Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> And even more bad news for the fishing industry and Wisconsin

Message Subject: And even more bad news for the fishing industry and Wisconsin
Sunshine
Posted 12/11/2008 4:30 PM (#75664)
Subject: And even more bad news for the fishing industry and Wisconsin

Things just keep getting worst.......

More work force reduction at Mercury

Thursday, 11 December 2008 11:20

Mercury Marine will reduce its hourly work force in Fond du Lac, Wis. by approximately 160 positions in response to current marine market conditions.

The company, which is a unit of Brunswick Corp., expects to complete these reductions by the end of January.

“Like many companies in the marine industry, Mercury continues to monitor and respond to the ongoing economic challenges facing the market, including tightening credit, high fuel prices, falling home values and escalating living expenses — all of which result in weakening consumers’ ability to purchase discretionary products,” said Brunswick spokesman Dan Kubera.

Mercury employs approximately 2,400 salaried and hourly individuals in Fond du Lac.

Brunswick earlier this year announced plans to close plants and lay off more than 1,000 employees in order to cut about $300 million in fixed costs by the end of 2009.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 12/11/2008 9:28 PM (#75666 - in reply to #75664)
Subject: Re: And even more bad news for the fishing industry and Wisconsin

This too shall pass, but it's going to be a bumpy road.
Sunshine
Posted 12/12/2008 5:52 AM (#75667 - in reply to #75666)

Heard on the news last night that 1.5 million jobs have been lost so far this year in the US and they are expecting another 650,000 to 1 mil. This was all before the auto bailout was rejected by the senate. I believe that the bumpy road may require a detour while it is being fixed.
stacker
Posted 12/12/2008 9:41 AM (#75669 - in reply to #75664)
Subject: RE: And even more bad news for the fishing industry and Wisconsin

Of course, I can never leave well enough alone. Exactly how does this news equate to bad news for the fishing industry? Did they specifically say that because fishing boat sales were down, that they would get rid of production people? And even if they did, how exactly does this equate to being bad news for the fishing industry?

Edited by stacker 12/12/2008 9:43 AM
It affected me
Posted 12/12/2008 1:21 PM (#75671 - in reply to #75664)

How has the economy affected fishing?

I quit this fall and won't be back for awhile. I can't afford the boat, gas, time off because this economy sucks. I have worked in an industry that is getting beaten to death by the slowdown in the economy. And the worst part is I feel helpless. I'm a 50+ year old guy who did everything right, but I never saw this coming and neither did any of my fellow employees. I saved my money and put braces on my kid’s teeth, I gave every week to my church. I had a used boat, 2 used cars with over 100,000 miles and I owe nothing on anything but my modest home. If you had asked me 18 months ago, I would have told you I was done with the big expenses raising my family and ready to start spending, I helped all 3 of my kids get through College. I had plans for a new Ranger, heck I even had 1/2 the money saved. I had my new used truck picked out and was all ready to start enjoying my 30 years of working hard, but not anymore. I still have the money in the bank for the boat and the truck but I'm using it to get by until this economy picks back up. I can't even bear to look at my savings and investment statement because I know how hard I busted my butt to do the right thing for my family and save for the future. This whole experience has been a shock to my system and I will never be the same when it comes to spending money. I've never been paid by the hour and I'm not a union guy. I always thought you get paid for the value you bring to the market. I'd be the last guy to ask for a handout. If I have to dig ditches to support myself, I'd do it with a smile and be thankful for the shovel. In my entire working career, I've earned good money and I sent a whole lot of it to the Government, Schools and Taxes, I was Middle America the politicians speak about every day. I have personal contact with over 200 small to large businesses throughout the Midwest and every one of them is hurting.

