Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> MWC Schedule is out.

Message Subject: MWC Schedule is out.
MWCer
Posted 10/6/2008 10:52 AM (#73983)
Subject: MWC Schedule is out.

Central Division
March 28 & 29 - Spring Valley, IL (Illinois River)
May 16 & 17 -- Lake City, MN (Mississippi River/Lake Pepin)
July 11 & 12 - Marinette WI/Menominee MI (Bay of Green Bay)

East Division
April 25 & 26 - Trenton, MI (Detroit River & Michigan Only Lake Erie)
May 29, 30 & 31 - Sandusky, OH (Central Lake Erie)
Aug 21, 22 & 23– Dunkirk, NY (Eastern Lake Erie)

West Division
May 2 & 3 – Mobridge, SD (Lake Oahe)
July 25 & 26 – Devils Lake, ND (Devils Lake)
Sept 12 & 13 – Webster, SD (Waubay Lake)

Championship
October 7 (ProAm) and 8-10 - Dundee, MI (Lake Erie & Detroit River)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ct
Posted 10/6/2008 12:31 PM (#73988 - in reply to #73983)
Subject: RE: MWC Schedule is out.

Just my opinion but I think the central division schedule participant numbers will drop dramatically, that is an ugly schedule.
bww
Posted 10/6/2008 2:15 PM (#73989 - in reply to #73983)

I agree, participation in the central will be down. That schedule is ugly but I suppose to some it looks great. Is anyone else who normally fishes the MWC getting a bit tired of the Spring Valley tournament year after year? I know the people and community are great, etc. but just wondering how others feel?
walleye express
Posted 10/6/2008 2:26 PM (#73990 - in reply to #73989)

Not trying to start any crap here. But isn't that first one the one that gets flooded out every year? And didn't one fish win it last year and everybody figured that one winning fish was snagged? That late March timeframe is a tough one to predict on the rivers I fish as well. Some years the water levels are O.K. and the fishing outstanding for some excellent pre-spawners. Most other years though with a little warm weather run-off and some rain, the river is at the top of the parking lot.

Edited by walleye express 10/6/2008 2:28 PM
Juls_OH
Posted 10/6/2008 3:05 PM (#73991 - in reply to #73990)

No Dan, there were 4 fish caught last year. Not just 1.

I never heard anyone accuse the winners of snagging...??

Don't you think it's wrong to tarnish reputations with a question like that, without knowing the facts? Or, at least careless? I do.

Fact: The river does NOT flood every year. We've fished there plenty of times when it was a normal stage for the month of March/April.

Juls
Rich S
Posted 10/6/2008 3:15 PM (#73992 - in reply to #73983)
Subject: Re: MWC Schedule is out.

Spring Valley is MWC. Getting rid of that stop is out of the question if you ask me. Absolutely my favorite tournament. Sure it can be ugly but the numbers don't lie. You will have a lot of unhappy campers if it is not the first stop. It has always been my first tournament of the year since I started back in '01. And besides, where else could you have a tournament in March and get those numbers?? Plus, it has got to be one of the best sauger fisheries in the country.

Edited by Rich S 10/6/2008 3:20 PM
GNWC Rookie
Posted 10/6/2008 3:19 PM (#73993 - in reply to #73992)

It seems to me to be the typical MWC schedule. Why deviate from what works. This schedule gives something to most types of anglers.

The river guys get Spring Valley & Red Wing
The trollers get Green Bay and Red Wing (Pepin)

It's actually a pretty good mix in my opinion. This day and age, everybody's looking to level the playing field, and this does it pretty well.
walleye express
Posted 10/6/2008 3:27 PM (#73994 - in reply to #73991)

Juls_OH - 10/6/2008 4:05 PM

No Dan, there were 4 fish caught last year. Not just 1.

I never heard anyone accuse the winners of snagging...??

Don't you think it's wrong to tarnish reputations with a question like that, without knowing the facts? Or, at least careless? I do.

Fact: The river does NOT flood every year. We've fished there plenty of times when it was a normal stage for the month of March/April.

Juls

Juls.

Chill. You have enough problems with slammers, but I'm not one of them. Try to remember that. That's why I said at the begining "I'm not trying to start any Crap" and I was not. That is truly what I seemed to remember reading about that tourney. And if you think snagging fish in those flooded conditions (by accident of course) is rare, you have not fished enough rivers yet cousin. I'm no stranger to what changing spring river conditions can do in a hurry to the best layed plans. If I was continually having high water trouble at certain times of the year, I may not change the place but would change the date to fish it. That's all I meant.

