Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Do you prefer fishing tournements that are a ?

Message Subject: Do you prefer fishing tournements that are a ?
KHedquist
Posted 6/8/2007 5:25 AM (#56980)
Subject: Do you prefer fishing tournements that are a ?

I am thinking next year I might get my feet wet(No my boat doesnt leak) as a boater in a few tournements, do you guys that fish them prefer a draw/blind date tournement like the FLW or desiganted partner type tournement? Mn has a couple of smaller tournement ckts that are designated partner.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Taildancer
Posted 6/8/2007 6:25 AM (#56981 - in reply to #56980)
Subject: Re: Do you prefer fishing tournements that are a ?

I perfer partner tournments. When you have a good partner that you fish with all the time it is like a well oiled machine in the boat. For me it is the must fun way to fish a tournment. In fact we would fish the FLW league if it was a partner event.
GNWC Rookie
Posted 6/8/2007 7:14 AM (#56982 - in reply to #56981)

Moreyes,

I would suggest doing a partner circuit for your first year and maybe one or two league events. The benefit of doing the partner events first, is you'll really get a feel for what it costs, what you need to do to be successful and what kind of methods work on the water you'll be fishing.

Jumping to the league right away can be a lot. You won't really have anybody to help come up with ideas, tactics, spots, money etc... It's also really nice to have someone that you can count on as a partner every time.

I personally like the FLW League format, but I only went to that after fishing team events. It really does take at least a year or more before you really understand what it takes to be "successful". You might as well have company on the way.

Marshall
FLW League
Posted 6/8/2007 7:20 AM (#56983 - in reply to #56980)
Subject: RE: Do you prefer fishing tournements that are a ?

Hello: After this past FLW tourney I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I really do like fishing the FLW League and have had good co-anglers in the past. The last tourney on the Winnebago system I drew a co-angler that was throwing up for a good part of the morning(not sure why, there was only 2 to 3 footers). This resulted in me not being able to fish the area that I was catching fish. May be I could have fished it but with respect to the co-angler I decided to fish a less rough area.

I do think with the right partner, team fishing is fun and helps share with the expenses. Good luck on what you decide to fish and make sure to have fun...
thumper
Posted 6/8/2007 8:39 AM (#56986 - in reply to #56980)

A lot depends on your long term goals. If you really want to learn and get tournament experience, find out what it is like to make some tough decisions and have to live with them, the League format will give you that in a quick hurry. If you have a great partner that you can fish with day in and day out, then you may want to do the partners tournaments. I think from your previous posts you are fishing some events on the co side this year, so you are getting to see some of what goes on in the League. You can still partner up with guys in the League to share expenses. It's up to you to decide. Personally, I'm with Marshall- I much prefer the League format. Gotta go get some Dramamine though I see....

Dave S
Mr. Darboy
Posted 6/8/2007 9:24 AM (#56987 - in reply to #56980)

I have fished all tournaments as a co-angler in the past, but after my last couple times out I definitely think I am going to quit doing these tournaments. I guess it all depends if you are fishing familiar waters or trying to learn new lakes and fishing techniques. For that, the co events are the way to go. But as a local guy just wanting to get some tournament exposure, it has been tough for me to sit in a boat and not say much as far as where to go and what to use when I draw a boater who is not from the area. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I had drawn a local "pro", but I still think it is difficult to be a co-angler on your local waters.

I do realize that is one of the benefits of being a "local" and if I had the boat to fish tournaments I would be doing so, but at this time I don't so I'm stuck in this line of tournament fishing. I would like to find a partner to fish with who has the boat as it would be more fun to me to fish the partner tournaments instead.

Like I said, if you are fishing local waters, then I think you should fish with a partner or as a boater in those events. If you want to learn techniques and different lakes, then the co-angler side is for you. Make no mistake, fishing as a co-angler in the FLW Tour or PWT is priceless when it comes to that.
KHedquist
Posted 6/8/2007 2:21 PM (#57011 - in reply to #56987)

Thanks for the ideas
Youngster
Posted 6/8/2007 4:44 PM (#57012 - in reply to #57011)

On thing about the Angler, Co-Angler format - you are not at the liberty of your partners life coming in the way of your tournament fishing.

A good partner is hard to beat. Without one, the Angler, Co-Angler format is pretty attractive.

If your the one with the unpredictable schedule - Angler, Co-Angler format would allow you to not mess up someone elses schedule too. Let's say you worked in HVAC, and had to be there when the summer gets hot...
Sensitive to others
Posted 6/8/2007 10:41 PM (#57021 - in reply to #56980)

I don't usually post anonymously... But, this time I am so that no one will have hurt feeligs by assuming I am referring to them.

I fish some of the FLW League events as a Co_angler. And I have almost always drawn "great people" as boaters, unfortunately a few of whom have been lousey fishermen. So, with that said, I will comment that on the whole the League offers a great learning experience for both participants with the warning that at any given time one or the other maybe on a much lower rung on the learning curve ladder than you. That is the nature of a "Junior Circuit", it is a learning experience as much as it is a tournament. If you feel that ready for the challenge and have the confidence, simply step up to the "Tour". If you are not ready to compete at that level for whatever reason, do not expect League participants to always be as experienced or proficient as you are (regardless of your role). One positive aspect of the League I have found, regardless of the expertise of my various boaters, I have almost always learned something useful, a "trick", method or equipment and tackle experience that was useful to me later. By being paired with so many "strangers", I have been exposed to a wide breadth of knowledge and experience that I would not have if I were fishing with the same partner every time.
Sunshine
Posted 6/9/2007 5:34 AM (#57025 - in reply to #57021)

An anonymous poster with a great message.

Nicely done
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)