Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Speed, GPS or sonar unit?

Message Subject: Speed, GPS or sonar unit?
Phishy
Posted 1/3/2009 10:26 PM (#76271)
Subject: Speed, GPS or sonar unit?

Which do you trust, your GPS or sonar/fish locator to determine your speed of travel? 

If my memory serves me well, my locator reads 1.2-1.5 mph at the lowest rpm and the gps tells me i'm going 2.5-3.0 mph.  that's a huge difference my friends. so when ypou say 0.9mph-2.5mph what unit you looking at?  

by the way, my discrepency is not a curent issue, i've been fishing on a small inland lakes, flat water, the results are typical each fishing trip i take,

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Big O
Posted 1/4/2009 2:10 AM (#76273 - in reply to #76271)
Subject: Re: Speed, GPS or sonar unit?

GPS will always be the most accurate form of measuring speed, your speed paddle wheel on your sonar will be affected by current, weeds, rust on the spindel wheel, mounting methed(angle,height,transon angle, ect.) GPS is just a satelite signal, takes just about all the varables out of play.
Shep
Posted 1/5/2009 3:51 PM (#76312 - in reply to #76273)

The paddle wheel is not very accurate over the range of speed. You can get it close on the low end. There is an offset you need to adjust in the sonar settings. Set it at zero while not moving, but make sure you are not in a current of any kind.

I use my GPS for real time speed when moving at speed or trolling on a lake. I will use both GPS and paddle wheel when I am trolling in a river. I do this to determine the current speed, and this tells me how much to speed up with the current, and how much to slow when going into the currrent. It works for me, so I always add the paddle wheel.

Also, I stop the paddlewheel from spinning when traveling on the trailor by using a rubberband. Lasts laonger this way.
Phishy
Posted 1/5/2009 4:10 PM (#76314 - in reply to #76312)

Shep - 1/5/2009 3:51 PM ....I stop the paddlewheel from spinning when traveling on the trailor by using a rubberband. Lasts laonger this way.

Now that's spmething i never thought about

GPS speed it will be!!

thanx!

eye Lunker
Posted 1/12/2009 3:15 PM (#76505 - in reply to #76271)
Subject: RE: Speed, GPS or sonar unit?

Shep where do you get your rubber bands at? rumor is that you get special ones?
Shep
Posted 1/13/2009 10:42 AM (#76574 - in reply to #76505)
Subject: RE: Speed, GPS or sonar unit?

from my junk drawer at home! Everybody has one of those in the kitchen, don't they? hehehe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)