Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Prop for Esox Magnum

Message Subject: Prop for Esox Magnum
BlackTuffy
Posted 11/18/2009 7:04 PM (#86762)
Subject: Prop for Esox Magnum

New User

I have a 2005 Esox Magnum with a 90hp Merc 4-stroke.....I run a 13.25 x 17 three blade now with a StingRay Hydrofoil. It will run 39 - 40 mph at 6000rpm with very little trim. If I go to a 13.25 x 19 and trim it at all it will start porposing at 5600rpm and only run about 36 -38 mph.

I am thinking about trying a 17 or 19 pitch four blade...has anyone tried one? will it help illiminate the porposing?

PS This is my third Tuffy I have owned since 1984 but the first one I put a 4-stroke on.

Thanks
Rich

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Black Tuffy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Black Tuffy.jpg (70KB - 1224 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stacker
Posted 11/19/2009 11:16 AM (#86771 - in reply to #86762)
Subject: RE: Prop for Esox Magnum

Rich.

Lets start with some questions.

Why the hydrofoil?

Will the 19" prop only rev to 5600 trimmed all the way in?

The mounting holes on the motor where it is bolted to the boat. With the top hole being #1, which hole is it mounted in?

What is your favorite muskie lake?

BlackTuffy
Posted 11/19/2009 3:51 PM (#86776 - in reply to #86771)

New User

With the hydrofoil I can cruise along on plane as slow as 18mph...makes it nice for checking out new water with the electronics.

5700rpm is what the motor trimmed all the way down...when I start to trim it up to increase rpm's that when it starts to porpoise.

When I was a full time guide back in the early 80's (I lived in Woodruff) my favorite Musky lakes were the Minocqua chain and Big St. Germain.

Live in Cleveland, Ohio now.....but have purchased a nice piece of land in my home town of Medford, Wi. Will be moving back soon.

Hit the Turtle Flowage for one to two weeks every year....have seen some biggggies there fishing for walleyes.

Motor is mounted in the first hole.

Change baits and twitch often.

Edited by BlackTuffy 11/19/2009 3:52 PM
stacker
Posted 11/19/2009 5:33 PM (#86779 - in reply to #86776)

hahahahahaha I am also told to quit twitching. hmmm.. bet its different.

The motor is awfully low on the transom. I would bet that it needs to be raised to the 3rd hole. 4 will make it cavitate. Then you will be able to trim. I think You will end up with a 21 pitch prop. That boat is gonna run over 40.

Just a word, I would unbolt the hydrofoil before I start moving things and only put it back on after you have accomplished the porposing problem. I am not a huge fan of a hydrofoil, the only reason I would ever put one on would be to get hole shot. At 18 MPH the foil should not even be in the water.

SS prop... with the batteries and t-motor you will get bounce because your aluminum prop will flex. Not needed for the tests, but will be a present someone can get for you later.

Seen 2 tanks at the turtle last year, one spit out an 18" walleye.

Have you had this boat since new?

Edited by stacker 11/19/2009 5:35 PM
iceman35
Posted 11/19/2009 5:58 PM (#86780 - in reply to #86762)
Subject: Re: Prop for Esox Magnum

my thoughts are:
stainless prop...
remove hydofoil...
change engine height after you get SS...
late in the year now...
max HP for this boat?
GPS speeds?
cool looking boat...
we need more pics...
iceman35
Posted 11/20/2009 5:22 AM (#86785 - in reply to #86762)

got more time now...
Alum props don't like a high trim setting...
I'm not up on 90 hp prop availability...
A 3 blade stainless would give you good top speed but planing may be a hassle... 4 blade would be good for outa the hole but top speed would suffer... be good in rough water with your lower motor setting...
your merc dealer should let you try props before buying...
not familar with that model boat but it may not respond well to a high trim setting...
best bet to start... leave the foil on... get a 3 blade stainless to try... this would be fastest before ice...
BlackTuffy
Posted 11/20/2009 3:03 PM (#86796 - in reply to #86785)

New User

Was not able to try props I bought the boat from a dealer in Northern Wisconsin where I bought my first two from. Drove 800 miles to pick it up....I like to be loyal to people that have always treated me fair everyone deserves to make a buck and I like to give my money to people who I trust and feel good about and now they will help you out in a pinch. Attached are pics of my first two Tuffy's and one more of my new one. If my memory serves me I thought I was able to do about 48mph with the 2-stroke 90 Mariner.

I quess I'am just curious about getting more speed and wondering if the motor is mounted in the wrong hole because my son bought a boat that weights twice as much and he can do 54mph....its a Nitro bass boat with a 115 Merc. Opti Max.

I think I will go to a local dealer here in Cleveland and have him raise the motor one or two holes and try a 13.25 x 19 ss prop. I think that is what I had on my old Tuffy but I can't remember....

Thanks
Change often and keep twitching
Rich
BlackTuffy
Posted 11/20/2009 3:06 PM (#86797 - in reply to #86785)

New User

Was not able to try props I bought the boat from a dealer in Northern Wisconsin where I bought my first two from. Drove 800 miles to pick it up....I like to be loyal to people that have always treated me fair everyone deserves to make a buck and I like to give my money to people who I trust and feel good about and now they will help you out in a pinch. Attached are pics of my first two Tuffy's and one more of my new one. If my memory serves me I thought I was able to do about 48mph with the 2-stroke 90 Mariner.

I quess I'am just curious about getting more speed and wondering if the motor is mounted in the wrong hole because my son bought a boat that weights twice as much and he can do 54mph....its a Nitro bass boat with a 115 Merc. Opti Max.

I think I will go to a local dealer here in Cleveland and have him raise the motor one or two holes and try a 13.25 x 19 ss prop. I think that is what I had on my old Tuffy but I can't remember....

Thanks
Change often and keep twitching
Rich

(Black Tuffy 4.jpg)

(Black Tuffy 4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Black Tuffy 4.jpg (54KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments Black Tuffy 4.jpg (54KB - 247 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)