Edited by walleye express 10/6/2008 3:46 PM
Juls_OH
Posted 10/6/2008 3:35 PM (#73995 - in reply to #73994)

And if you think snagging fish in those flooded conditions are rare, you have not fished enough rivers yet cousin. QUOTE]

Yep, I'm just sitting here in my office....chill'n!

Did I say it was rare? Nope. I'm not as old as you are Cuz-in-law, but I have fished plenty of rivers in my 45 years...even snagged some fish.... Who hasn't?

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want the winners to be tagged as cheaters when that wasn't the case, whether you meant to, or not...that's the way it came across. You know how this internet stuff works...just saying, "I don't want to start any crap", doesn't mean you're not going to. Know what I mean?

Juls
walleye express
Posted 10/6/2008 3:42 PM (#73996 - in reply to #73995)

Didn't the guy/team who won it last year just catch one fish on the last day?
Juls_OH
Posted 10/6/2008 3:50 PM (#73997 - in reply to #73996)

walleye express - 10/6/2008 4:42 PM

Didn't the guy/team who won it last year just catch one fish on the last day?

Yes, but so did three other teams. They paid out 4 places. Each team caught one fish.

Juls
Jayman
Posted 10/6/2008 4:14 PM (#73999 - in reply to #73997)

"And if you think snagging fish in those flooded conditions (by accident of course) is rare, you have not fished enough rivers yet cousin. I'm no stranger to what changing spring river conditions can do in a hurry to the best layed plans."

Since you're not a stranger, perhaps you should step up to the plate. Instead instill doubt upon someone else's skills. Perhaps a few.....just a few may be able to catch a fish when you can't. Not trying to start crap...
BAD NEWS BOB
Posted 10/6/2008 7:16 PM (#74002 - in reply to #73994)

I have fished the Spring Valley many more times than both Dan and Jules put together and about 50% of the time at that timer of year it is in flood stage with the chocolate milk water and floating telephone poles plus old refrigerators from Obama's Chicago. The REAL reason Spring Valley will never leave the MWC schedule is BECAUSE SPRING VALLEY PAYS IN EXCESS OF 10,000 DOLLARS TO HOST AN MWC tournament!

It is NOT about fishing. It is ABOUT $$$$$$$$$
Rich S
Posted 10/7/2008 6:42 AM (#74004 - in reply to #73983)

50%...WRONG:) Give me a couple days and I will tell you the exact percentage.

This is obviously not the same BNB as before;)
sworrall
Posted 10/7/2008 7:49 AM (#74005 - in reply to #73983)

Who gives a hoot who pays what to whom?

The MWC traditionally holds their first event out of Spring Valley, and will probably do so for the near future at least. It's usually a good event. Weather and conditions effect any event, one can have flooded conditions on almost any pool of any major river at any time. Winds can kill an event for one day or more on any of the Great Lakes. Freezing temps can even cause a cancellation of a day in South Dakota.

That's tournament fishing.

The key is to know when to cancel. I can remember plenty of times I personally felt the boats should not have left the docks, and remember plenty of times when the Pros were complaining because they thought a cancellation was not necessary.

Mark Komo
Posted 10/7/2008 7:49 AM (#74006 - in reply to #73983)

I think the schedule is pretty nice. And the west folks should be happy. Spring Valley is always a fun spot, though indeed it can get hairy.

Is spring valleye a year to year thing with MWC or is there some long term contract or something?
Posted 10/7/2008 7:50 AM (#74007 - in reply to #73983)

Variety is the spice of life . some poeple just cant except any change nor do they want to. Thats to bad for mwc.Theres alot of anglers who dont care to fish anywhere in that god awfull state of NOISE. Anyone know how many boats showed up last year at that tourny?
ct
Posted 10/7/2008 8:20 AM (#74009 - in reply to #73983)

Poor "walleye express": You made the fatal error of saying smething bad about somethng that the 4/5 controllers of this site like. Now you will experience the wrath of sworrall, sunshine, rich s, jayman, rookie etc. You need to realize you can never say anything bad about a circuit or it's directors or any boat or they will always jump your ....