I'd like nothing better than to wake up tomorrow and feel better about spending money, but my priorities have changed. Just speaking for myself, the recent slowdown has forever affected the way I think about spending money.
thumper
Posted 12/12/2008 1:23 PM (#75672 - in reply to #75664)

Well, as it relates to the fishing industry, it's certainly not good news, right? So it must be bad news. Those are the only two options. There is a third option: believing that it has no effect at all...for more info on that viewpoint, please visit www.stoplivingunderarock.com
stacker
Posted 12/12/2008 1:39 PM (#75673 - in reply to #75672)

Just because something is not good news it definantly does not have to be bad news either. There is a neutral. It was stated that it was bad news and I asked how.
thumper
Posted 12/12/2008 1:51 PM (#75674 - in reply to #75664)

I guess I can't see any scenario where a major boat engine manufacturer lays off 160 more people and that is not a negative thing.
laid-off
Posted 12/12/2008 2:08 PM (#75675 - in reply to #75664)

Are boat engine manufacturers and their employees not part of the fishing industy?
And if so, do you think the 160 employees are feeling 'nuetral' ?
I'm betting that not one off these 160 good folk will be purchasing a new boat from you anytime soon. Is that 'good' for the industry?
stacker
Posted 12/12/2008 2:24 PM (#75676 - in reply to #75675)

Guys, sunshine said that mercury laid off, not fired, 160 employees. He stated that it was bad for the fishing industry. I simply asked why. It was asked by someone, if a engine manufacturer was not part of the fishing industry. Of course they are, but a small portion of the pie at best. However, how does this lay off make it bad for the fishing industry? Do you know how many engines wind up on the transoms of fishing boats out of the many many many engines that they produce yearly? With out these jobs that were laid off, not terminated, what percentage of income will be lost in the fishing world? What will the economical impact be on our sport? Also, do you know if it is normal for Mercury to have a layoff around the holidays every year no matter what the economy is doing? Always spreading the gloom and doom and wrapping each other in the few evils of the world will never help progress, all we will do is regress. Smile.
stacker
Posted 12/12/2008 3:17 PM (#75678 - in reply to #75664)

Thanks guest, who might you be, I always like to know who is giving me advise.

He was nice enough to post WHAT? The gloom and doom? Get a life. He makes comments and no one can question him? Grow up.
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/12/2008 4:58 PM (#75682 - in reply to #75664)

Stacker does bring up a valid question. Is this bad news in the boat building industry...yes. It necessarily bad news for the fishing industry...no. Boat motors are what make a boating industry but it doesn’t play such a huge role in the fishing industry.
Sunshine
Posted 12/12/2008 6:15 PM (#75685 - in reply to #75664)

Mr. "It affected me"

I'm sorry to hear of your financial situation. I hope things get better for you. As you can see some people just do not care about individual losses. I hope you and your family are together over the holidays and find peace during these difficult times.

I also hope that the 3,000 people who have lost their jobs in Southeast Wisconsin since November 1st will be better off in 2009.

I fear that the worst is yet to come.

Stacker,

I guess that I am just too tired to play with you today. Go find another bone to chew on.

RedNeckTech
Posted 12/12/2008 6:46 PM (#75688 - in reply to #75685)

Where in my 46 word post did I ever state I do not care about individual losses? Mercury does not build motors just for fishing, they have a huge market in recreational. The over all impact of this specific turn of events is very, very small compared to the entire fishing "industry". It has a much greater impact on the over-all boating industry than the fishing industry. Yes it is bad news for the boat-building industry.
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/12/2008 9:13 PM (#75691 - in reply to #75664)

I said was this hurts the boating industry a lot more than the fishing industry. Stacker made a point (no matter how trivial) and I don't think he was trying to insult anyone. (Stacker has disagreed with me in the past) He doesn't think it affects the industry to the point where it is anything to worry about. The auto industry failing affects how often people drive as much as the Mercury layoffs affect how often people will fish. The layoffs affect jobs and people on a personal level but probably will not affect the fishing industry on a whole. That was the only point, it was not trying to demean any situation anyone is in.
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2008 8:27 AM (#75694 - in reply to #75664)

So what's to be done for it? Is the sky falling and will the 90% of the US workforce still working in a worse-case-scenario be effected directly? Now economists are worried about deflation, a chronic reduction in retail pricing that will hurt company profits but drop consumer prices, Japan's Yen hit a high point against the dollar creating export problems for them but an advantage for us, and how do you think the media here reported on that, housing sales fell again because people are under the impression no loans are available which isn't true, gasoline is now a buck and a half and change in many places in the US and the speculators who drove up the price are pouring thier money into other futures as gasoline demand continues to fall, the republcans managed to nix the Auto bailout bill for the time being because they demanded changes that supposedly would bring the companies borrowing that money into line expenses wise with those that are not going broke (hmmm, can the Senate dictate how a company handles it's labor negotiations in this case? I guess so..) banks are using the bailout money to buy other banks and get bigger and snottier, and the media continues to scream disaster, disaster, everyone run, everyone duck and cover, under your school desk.

