Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Yamaha 115 4 stk. Giving me a HEADACHE

Message Subject: Yamaha 115 4 stk. Giving me a HEADACHE
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/14/2009 3:07 PM (#82364)
Subject: Yamaha 115 4 stk. Giving me a HEADACHE

I have a 2004 Yamaha 115 4 stk fuel injected on a 2005 Lund Mr Pike. My problem is as of this fishing season, under no control, my 115 will die when I lay down from plane. Whether its my fishing spot, the landing dock or what have you. It doesnt happen all of the time, but some. And you absolutley never know when it will happen again. Once it does this it most of the time will not restart, and if it does, it takes quite some time. I had it to a dealer, and they claim they went through 80-85% of the electrical on the motor and everything checked out on the computer and what have you, but it would not start. But by taking things apart and putting it back together, he was able to take my boat to the lake and run it for a while with no trouble. I took it on a fishing trip for 3 days of fishing, and fish a weekly league which I have fished 3 nights with no trouble. Then last night it did what it was doing before I took it to the dealer...Anyone else have any troubles like this or are there any service guys that might have an answer for me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KHedquist
Posted 6/15/2009 9:39 AM (#82393 - in reply to #82364)
Subject: Re: Yamaha 115 4 stk. Giving me a HEADACHE

I am sure this has been asked are you running ring free in the gas?

Those injectors are small, the dealer told me to always use it, what about water in the gas? Could be sloshing around the tank and you are sometimes picking it up?
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/15/2009 4:31 PM (#82423 - in reply to #82364)

Yes I do run ring free, and have been very very serious about making sure I get it in there...Should a guy run a tank full of gas with Sea-Foam or comparible liquid through once?
KHedquist
Posted 6/15/2009 8:50 PM (#82430 - in reply to #82364)
Subject: RE: Yamaha 115 4 stk. Giving me a HEADACHE

That is a head scratcher, mine worked flawlessly when I had mine so I could not give you direction to look other that above

Let me ask you this, is the fuel tank full or emptywhen this happens?

Edited by moreyes 6/15/2009 8:56 PM
KHedquist
Posted 6/16/2009 5:17 AM (#82436 - in reply to #82430)

The reason I ask, maybe fuel is sloshing around in the tank, and when the fuel level is low maybe, you run the pick up dry, I had a snowmobile that the fuel pick up fell off, and I could only get half the tank to use and when I accelerated I would run out of gas, and then I had a four wheeler that a relative submerged in the river, they thought they drained the gas tank but they left about 1/3 of it water and when it got down that low it would suck water.

Maybe you could run a seperate 6g fuel tank and see if the problem persists
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/16/2009 7:37 AM (#82441 - in reply to #82364)

Well, most of the time I keep my tank is over 1/2 full, that is something I can pay attention to now in the future. I dont think now that you say that, but I will pay more attention, that it has ever done it when the tank is plumb full. Last evening I was out and had no trouble. (KNOCK ON WOOD) Anyways, thanks for the advice, its definetly something thats gonna get looked at if it keeps up.
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/19/2009 6:49 AM (#82544 - in reply to #82364)

Has anyone else had this fuel pickup problem...My next statement just so you know though is, my kicker has always ran awesome, and has been one hell of a rescue motor. The two motors must have two different pickups than huh? Any help?
Shep
Posted 6/19/2009 7:56 AM (#82546 - in reply to #82544)

They may or maynot have two different pick-ups. If they have seaparate lines from the tank, yes. But if the kicker line in T'd off the main line, or comes off from a water separator, then same pickup.

I don't think it is a pick-up issue. Sounds like an electrical issue to me, like maybe a loose connection, or perhaps a wire that is shorting, and only when you are coming off plane. I'd do a thorough search of the wiring harness under the cowl. Pehaps a loos fitting fuse? I had one last year that would turn off the sonar, but only if I hit a wave at a certain angle. Replaced the holder to the auto spade style, and problem fixed.

Is there a water separator under the cowl of these motors? Pehaps it's full of water and needs to be drained/replaced? I know the Opti's and Verado's have them, but not sure if the Yamaha's use them or not. I don't know if the Merc/Yammy 115 4s motors had them either.