Back to the topic, if change is good then why never change spring valley, why is it the only stop that is always on the schedule but the other 2 always rotate around? If spring valley doesn't change then why not lock in two other spots and make it a permanent thing with 3 same spots every year GB in July, come on that is not even close to prime time for there, yeah yeah I know it's gotten much better but still.......
Posted 10/7/2008 8:33 AM (#74010 - in reply to #74009)

2007 was the year of 4 fish. 2008 had around 160 boats with 1106 fish being caught. Something must be right if this will be the 23rd year for this event.
Bad News BOb
Posted 10/7/2008 8:53 AM (#74012 - in reply to #74005)

BWW said,
I agree, participation in the central will be down. That schedule is ugly but I suppose to some it looks great. Is anyone else who normally fishes the MWC getting a bit tired of the Spring Valley tournament year after year? I know the people and community are great, etc. but just wondering how others feel?

The guy wanted an answer if anglers were getting tired of fishing Spring Valley year after year.

Spring Valley has had an MWC tourney since 1988 EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If my math is correct that makes 21 STRAIGHT years.

Steve, I really wish you would start informing your readers about what really happens and quit "fluffing" the truth with trivial statements like , " who really cares about who pays what to whom'?

Spring Valley MWC will BE ON THE DATE LIST FOREVER AS LONG AS SPRING VALLEY KEEPS PAYING THE MWC TO HOLD A TOURNAMENT THERE!

They really don't care how high the river rises or how bad the fishing is. The fact remains is if you PAY the MWC to hold a tournament , they will hold a tournament ANYPLACE.

I remember when the MWC held 2 tournaments in on Muskegon Lake and had over 250 teams catch 8 fish one year and 12 fish the next. Because the Muskegon Lake people didn't pay the MWC money like Spring Valley, the MWC dropped Muskegon Lake like a hot potato.

MONEY TALK AND BULLCRAP WALKS when you start scheduling walleye tournaments. This is way it has been FOREVER and IT WILL NOT CHANGE.

Bad News Bob
Posted 10/7/2008 9:04 AM (#74013 - in reply to #74012)

Let me add this and you take it for what it is worth. When you fish a Spring Valley walleye tournament. any time you reel in a fish and the jig is anywhere near the mouth including the gills you put it in the live well faster than a 20 dollars bill disappears on a Chicago sidewalk. A walleye tournament is the last place you want to get self righteous just because the hook caught the gill plate instead of the mouth. Don't kid yourself boys and girls, I AM NOT GOING TO THROW BACK A Sauger BECAUSE IT WAS HOOKED IN THE GILL PLATE AND ANY OTHER IDIOT WITH BRAIN CELLS WON'T either, especially when this tournament can be won on one puny minmum legal size Sauger which was 13 inches.

The chance of getting caught is below ZERO and I personally know of well over 30 guys who snagged Spring Valley saugers and kept them. It is just the way things are done when you fish Spring Valley.
Rich S
Posted 10/7/2008 9:31 AM (#74015 - in reply to #74013)

Bob, are you just mad because the MWC came out with their schedule? Have the pre-winter blues getting you down? Has the presidential race got your undies in a bundle? Rest assured, Hillary might run again in four years so you still will have another chance to get her in. Hang in there bud, it will get better:)

P.S. I do appreciate the comic relief you give this site. Keep it coming, I feel smarter after every post I read. Thanks again.
Rich S
Posted 10/7/2008 9:39 AM (#74016 - in reply to #74009)

ct - 10/7/2008 8:20 AM

Poor "walleye express": You made the fatal error of saying smething bad about somethng that the 4/5 controllers of this site like. Now you will experience the wrath of sworrall, sunshine, rich s, jayman, rookie etc. You need to realize you can never say anything bad about a circuit or it's directors or any boat or they will always jump your ....

Back to the topic, if change is good then why never change spring valley, why is it the only stop that is always on the schedule but the other 2 always rotate around? If spring valley doesn't change then why not lock in two other spots and make it a permanent thing with 3 same spots every year GB in July, come on that is not even close to prime time for there, yeah yeah I know it's gotten much better but still.......

CT, you should look back in the archives after the 2007 Spring Valley tournament. You might find the info and the opinions expressed here very interesting.
Shep
Posted 10/7/2008 9:53 AM (#74018 - in reply to #74013)

BNB, you don't know everything. I know of one angler in that tourney who hooked two fish outside the mouth, snagged they were, and they both went back in. He would have won the tourney if he had kept them. Sorry, but your loathing of the MWC is showing through again.

And even if Spring Valley pays the MWC to hold an event, so what?

And you never did answer my question from the other thread. You state that you were a tournament angler. How did that work out for you?
Rich S
Posted 10/7/2008 10:03 AM (#74019 - in reply to #73983)

Shep, with the economy the way it is right now expect to see more of this. Lots of "unsuccessful" tournament anglers out there right now that are very bitter.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)