If we all react by tightening our spending despite the fact many of us haven't seen a drop in income and probably won't, we personally help deepen the crisis and create a self fulfilling prophesy. Want to see this end? We need a BIG increase in consumer spending, need the government to stop messing with our collective minds and either bail out the banks and auto makers or let them collapse and then deal with THAT, and we need our new President to take office if for no other reason than folks may think things might get better and go to the store.

If everyone in the US and every other industrial country who has it went out and spent $600 on anything they need or want tomorrow this thing would begin to turn around. Why are the companies in trouble IN trouble? We, the almighty consumer, stopped buying their stuff, and that includes boats and motors, to the surprise of no one. The banks, now that's another story.
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/13/2008 10:34 AM (#75699 - in reply to #75694)

Steve you summed it up perfectly. The one thing people seem to over look at times is that WE are the economy, not the government. The government does not produce a single dollar...we do. I believe there is plenty of time to turn this around.
Sunshine
Posted 12/13/2008 11:47 AM (#75700 - in reply to #75694)

Steve:

Obviously neither of us are economists and have all the answers but we always talk civil to each other and listen to each others ideas with an open mind. I’ll give you my viewpoints and you can take them for what it is worth.

Many of us personalize our ideas on how it affects “me”. When we speak about the national economy that reasoning is normally unrealistic because of where we live. As a general rule, the Midwest is buffered by the extremes in the market, economy and short term trends. I believe that you understand what I mean. If you watch what happens on the east and west coasts, they are always on a bigger “rollercoaster ride” than those in the Midwestern States. Generally the reasoning, of “this doesn’t effect me, so it can’t be all that bad” is a mentality that is the “self- fulfilling prophesy” because of the buffering effect that I speak of. Unfortunately, I believe that we will see the more drastic effects this time around. I guess that was my intent with the two previous posts concerning bad news in Wisconsin and the fishing industry. I just cut and pasted articles that I came across and didn’t editorialize them in anyway except for the title of the thread. IMHO, like it or not, we are all effected or will be effected.

You also suggest that allot of this may be media hype. Where was the media when we actually started this recession a year ago? Why wasn’t that reported? Weren’t all the signs there?  I believe the signs were there but not the hype you speak of. Or the slow effects were not as apparent. Or the government did their normal smoke and mirrors routine until it was too late. This is a snowball effect that started long ago and many people smarter and with power saw the signs and chose not to do anything. Even Alan Greenspan now reports that he was in error because he felt the banking industry would self impose corrections and police themselves. Greed got in the way.  In September he said: "There's no question that this is in the process of outstripping anything I've seen and it still is not resolved and still has a way to go and, indeed, it will continue to be a corrosive force until the price of homes in the United States stabilizes. Is the sky falling? Ask those who have lost their homes and jobs. You’ll get a different answer than those in the fox valley who have not seen the direct effects yet.  Let’s see what happens after December 23rd when 1,500 people are jobless in Janesville. The predictions are that the plant closing will affect 9,000 jobs in Rock County alone. How can this not affect Wisconsin who already has a deficit projection that may rocket to $5.4 billion? Take a look at the S&P price index. Most years the index moves a little bit up or, somewhat less often, a little bit down. But take a look at the historic trends. Five times since 1825 the index has soared more than 60 percent. But in only two years during the last century-and-a-half has the index dropped by 50 percent or more. One was in the Depression year of 1931. The other was this year.

