Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tips on fishing open water in January??

Message Subject: Tips on fishing open water in January??
Ranger
Posted 1/2/2007 10:41 PM (#50138)
Subject: Tips on fishing open water in January??

Looks like highs in the upper 40*s the next few days. Again. So I'll go out in the boat. There's a local lake, about 400 acres with lots of features such as a couple distinct basins to 40', some sharp dropoffs, some shallow structure (sand bar w/ some weeds) etc. Water temps are at about 38*.

The MI DNR stocking records show that there should be a ton of walleyes in that lake. I've tried finding them thru the ice with no success. I haven't done much open water walleye fishing though, due to my muskie problem.

Would you 'eye guys have any suggestions on ways to find and entice those fish in open water in January? I have a boat, of course, a lake map and a fish finder.

THANKS!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleye express
Posted 1/3/2007 10:41 AM (#50146 - in reply to #50138)
Subject: RE: Tips on fishing open water in January??

Ranger.

If I had to pick my weakest fishing point, it would be figuring out small inland lakes. But I have a brother-in-law who succesfully fishes them religiously on the West Side of the State. His advice to me is to fish them almost exclusively at night, even in the colder months. I wish I could elabortate further on what techniques and strategies he employs, but I cannot.

Edited by walleye express 1/3/2007 10:44 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/5/2007 10:50 AM (#50226 - in reply to #50146)

Ranger,
I'd pretend I was standing on the ice, just employ the same jigging tactics and you'll do fine. tip ups are a bit more difficult, though...
Shep
Posted 1/5/2007 3:14 PM (#50246 - in reply to #50226)

RangerPat has been known to use the Frabill Thermal Tip Up on open water!
Jayman
Posted 1/5/2007 3:46 PM (#50248 - in reply to #50246)
Subject: Re: Tips on fishing open water in January??

Chances are the water will be much clearer now than it would say during the middle of summer....Night fishing/low light will probably be better than the day bite, especially if the lake is clear water to begin with.

I'd still treat it like fall fishing/early ice up. look shallow and look for rocks and sand that would warm up. Don't forget weed edges either. I'd work minnows and plastic, try to go lighter and fish the plastics slower. Dead sticking a minnow or slip bobbers might be another good option.

Whatever you do don't sit on the couch thinking about it.....go do it! Good Luck
Horshak
Posted 1/5/2007 4:10 PM (#50250 - in reply to #50138)

Also remember to take it easy on your outboards. Let them idle for about 15 minutes and set out easy, gradually increasing RPM's as you go. I don't know about other brands, but I was told newer Mercury outboards have .005 (that's 5 thousandths of an inch) clearance between the pistons and the cylinder. With 38 degree water going through the block it takes a lot longer to warm the cylinders than it does for the pistons. Just don't want anyone to throw a rod due to a cold seize. Good luck all! And by the way, if anyone needs a net boy, let me know.
sworrall
Posted 1/8/2007 11:59 AM (#50310 - in reply to #50250)

The weather over the next couple weeks is going to ice most of the lakes back over in the mid-west, while it's 70 degrees in New York. Crazy stuff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)