Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Trolling batteries

Message Subject: Trolling batteries
eye Lunker
Posted 2/27/2006 2:17 PM (#39993)
Subject: Trolling batteries

Just looking for alittle feedback on what brands are out their and what brands some of you guys have used and like. Anyone with a opinion to share? Thanks

Edited by eye Lunker 2/27/2006 2:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hooky
Posted 2/27/2006 3:14 PM (#39996 - in reply to #39993)
Subject: RE: Trolling batteries

I like Trojan or Northern batteries.
Sunshine
Posted 2/27/2006 3:17 PM (#39997 - in reply to #39993)

Trojan here too!

The Minn Kota batteries are made by trojan now.

Rich S
Posted 2/27/2006 3:31 PM (#39998 - in reply to #39997)

Optima
russell gahagan
Posted 2/27/2006 4:15 PM (#40000 - in reply to #39993)

I had northern batteries in my ranger and they were good no problems at all.
wall-nut
Posted 2/27/2006 5:23 PM (#40011 - in reply to #39993)

Optima batteries are great in any weather but pricey. For a good all around on the cheaper side, Stow Away is good
Shep
Posted 2/27/2006 5:27 PM (#40012 - in reply to #40000)

For 15 years, I used Remy Deep Cycle batteries. I got these from Remy in Milwaukee. They always lasted 4 years on average, and they were relatively inexpensive. Last year, I needed two new batteries, and got two Trojan 31 series from my friend Justin at the Appleton Gander. Even though these were about $30 more each, I just couldn't see driving to Milwaukke to get the Remy's.

I guess my point is that for $55 each, those were pretty good batteries. Nothing fancy, or special. I took good care of them, and they lasted pretty good. I'm quite sure they are a better deal than the Optima's at nearly 3 X the money each. Time will tell if the Trojans I get for the new boat will be as good a value. See you in about 4 years with an update!

Edited by Shep 2/27/2006 5:28 PM
FISHTRAP
Posted 2/27/2006 9:41 PM (#40027 - in reply to #39993)

Northern batts. They work great on my lund and got our butts back to shore after catching those silver fish last year.When you getting your boat back todd
stacker
Posted 2/28/2006 8:28 AM (#40041 - in reply to #39993)

Interstate batteries have been very good to me as well. They keep them fresh on the dealers shelves so they are ready for you when you need the power. I have Been happy.
eye Lunker
Posted 3/1/2006 7:57 AM (#40099 - in reply to #39993)

Good feedback guys. Todd your the king of king salmon fishing and thanks for getting me out last fall.So gell cell are the way to go?

Edited by eye Lunker 3/2/2006 3:42 PM
Tommy Kemos
Posted 3/1/2006 6:47 PM (#40161 - in reply to #39993)

Optima Batteries have a lot of advantages over regular lead acid batteries. The spiral cell technology delivers a virtual indestructable battery. The lead is compressed into a fiberglass mat in a spiral configuration. This delivers a much more vibration resistant package than flat plate AGM Batteries. Because of the support that the spiral cell offers, less lead needs to be used, so the batteries are lighter. A higher quality lead is used also. Because of this there is little internal resistance. What this means to you and I is reduced charge times, less heat during recharges and longer battery life. The impurities in the lead in most batteries is what ultimately leads to their demise. These are true high-performance batteries. I always tell people to figure out what you have tied up in your whole rig and then think about how important your batteries are. It quickly becomes easier to justify the added expense.
Denver
Posted 3/1/2006 8:10 PM (#40165 - in reply to #39993)

I have northern batteries myself, I havean't had any problems with them. It might just be me but I would deffiniatly recommend them.
new ones
Posted 3/2/2006 8:25 AM (#40175 - in reply to #39993)

Where can I find these Northern batteries? Seems like they are a popular one.
team crestliner
Posted 3/2/2006 1:42 PM (#40189 - in reply to #39993)

I purchased my Northern Batteries at Daves Sport and Marine they are great batteries
wall-nut
Posted 3/2/2006 2:56 PM (#40196 - in reply to #39993)

but.....you can't beat the Optima Batteries
FISHTRAP
Posted 3/3/2006 6:41 PM (#40260 - in reply to #39993)

When I talked to dist. he pointed out that optimas carried less of a reserve charge.He said they where good batts.I dont know if this is true about res. charge.
Shep
Posted 3/6/2006 9:54 AM (#40372 - in reply to #40260)

It's true that Optimas are newer technology, and they do have some advantages over traditional lead acid batteries. I think the biggest advantage is weight. They weigh a lot less. Are the be all, end all? I'm not convinced. I do believe the reserve on the Trojan's, and even my $55 Remy, was better than the Optma's. How much better, I don't know off hand. The Optima's are supposed to take less time to fully charge. They are totally maintenance free.

Are they the best value out there? When the price comes down, then maybe. Show me an Optima that is going to last 3, or even two times longer, and I'd take another look.

Rod Holder
Posted 3/6/2006 11:00 AM (#40378 - in reply to #39993)

I posted about this subject not all that long ago in response to a query from Capt. Dan about Optima batteries. A 31 series Optima battery has less reserve than your average 31 series wet cell battery made by either Johson Controls, Exide, or Trojan. There are lots of features of Optimas which are great, such as being sealed and resistant to vibration. But reserve capacity when you need it becomes an overriding factor. I have two Optima 31 series batteries. I will be replacing these with Trojans. Having less reserve capacity it would be only natural to take less time to fully recharge.
Sunshine
Posted 3/7/2006 2:23 PM (#40475 - in reply to #39993)

This article from Bass and Walleye Magazine may shed some light on the subject.......

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=942715
Tommy Kemos
Posted 3/7/2006 5:28 PM (#40488 - in reply to #40475)

You are correct that Optima 31 series does not have the highest reserve capacity. However, most lead acid batteries begin to lose reserve capacity after as little as 10 cycles. Before you get half way through the season with a traditional lead acid battery, the reserve capacity has dropped below that of an Optima. Optima Batteries hold there stated reserve capacity a lot longer than lead acid batteries. That is where the claim that they last longer comes in. My boat from 2003 is still going strong with the original 4-31 series in it. The short recharge time is due to the low internal resistance in the battery. If you are looking for the cheapest battery you are looking in the wrong place. If you are looking for the best value, Optima is the real deal.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)