You mention the worry about deflation, a chronic reduction in retail pricing that will hurt company profits but drop consumer prices. Should this be a real worry? YES!  Doesn’t history tell us that this is what is next? There will be winners and losers in this scenario.  You mention one such example with the Japanese Yen. Let’s hope that the US increases exports because of this and it helps the overall economy. There is more to the story for individuals also. The individuals who saved their money and actually have disposable income will do well during the low markets and deflation cycle. They will be rewarded for not getting into big dept and listening to their favorite lender. You mention the fall in housing sales. Again, I already see friends who have capitalized on the first fire sales in the housing industry. My point? There will be winners and losers but more losers than those who will profit. Why? Because most people in this country have gotten wrapped up in the “possession game” that the author Daniel Pink speaks of in his book, “The Whole New Mind”. We have bought things that we really do not need with money we really do not have. Want an example? There are more purchased automobiles in this country than registered drivers. Wonder if this is apart of the auto industry problems? Some feel that the automobile industry is suffering from their own prosperity. Something to think about when we speak bailouts.

You say that if we all react by tightening our spending despite the fact many of us haven't seen a drop in income and probably won't, we personally help deepen the crisis and create a self-fulfilling prophesy. My point is that you will see personal affects. I hope that you do not see a loss or drop in wages. But if you are like me, your nest egg for retirement has become drastically smaller. Any money that you have saved is making nothing in interest. And you are fearful of the stock market and feel that you are in a damned if you do and damned if you do not situation. Want to hear my personal financing solution? I’ll take the advice of Warren Buffett who says: “Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.” Why? Because I can. I listened to my grandparents who lived through the depression. I saved my money for a rainy day. I was frugal with my purchases. I didn’t buy things when I did not have the money. Unfortunately, this has not been the American way. That’s why we are in this mess and why there will be more losers. Many people just do not have any money and they were banking on homes prices to continue escalating to bail them out.

You say that if everyone in the US and every other industrial country who has it went, out and spent $600 on anything they need or want tomorrow this thing would begin to turn around. This sounds awfully familiar, didn’t we try this already? Hmmmm, seems to me that I received a check from the government just for this purpose. Didn’t work then and I do not believe it will work a second time. Besides, most people just do not have the money. They would just be borrowing again.

Thanks for making me think. That is the real purpose of web sites like this. Not the bashing and pot shots. As always, your threads make me think outside the box. Like you, I also worry about the Senate handling labor negotiations. That scares me. I have already given my viewpoints on unions on another thread so I will not repeat my personal feelings here. But they are not the main cause of this fiasco. The real culprits in my mind are the insurance companies and the health industries. They are one of the major reasons that those benefits keep climbing. In my eyes, it is no longer the hourly wage that people are making concessions on. Everyone wants unions to give up benefits because of the skyrocketing costs of health insurance. But yet, where are the screams of the injustice because of those increases? The focus is in the wrong place.

Merry Xmas

Edited by Sunshine 12/13/2008 11:52 AM
good news
Posted 12/13/2008 12:03 PM (#75702 - in reply to #75664)

There is a positive aspect to this. Mercury has every intention to weather this on thier own merit and re-hire once the storm passes. They are not closing. The union leaders also siad they saw this comming and understand why. It will get better.
Stinger Unplugged
Posted 12/13/2008 5:17 PM (#75706 - in reply to #75664)

Hey Steve,

Boy, I would love to help out by spending 600.00 but I was one of the unlucky ones who got let go.

This will get better but it is going to take time. The bad thing is there will be a lot of average people out there who couldn't or didn't save lose most of the stuff they work so hard to achieve. I for one am looking for any positives in this and the only thing that I can find so far is that I am breathing and thats great to me!

To chime in on Denny's statement. It will hurt the fishing industry because the people who lost their jobs won't have the capital to purchase baits, guides, equipment or enter tournies. I am passing up on the events this year because i don't have the cash. I will have to hire myself out as a prefishing guide.lol

I hope everyone has a great day and plays nice with one another. This is the time we all need to stick together and not debate untill were blue in the face.

Take care

Stinger
Sunshine
Posted 12/13/2008 5:46 PM (#75707 - in reply to #75706)

Stinger:

Take care my friend! I am sure everything will work out for you and your family. You are too good of a person to be out of work for long. Let's get together, my treat.

