:19 PM (#56266 - in reply to #56227)
Subject: Re: VHS disinfection

Jim:
Cost is about $15 per pound depending on quantity ordered. You use 1.3 oz per gallon and this will treat about 135 square feet of surface. Ten minute contact time, then you can rinse. Stable for 7 days after mixing. It comes in a 10 pound pail. I can get some to John D if you want to try it. I should have a couple pails next week.
Jim Ordway
Posted 5/23/2007 10:12 PM (#56275 - in reply to #56266)

Larry,
I did a search on the product and it seems pretty nasty in the powder form.
It also has the same issues as household bleach as far as disposal and corrosiveness. We are going to have a problem with any product that with these issues, but then again, what choice do we now have?
Thanks,
Jim O
Magruter
Posted 5/24/2007 8:48 AM (#56283 - in reply to #56227)
Subject: RE: VHS disinfection

http://www.pharmacal.com/MSDS/US/MSDSVirkonS.pdf
Material Safety Data Sheet. Seems like some pretty nasty stuff.

Larrys
Posted 5/24/2007 9:39 AM (#56285 - in reply to #56227)

Virkon Aquatic is different than Virkon S. I have used Virkon S and I never found it to be a human hazzard. You don't want to create a dust storm. We walked cattle through a foot bath twice a day for weeks to curtail the spread of a foot infection. I'll personally check the corrosive nature and biodegradability of the solution. The powder will never come in contact with anything. I still think it will be less hazzardous and more convenient than bleach whose MSDS is worse yet.
You can sweep up the spillage and it is nonreactive if kept dry. Several of us will be using it and we'll report back. I plan on carrying a small hand sprayer and I'll rinse off site with a similar sprayer so volume will be small.
Larrys
Posted 6/7/2007 3:01 PM (#56961 - in reply to #56227)

I've used the Virkon Aqua a couple times. The powder is like tide detergent. No odor or irritation and once the solution is mixed it is not irritating to eyes or skin. I actually add a little citrus deodorizor when spraying down my livewells. It is easy to carry in the 10 lb tub and a 1/1000 dilution is reported to kill VHS. I prepare a stock 1/100 solution weekly in a spray bottle and dump several ounces in my bilge. I drive down the road for 10-20 minutes to slosh it around and then pull the plug and let it drain out. It is not an environmental hazzard. I rinse the bilge when I get home. It is corrosive to metal with long term exposure. It kills all that funky stuff that is growing on the worm bedding and decayed crawlers that manage to accumulate down under. After driving through that torrential rain last week my bilge is clean and fresh as a daisy. Western Chemical sells the stuff and I think it is great. Beats the heck out of bleach. %% degree celcius water dose work also but as I recall that is a 10-30 minute exposure so you need to keep it warm. All the other official disinfectants are nasty. They were published by the Wisconsin Aquaculture Assn.

Larry Strelow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)