Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics

Message Subject: Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics
WalleyeGuy
Posted 2/28/2008 2:00 PM (#66589)
Subject: Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics

Anyone care to speculate or share information regarding the inability of Lowrance gps units to display the new Navionics Premium 3D maps?

Is Lowrance working toward a software fix for existing high end GPS units?

What is the future of flat 2D Lake Map GPS topos?

Curious,

Steve
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jerry
Posted 2/28/2008 5:02 PM (#66597 - in reply to #66589)
Subject: RE: Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics

To my knowledge, Lowrance does not work to make someone elses product work in their unit. With all the work Lowrance did for Navionics in the past, Navionics is the one that needs to make sure their chip works in a Lowrance unit.
WalleyeGuy
Posted 2/28/2008 5:42 PM (#66598 - in reply to #66597)

Let me rephrase the question then.

Does anyone think Navionics will be formating/ or can reformat their 3D chips so they can be displayed on Lowrance unit? If it was only up to Navionics I am surprised they haven't done so yet. Seems like a big part of the market they are missing out on.

Steve
Rippin_eyes
Posted 2/28/2008 5:56 PM (#66599 - in reply to #66589)
Subject: Re: Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics

its coming... check out the press release..... http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/PressReleases/Low...
WalleyeGuy
Posted 2/28/2008 8:26 PM (#66602 - in reply to #66599)
Subject: Re: Speculation on Lowrance and Navionics

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Can't wait.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted 2/29/2008 5:22 AM (#66605 - in reply to #66589)

The letter was written in July 2007 and it state thet the upgrade suppose to be ready in January 2008 but we are in March and nothing yet.
empty net
Posted 2/29/2008 7:42 AM (#66606 - in reply to #66597)

lowrance is the one that needs to update software. they have been working on this for a while. as a dealer, we were told a year ago they would have the program available, but typical, they have fallen behind. should be available soon though.
ZX1950
Posted 2/29/2008 9:08 AM (#66611 - in reply to #66589)

Sounds interesting, but has anybody seen the Platinum Maps for Winnebago? I'd hate to spend $200 on a piece of junk. I've seen the 2D Navionics and it was not even close to the Lakemaster Chip.
WalleyeGuy
Posted 2/29/2008 9:17 AM (#66612 - in reply to #66589)

As someone who follows software development from Microsoft to Apple to Aspyr to Adobe, I have yet to see a targeted ship date actually match the release date. A lag of several months off projection is typical and Lowrance isn't alone in that.

What would be really interesting is if the decided to go "open source" with their software. Then we might see some amazing things happen (my opinion).

Like: Connect your digital camera or cell phone to your unit and share info over cell to other cells, or upload your fish photos/video (video might be a stretch atm) to the unit and view them on the large screen.

And, Lowrance has now introduced sonar sharing over the network, why not map sharing? (Hmm, agreement with Navionics perhaps).

Or, and this one should be a no brainer, integrate the GPS with the auto-pilot on your trolling motor. Then log a trail with a series of waypoints and tell the trolling motor to follow it. Hands free to fish!

Open source would allow for these developments. We are on the threshold of seeing open source programming revolutionize the cell phone.

I could go on and on but you get the picture. The newer high end units are very sophisticated pieces of electronics/computer that do one thing well but really are capable of much more.

Steve
Chris G
Posted 3/1/2008 6:17 AM (#66640 - in reply to #66612)

Is this what you are talking about Steve. It came from the Lowrance website under downloads.

CyberCom & LSI 100
Attention software developers! With CyberCom you can develop Windows applications that interface Lowrance products with a PC. LSI 100, Lowrance Serial Interface Protocol, documentation is also available.

Chris
WalleyeGuy
Posted 3/2/2008 12:05 PM (#66670 - in reply to #66640)

In a limited sense yes. I am thinking more in terms of small apps that run on the Lowrance unit itself. Like an address book, picture viewer or fishing journal. The ability to plug a small keyboard in, or network an external hard drive for addditional data storage would be great too.

I just don't see having to carry a PC in your boat as a really good thing.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)