Posted 12/14/2008 8:18 AM (#75717 - in reply to #75664)

Red Neck, not sure where your coming from but when you said the government doesnt produce a single dollar ? Where do you think federal funding comes from the money tree? The gov. gives money above the budget, above your tax dollars, and above everything else, for example to school districts. Who do you think lends money for financial aid? Who do you think pays for the space program? Last time I checked that weren't selling time shares on the moon. We are a part of the economy my friend. Do your homework before you make a post.
Sunshine
Posted 12/14/2008 9:13 AM (#75719 - in reply to #75717)

Steve:

I know that you think allot of this is media hype but as I scan my Sunday morning paper a few excerpts stare me in the face and cause me and others to worry even more. Here are a few things that we all should be worried about:

General Motors Corp. said Friday it will temporarily close 20 factories across North America and make sweeping cuts to its vehicle production as it tries to adjust to dramatically weaker automobile demand. These production cuts are unrelated to the rescue’s failure and had already been planned. GM said it will cut 250,000 vehicles from its production schedule for the first quarter of 2009. The move affects most of GM’s plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Honda Motor Co. said it was cutting production in North America by 119,000 vehicles for its fiscal year ending March 31.

Please remember this when you think of the big 3. As reported in the Milwaukee Journal today……… Outside vendors produce about 70% of the parts that go into a new car.

(this is my understanding and not a paper quote) As we all know Wisconsin and specify SE Wisconsin has a large number of “mom and pop” businesses that supply parts to the big three. The “trickle effect” or your “bumps in the road” could be devastating.

Back to more news (all quotes from the paper)…….

After mass job cuts at the end of this year, 2/3 of US employers plan to freeze their staff size for the first quarter of 2009 according to a Manpower report

One in ten US home owners are delinquent on mortgage payments or are in foreclosure.

45 million people in this country are without health insurance.

The state of Wisconsin’s projected $5.4 billion budget gap is 17 percent of its biennial budget and one of the worst looming deficits in the country.

All of this while my good friends in Waukesha are preparing for the worst as GE Healthcare and Rockwell have announced that they will be announcing job reductions. These are two very important employers in my area.

Oh, and because this is a fishing web site I’ll share some fishing related data. There are 1.4 million licensed anglers in Wisconsin and 617,000 boats. There are 37,000 boats in Waukesha County alone (where I live). This data came from the real estate section where they were trying to say it was a good time to by lake property because of declining prices. Maybe the article was written for the winners in all of this economic turmoil.

Oh, and guest................

I believe that Red Neck was making a point that most of the monies that you speak of come from your pocket book in the way of taxes. Don't get me started on what has happened since we stopped using the gold standard. The current global monetary system relies on the US dollar as a reserve currency by which major transactions, such as the price of gold itself, are measured. Now, isn't that scary in our global economy.

RedNeckTech
Posted 12/14/2008 10:35 AM (#75721 - in reply to #75717)

Guest,

I do my homework and I know economics. We the taxpayers and corporations are the ones that have our money taken and given to the federal government so they can spend it. This isn't China where the government owns most of the businesses...at least not yet.
Posted 12/14/2008 10:41 AM (#75722 - in reply to #75664)

Sunshine, I don't always agree with you, but you take the time to post and you keep it clean and non-sarcastic unlike some other people. Our tax dollars don't pay for the space program, tuition aid, etc. It goes into shared revenue which goes back to our schools for our kids, the highways we drive on, etc. This mentality that we are paying for the bailout or that the government is wasting our tax dollars is not true. Some people like Red Neck, (NOT INSULTING HIM) have it in their head that way. He goes to the Non Corporate shop for employment. His business supports the local economy. His opinions face value on trying to compare his lne of work with the big problem. Although he is a person, and a good willed worker, where he works doesn't scratch the surface of tax base. The issue is the unions should be for teachers, highway workers, . policeman, fireman, etc. Not for production. At least not anymore. I am pro union, however we have shot ourselves in the foot by comparables. The UAW will probably not exist in 20 years. The reason I say public service unions should stay is because we are that..a tax based service to the public, emergency and education service, not a product. Now...Sunshine what tourneys are you thinking of doing next year? How has the economy affected your guide service, sponsers, etc. I am cutting back next year on tourneys, Id love to fish complete circuits and qualify for championships, but I think I may only do a couple here and there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)