Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> New Quantum Walleye Reel...

Message Subject: New Quantum Walleye Reel...
hgmeyer
Posted 2/21/2009 7:12 PM (#77875)
Subject: New Quantum Walleye Reel...

Anybody seen these at the shows or know anything about them.... "Trolling" thumbar?

http://www.quantumfishing.com/prod_pages/WalleyeGrade.htm
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KHedquist
Posted 2/21/2009 9:40 PM (#77880 - in reply to #77875)
Subject: RE: New Quantum Walleye Reel...

Interesting, might have to check them out
Chamookman
Posted 2/22/2009 2:52 AM (#77886 - in reply to #77880)

They are "re-named" lowprofile baitcasters with a "flipping switch". Bass Guys don't use the switch much any more, so they are trying to apeal to the Walleye crowd. C-man
BrokenWing
Posted 2/23/2009 5:48 PM (#77962 - in reply to #77875)
Subject: Re: New Quantum Walleye Reel...

Trolling bar seems out of place. I would rather have a baitcasting reel be the best casting reel since I have trolling reels.

Rich
Shep
Posted 2/24/2009 7:46 AM (#77980 - in reply to #77962)

Flippin' switch reels make great fly pullin' reels. A righty and a lefty, and you got the versatility you need to give and take line without the rods leave your hands.
KHedquist
Posted 2/24/2009 4:46 PM (#78010 - in reply to #77980)

Holy smokes right and left, 2 rods at one time, how do you guys do that?
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 3/3/2009 1:21 PM (#78274 - in reply to #78010)

Has anyone used the Daiwa's with the twitchin' bar for pulling flys, bouncers and jigging in rivers? With that feature it seems as though you could really do it all with your thumb...righty and a lefty would be the way to go as Shep has mentioned.
mjv
Posted 3/4/2009 12:06 AM (#78308 - in reply to #77875)

Dumb question. How do you take line in on a reel that has the flipping switch when moving into shallow water? I get the idea about releasing line when getting deeper. Do you spin the handle against something? Seems like the diawa with the twiching bar would make easier line adjustments when going shallower by not having to actually turning the handle. Thanks
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 3/4/2009 5:02 AM (#78309 - in reply to #78308)

mjv - 3/4/2009 1:06 AM

Dumb question. How do you take line in on a reel that has the flipping switch when moving into shallow water? I get the idea about releasing line when getting deeper. Do you spin the handle against something? Seems like the diawa with the twiching bar would make easier line adjustments when going shallower by not having to actually turning the handle. Thanks

Yes you have to turn the reel handle with your other hand, rest one on your hip etc. I picked up a daiwa with the twitchin bar at BassPro for $49 after sale and reel trade in...to play/experiment with...twitchin bar will probably not take up line very well if the bouncer or 3-way rig is heavier than 2 oz.'s ish. We'll see.
mjv
Posted 3/4/2009 8:07 AM (#78317 - in reply to #77875)

Thanks Wisconsin Wade. If you get out, let us know how that twitching bar works. I get what your saying about not being able to take up heavy weights. I was thinking if I let the weight stay on the bottom and move the rod tip towards the weight , instead of pulling the weight up to take up line, might help. I mostly pull 2-4 oz weights on the rivers and lindy's on lakes once in awhile. I'm just trying to figure out which reels to buy. Thanks again

Mike
Shep
Posted 3/6/2009 10:30 AM (#78486 - in reply to #78308)

mjv - 3/4/2009 12:06 AM

That's why I use a righty and a lefty reel. When I need to take up some line, I reel against my thigh. Works great for me.
Mike V
Posted 3/6/2009 8:10 PM (#78535 - in reply to #77875)

Thanks guys. I suppose the flipping switch has better control of the line being let out. I just like the idea of bringing up line with my thumb. If I can get some accurist cheap, I'll pick some up. If not, I'll probably give the diawa with the twitching bar a try.
Dan Palmer
Posted 3/6/2009 9:22 PM (#78538 - in reply to #77875)

I have been using the Diawa Viento (w/Twitchin Bar) reels for 3 years now and they are awesome for pulling and can be used for ertical jiggin as well. You can get some thumb fatigue as a hard twitch on the bar will reel in about 8 inches of line. Two handed fishing is very easy with these reels. Dan Palmer
steve
Posted 3/26/2009 9:02 PM (#79478 - in reply to #77875)

Quantum had the accurist and it has the flipping switch and was low profile so I don't see that they come out with anything new
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)