Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> rod storage

Message Subject: rod storage
stick bait
Posted 5/11/2009 7:36 AM (#81252)
Subject: rod storage

Hi guys,

Want to store some of my sticks in my garage instead of bringing them into my house. What kind of system do you use to store your rods? I was thinking of putting them on a wall? Is this a good idea? Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sunshine
Posted 5/11/2009 7:46 AM (#81253 - in reply to #81252)
Subject: RE: rod storage

I like storing them horizontally on the ceiling and/or rafters of the garage. They are handy when sitting in the boat and out of harms way. I could take a pict. of you like but basically I cut 4x8 sheets of plywood 6" wide and then I drilled holes about 6" apart from each other down the hole length of the board. I put the butt end of the rods in this hole. I just bought hooks that I screwed in about 4'5' away from the board. I put the front section of rod into the hook.

I     O     O     O     O      O     O     O     O   I

tyee
Posted 5/11/2009 8:00 AM (#81256 - in reply to #81252)

Hey Stickbait, I have tried them all over the years even spent the big bucks buying the racks made for this, hanging them on the wall only to wreck eyes and having to relocate them all the time for rakes and shovels NONE OF THEM work for my lifestyle, constantly cleaning and moving and adding stuff to the garage. I found the best solution that works for me and all my neighbors have done it now.....

Get a 8' long 4" dia. PVC plumbing pipe. Cut it into 2-3" lengths. Drill a clearance hole for a screwdriver bit to fit through in the center of the sidewall and 180 degree opposite drill a hole for a drywall screw. Crawl in your boat while it is in the garage and start screwing these to the ceiling 2-rows about 4' apart keep them side by side, I found 4" dia best to keep reels from banging together.....1 length of pipe can do 15 to 20 rods. When packing to go you have access to the type of rods you will be using for the day right above your head!

If you don't have a ceiling screw them to a couple of 2x4's. Your rods will last a lot longer hanging from the ceiling out of the way. I have used the same method for both veritical and horizontal storage for misc. lengths of pipe, garden stakes, shepards hooks and anything else the wife doesn't want to keep in HER garage.
Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 5/11/2009 8:03 AM
Hogslammer
Posted 5/12/2009 8:50 PM (#81335 - in reply to #81252)

Personally, the stuff in my garage gets awlful dusty and dirty I would't feel comfortable having my fishing equipment there. Plus you never know who might sneak in and take something if you were out mowing in the back yard. Here is a pic of my winter project.
iceman35
Posted 5/13/2009 5:38 AM (#81344 - in reply to #81252)
Subject: Re: rod storage

great question... If you got a clean safe garage go for it... Rod racks are available from all the big places... including a few new ones on wheels... with these you could bring stuff in for the winter... Check out lowes/home depot for garage storage Ideas... you could put together some stuff on the wall for tackle too... throw in a work bench and your garage is good to go...
The last few bassmaster mags have had home projects revolving around garage fishing work spaces...
iceman35
Posted 5/13/2009 5:43 AM (#81345 - in reply to #81252)

with the work bench idea, you could actually keep stuff under the bench too... small fridge for beer, wall mounted TV... A few barstools, liquor cabinet... jeez, you'd have yourself a babe winkleman mancave!
Posted 6/9/2009 8:07 PM (#82214 - in reply to #81252)

All great ideas thnks guys!
Brother Otis
Posted 6/9/2009 9:30 PM (#82216 - in reply to #81252)

I ran a 3 old 1" wide straps from some smaller ratchet straps and screwed them to the rafters at 0', 4' and 6' feet apart. My trolling rods hang with the handle end in one strap and the tip end a couple feet past the 6' strap. All of my spinning/casting rods are hung in a similar fashion on the 4' strap. It is a very non-sexy way of storing them but it does the job. I can hold about 15 rods with my setup.

Edited by Brother Otis 6/9/2009 9:30 PM
hgmeyer
Posted 6/12/2009 10:31 PM (#82339 - in reply to #81252)

Much like Dennis and the others, I utilize the ceiling in my garage. I have an insulated garage (and heated) so I have a suspended ceiling at 10 feet with 6" of insulation above that. So, I created a system of 10' long 1X6 with 3" holes every 6 inches on center for casting rods (bait caster and spinning rigs) and 4" hole 8 inches on center for line counters. These are hung from three screw eyes wired to the ceiling grid with thos plant hanger hooks with trolling rods facing toward the stern and casting rods pointing toward the bow. The tip ends of the trolling rods(at about 5 1/2 feet) are supported by 1/2 conduit suspended from three more hangers. The casting rods are supported at the tips and by another 1X6 with the three inch holes for shorter rods and that set of rods is also pointed toward the bow and is above the opened garage door supported ta the tip ends by another piece of conduit. With the boat on the trailer and inside the garage I can instantly sort and return rods to and from the baot. Despite an ionitial concern about dust I was surprised to find that with the rods so close to the ceiling there was very little dust ever... The three rows of rods hold over fifty rods. With the storage in the boat I can accomodate well over sixty rods conveniently and safely.

As an additional feature most of my tackle storage in Plano 3700 and 3600 boxes are stored on shelves at the height convenient to the inside of the boat while it is on the trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)