Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> battleonbago.com

Message Subject: battleonbago.com
tyee
Posted 1/21/2008 8:43 PM (#65231)
Subject: battleonbago.com

Here's a tourney that is geared towards the kids, March 1st in Oshkosh. I like the payout for a $30.00 entry. Place in first and win $2500, place 200 gets a $1000.00. A neat concept for a great cause.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

battleonbago.com

Good Luck
Tyee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viking
Posted 1/22/2008 7:20 AM (#65236 - in reply to #65231)
Subject: RE: battleonbago.com

Here's a live link:

http://www.battleonbago.com

Looks like fun. It's not clear, however, if there will be clearly defined boundaries or if the whole lake will be open. If it's the latter, I don't see how they'll prevent cheaters from doing what they do.

thumper
Posted 1/22/2008 7:45 AM (#65237 - in reply to #65231)
Subject: Re: battleonbago.com

My question exactly. One guy buys a ticket, fishes with 4 buddies who didn't, and brings in the 3 biggest fish. I realize it's not a cut-throat tournament, but if cheating is that easy people will be reluctant to enter figuring they have no chance if they play by the rules. The bigger payouts for lower places will help, and I'll certainly give it a whirl.

Also, what species will be allowed to weigh?
eye Lunker
Posted 1/22/2008 7:48 AM (#65238 - in reply to #65231)

Seems like a strange time to have a ice derby.March has some of the worse ice conditions on the bago system. To many memories during late feb sturgeon season with alots of standing water. Hope it works out for everyone participating in the good cause event!

Edited by eye Lunker 1/22/2008 8:00 AM
stacker
Posted 1/22/2008 10:30 AM (#65242 - in reply to #65238)

sounds like a good cause. A little more definition of where the monies go is always good as well. 1000 entries is a big undertaking. I dont know of any fisheree that draws them kind of numbers.
gusser
Posted 1/22/2008 11:28 AM (#65244 - in reply to #65231)

1000 entries in a fishing tournament on Winnebago? Wonder what the fallout will be on this one? I'm all for the end result too, but a lot of people don't care. They will be wondering why 1000 people are taking "their" fish, now, during the winter months. Just saying, be prepared for the noise this may make.
sworrall
Posted 1/22/2008 12:03 PM (#65245 - in reply to #65231)
Subject: Re: battleonbago.com

There a tournament on PELICAN, a lowly 3500 acre lake, larger than this one. It has been very successful, and there's little fallout from the locals.
tyee
Posted 1/22/2008 12:36 PM (#65247 - in reply to #65231)

Thanks Steve, I always wonder why people look at things in a negative rather than look at the good?

This event is heavily sponsored and being used to raise money for various functions like, as stated "Reel'in the Youth", "Kids Wish for Fish", and to help with various items through Walleyes for Tomorrow.

Here's a link to the oshkosh rotary club so you can see the types of functions they are involved with and where some of the procedes will go.

http://www.oshkoshrotarysouthwest.org/index.htm

I don't see a thousand people myself the first year but it could get there for sure. the payout of a grand for 200 and 300th place with a 30.00 entry is not much different than the many raffles used to raise money at various events around the state. Bring in a fish and you have a good chance at it! There will also be thousands of dollars in door prizes given out as I understand. So if you don't like tournaments and are concerned about the ethics of others maybe you should look at it as a Raffle instead and hope for the best! This is a great event going towards a great cause.

Good Luck
Tyee
stacker
Posted 1/22/2008 12:40 PM (#65248 - in reply to #65247)

I agree, its a bit to cold for the naysayers to come a runnin' with the old adage "...They are taking and killing all them fish". Have a great day!!
GlennC
Posted 1/23/2008 9:54 AM (#65268 - in reply to #65247)

Regarding the tournament, look back to ice conditions the last 9 years on Winnebago and March 1st has been cosistent with good ice and good fishing. Otter Street has had trouble having a tournament the first weekend in February the past 3 years so you can't control it. The prizes are spread out enough to mitigate cheating and if you do happen to catch the 3 biggest fish you'll be subjected to take a lie detector test and pass. How to you cheat to get 100th place and win $1,000?

We've had $11,000 donated for this tournament which is being run by Oshkosh Southwest Rotary to raise money for three great programs. There will be no fallout if we have 200 people or 1,000. Just fish and have a good time. Of course being the first year, we'll have some wrinkles to iron out but our intentions are good and we've donated a lot of time and effort to get this thing going. 100% of the money goes back to area non-profits.

Hope to see you there
Troy
Posted 1/23/2008 8:58 PM (#65303 - in reply to #65231)

Like Glenn said, there will be a guaranteed payout for $11,000.00 in cash prizes. To keep it honest a polygraph test may be required to anyone winning 1,000.00 or more. Its not like winning the lottery but it will buy a bunch of beer.

Troy
stacker
Posted 1/24/2008 12:31 PM (#65339 - in reply to #65303)

Troy, there is NOT a guarateed payout of 11,000.00. That is what was donated to this event. The payouts will be based on entries. Please make sure you know what you read as to not mislead anyone. Thanks

I think It will be a event that will build over the years.
Troy
Posted 1/24/2008 2:58 PM (#65354 - in reply to #65231)

No stacker, we are going to give out 11,000. That money has already been set aside. Tickets sold will constitute the money that gets allocated towards the organizations.

