Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Repair Question

Message Subject: Repair Question
Leakage
Posted 2/17/2010 9:59 AM (#88361)
Subject: Repair Question

My 1760 takes on a ton of water in less than a full day's fishing. I believe this is under warranty, but before I spend $150 in gas to drag the boat up to Tuffy I wanted to see if there is really anything that can be done to fix this?

Leaky Pants
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Horshak
Posted 2/17/2010 11:25 AM (#88366 - in reply to #88361)
Subject: Re: Repair Question

Do you know where it's coming from? Check under the floorboard and see if any of the hoses or fittings are loose for the livewell or bilge pump. If there was any water left in the hoses during winter storage, they may have cracked. Check them over real close. Check the cartridge housing for the pumps as well to make sure they are not cracked.
Sticker Scratcher
Posted 2/17/2010 11:26 AM (#88368 - in reply to #88361)
Subject: RE: Repair Question

Take it to Tuffy, have it fixed correctly, and have the damn stickers replaced!!!!
KHedquist
Posted 2/17/2010 3:58 PM (#88370 - in reply to #88368)

Yep like Horshak said poke your head under the floor and look around, if you can get it in the water look in the rear hatches to see if you can see were the water might be coming from, or fill the livewell up in your drive way maybe a cracked fitting causing it to leak in the boat, or fill the inside of the of the boat up and see if you can spot were the water is leaking out.

Maybe something simple, something might have frze and cracked like a bilge pump housing, I doubt if they would cover that under a warrenty.

Let us know what you find
brettking
Posted 2/17/2010 7:49 PM (#88376 - in reply to #88370)

A very logical place for water to get in also is any screws to hold transducers and such to the boat if long ones were used.I would be surprised if the issue is with the hull itself more then likely a fairly simple fix.What is your location if you are close to me I can check some things for you as I rig boats.I agree also with what Kirt said reverse the process and fill things from the inside out starting with the livewell.Look for water going to the bottom of the boat if nothing drain it and observe again for water if nothing still fill the bottom of the boat with a hose and see if it comes out anywhere.It is amazing how much water can come from the smallest of leaks.Any chance it is coming in from the motor mount holes or the catch covers in the splashwell?
stacker
Posted 2/18/2010 9:33 AM (#88383 - in reply to #88376)

What year boat is it? Have you contacted your dealer regarding this if it under warranty? Tuffy is not a service center for boat repairs. That is why they have us dealers out here to take care of these things.

Let me know if I can help

Denny

Fort Fremont Marine

920-446-3220
Almost-B-Good
Posted 2/18/2010 3:43 PM (#88393 - in reply to #88361)

I'd think the most likely problem spot is the livewell plumbing. The inlet is under water and the pressure can fill up a boat in no time at all with just a small split in a hose or a loose clamp. If the drain is also under water, there is another problem spot. On my old Alumacraft I had a spare drain plug and plugged up the outlet hole to stop a leak in the hose somewhere that I couldn't get to. If I had to use the livewell, I just had to remember to pump the bilge a bunch of times a day. If it's under warrantee get it fixed! If not, get it fixed anyway! If you're out in some nasty stuff and take a few big ones over the side because you are too low in the water, that's not the time to say I should'da done it!
iceman35
Posted 2/19/2010 7:13 PM (#88416 - in reply to #88361)

my 1760 in its first year didn't leak a drop... still don't know if the bilge pump works cause never had enough water in it... only time the boat it had some water in it was when the plug had some debris on it and wasn't in all the way... I think you can save some fishing time and days with out your boat by trouble shooting tyhis yourself... open up the floor hatch, back hatch. put the boat in the water and take a look see... good chance you something loose or not tightened all the way... if nothing leaking at first, turn the livewell on and see...
lambeau
Posted 2/19/2010 9:56 PM (#88419 - in reply to #88361)

before I spend $150 in gas to drag the boat up to Tuffy

dude, don't exaggerate. it probably only costs $50 in gas to get to Lake Mills and back from the Arlington Heights area...and get the damn stickers replaced!
theviver
Posted 2/20/2010 8:32 PM (#88432 - in reply to #88419)

If the pumps and hoses check out Ok it is probably a caulking issue with either the drain plug hole, ez pump or the out flow of the live well. If you fill the boat with water and you cannot see any evidence of water then it is probably the out flow of the live well.

Good luck!

Roy Vivian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)