I guess my next question for the dealer would be "Why didn't you check the other 15-20% of the electrical. Again, sounds like a bad connection to me. The fact that it wouldn't start, and then did when they took it apart? They had the perfect opportunity to find it when it wouldn't run for them. I think they should have found it then.

It sucks when stuff like this happens, whether a boat, auto, atv, or the lawn mower. Are there other dealers in the area that mey be better at troubleshooting this for you? WHere are you located? Maybe the guys here can offer some recommendations.

Edited by Shep 6/19/2009 8:02 AM
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/21/2009 11:03 AM (#82597 - in reply to #82364)

Im from western MN, I guess I think the mechanic thought by taking things apart and then putting it back together and it worked he thought he fixed a loose connection of some sort. The only thing that makes me think it could be fuel is maybe the sloshing, or whatever, and once the motor looses fuel it takes a while for it to prime back up and be able to fire. I am definetly no serious mechanic, and I would have no idea where to start if it was electrical. I can service and winterize my boat, but that is about the extent of my mechanical experience. Anyways, I was out again Tuesday, and Friday, and had no trouble. I laid down slow, and she never missed a beat. And yes, there is a fuel/water seperator under the cowling. Actually the first time the motor did it this year was the day before a 2 day tourney that I fish, and I replaced spark plugs, and dumped that seperator, which, I didnt need to do that, because there was no water, and I cleaned that filter that goes in there, and then it started and ran perfect all weekend. Its crazy!!!
KHedquist
Posted 6/21/2009 11:20 AM (#82598 - in reply to #82597)

Nothing worse than an intermitent problem, just break darn it

Do you have a tether switch?

Edited by moreyes 6/21/2009 11:22 AM
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/22/2009 12:32 PM (#82624 - in reply to #82364)

Yes
KHedquist
Posted 6/22/2009 2:11 PM (#82630 - in reply to #82624)

Hmm next time wigle the tether switch plug, is it like the Merc with a rocker switch or do you push a rubber cap over the switch.

I had one on my snowmobile that was flaky, it was the plug style and the plunger was not pushing the switch in all the way
Shep
Posted 6/23/2009 9:06 AM (#82647 - in reply to #82630)

"once the motor looses fuel it takes a while for it to prime back up and be able to fire."

I'd take a look at the primer bulb. Maybe it's check valve is bad? Cheap enough to replace.
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/23/2009 4:07 PM (#82656 - in reply to #82364)

The bulb always stays hard through all of this. I was speculating what may be the cause. I kind of was getting at the fact that maybe the fuel pickup sucks air from fuel sloshing around in the tank, and then the reason it runs on high idle but not at regular idle is there is enough pressure to suck gas around when the motor is revved. I have no clue!
Mark K
Posted 6/23/2009 11:57 PM (#82657 - in reply to #82364)

It's almost certainly not electrical, have him check your fuel pump pressures (that would be my guess I had simlar problems with a different motor), the items mentioned above are good suggestions as well, also pull the fuel pickup from the tank and make sure it is the correct one that is suppose to be in there (length primarily). Good luck, oh you may want to try a different dealer where are you located?
WalleyeHunter
Posted 6/24/2009 12:19 PM (#82668 - in reply to #82364)

Was out again last night for league and had no troubles. I was running a full tank of gas again, and laid down nice and easy. My Yami never missed a beat!
jrholz
Posted 10/12/2009 10:55 AM (#85998 - in reply to #82364)

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/yamaha-f115-cutting-out-t...

Here is a post i put up on another site. Similar problem i had my motor into the dealer twice and it would not act up. Finally on the third time they got it to reproduce the problem. ( This was just three weeks ago) During this time he was able to put the computer on it. Dealer said he's 99% sure its the Engine Control Unit. Its showing up as the kill circuit is activated. I disconnected the tether switch long ago so that's ruled out. It has to be in the ECU. I have not replaced this unit yet. The dealer cost is $1010.00 I'm going to have to wait tell spring to replace it.
I am currently looking for a used ECU. If i can't find one by spring I will buy a new one but that sure hurts the pocket book.

Hope this helps
Jeff

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)