Troy
stacker
Posted 1/24/2008 4:21 PM (#65360 - in reply to #65354)

Is this Troy peterson? Are you affiliated with this bunch? Just checking that the info is correct. They are giving out all the cash prizes that they have listed no matter how many people buy a ticket? let say you get 300. thats 9,000.00 in revenue and 11,000.00 in payouts. Lets say you have 200. are they going to be drawing for the last spots of cash? just trying to get a understanding. seems that spending the donated monies on the payout, well, doesn't seem right.
GlennC
Posted 1/24/2008 4:51 PM (#65363 - in reply to #65360)

Stacker - We're planning on over 200 people fishing with over 100 signed up already. WFT Chapters in FDL, Oshkosh, Berlin are going to be selling tickets, along with more advertising should help push some numbers. We've spent our time volunteering to raise money for good causes which is more productive than sitting back and criticizing rules/terms of an event. If we give away more than we take in the first year - it will bring more people to the following year and continue thereafter. If we say $11,000 and give away $4,000 it will be just another bar tournament that 'was'.

tyee
Posted 1/24/2008 5:03 PM (#65365 - in reply to #65363)

Glen, count me in and I'll round up a few dozen customers to sign up as well! 200 shouldn't be that difficult! Maybe you can get a pdf up here that I can print out and help distribute?
Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 1/24/2008 5:05 PM
stacker
Posted 1/24/2008 5:22 PM (#65368 - in reply to #65363)

GlennC - 1/24/2008 4:51 PM

Stacker - We're planning on over 200 people fishing with over 100 signed up already. WFT Chapters in FDL, Oshkosh, Berlin are going to be selling tickets, along with more advertising should help push some numbers. We've spent our time volunteering to raise money for good causes which is more productive than sitting back and criticizing rules/terms of an event. If we give away more than we take in the first year - it will bring more people to the following year and continue thereafter. If we say $11,000 and give away $4,000 it will be just another bar tournament that 'was'.

GlennC, I do not sit back and criticize, on contrare. I work with many groups to fundraise, and I see things that need clarification. Lets say you have 10 teams bring in fish, always gotta prepare for the worst, or no ice at all. so a drawing is what happens. Let me ask you this.

do you draw a name out for every place meaning 1-2-3-4-5- whether they have a cash pay out or not, or do you draw from the whole bin of numbers for the money spots? do I need to be present to win? just turns into a expensive lottery ticket in some respects.

As far as another bar tourament that was, what happens if you give away all the money and there is none left for the groups that worked hard to put it on? That has happened as well. The old adage that if we stand behind our word, more will come next year, hardly ever works.

I do not look to point fingers, just like to know what we are getting into.
GlennC
Posted 1/25/2008 9:40 AM (#65389 - in reply to #65368)

Stacker -

We have raised 14,350 to this point in donations along with well over $3,000 in door prizes with a committee of 4 people. In terms of attendance I would be disappointed to not hit 200. The $3,350 in excess will already be donated to the non-profits.

100 tickets already sold via internet and we are working with Walleyes for Tomorrow to sell tickets in FDL, Oshkosh, Berlin, & Appleton. Over a dozen other fishing organizations have been contacted as well. In addition our Rotary Club of 150 members has yet to buy any tickets, and posters and tickets will be up in 15 cities by next week. Combine with internet links Starting Feb 1 on Lake-Link on the Winnebago site, winnebagofishing.com, newspaper ads in the Northwestern, radio ads donated for us etc. ticket sales will continue to ad up.

Regarding questions of places not being filled, we will then draw for prizes thereafter. No ice - we will draw Sunday as stated in the rules. Feel free to call me with any concerns or need to clarify issues on the website - we can make corrections/clarifications. Appreciate the input.
stacker
Posted 1/25/2008 10:32 AM (#65395 - in reply to #65389)

Sounds good glennC.
Posted 3/3/2008 9:25 AM (#66692 - in reply to #65231)

The battleon Bago was awesome. This was the first time I went fishing this year as my kids have Bball tournaments every weekend. I won a $1000 for a .42 pound perch. No clue I even had a chance. It was a really neat event, with over 500 entries, I'd say that this event was very successful and will get even bigger in the years to come.

I almost hate to eat it, but I'm having a fish sandwich for lunch with that $1000 perch. It was the only fish I caught!
MJ
Viking
Posted 3/3/2008 11:34 AM (#66696 - in reply to #66692)

Congratulations on the win Tyee! Was the winning fish a walleye or a lawyer?
tyee
Posted 3/3/2008 3:21 PM (#66705 - in reply to #65231)

This was a GREAT event for a great cause, 600-700 tickets were sold and it will be a great addition to the festivities around the Winnebago during hard water season. As they have already locked in the date for next year.

I really had no intention of fishing but a friend that was having poor success on the lake wanted to learn a few things so I took him out there to a spot that has been producing a lot of smaller fish this year. We got a few fish and every so often a school would come through and the Marcum light up like a Christmas tree. This particular fish was tight to the bottom but fish were biting in the lower half most of the time we were there. 21.5" 4.46 lb's. Gonna be a great year as these girls are very healthy! I can't stress enough that if you want success out there you have to be mobile and moving often over 300 yards at a time.

Good luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 3/3/2008 3:24 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Battle on Bago3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Battle on Bago3.jpg (48KB - 144 downloads)
Matt
Posted 3/4/2008 11:07 AM (#66750 - in reply to #65231)

Now,
Why dont you give credit where credit is due.....I think an individual helped you find fish after not marking or seeing anything all morning...
tyee
Posted 3/4/2008 4:59 PM (#66766 - in reply to #66750)

OK Matt THANKS for telling me fish were located somewhere in that 10 million square foot area!

Good Luck
Tyee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)