Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Double Flash Squid Rig Fallow up.

Message Subject: Double Flash Squid Rig Fallow up.
walleye express
Posted 3/18/2006 9:53 AM (#41109)
Subject: Double Flash Squid Rig Fallow up.

Had 11 E-mails this morning (mostly from this sites visitors) concerning the Wiggle Fin Discs and the way I and others are both using and modifying them for walleye trolling on the Saginaw Bay. Most asking about the rigs I mentioned on the Ruff Guy thread, about the new Double Flash rigs I'm making and wholesaling to Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood.

Some who don't really know or will ever understand my unusual habit of sharing any and all info about fishing, might assume this is a ploy by me to sell these rigs via this sites message board. And this post in essence might produce those results, but is not a ploy of mine believe me. All of these rigs (wich are not many) will sell regardless, just like all the regular ones I made last year did at Franks. This is nothing more than a winter hobby of sorts to me. And if it makes me a few extra (off season bucks) for my ideas and labor, and puts more walleye in my or your boat during the open water season, we all win. And I don't mind in the least if anybody buys the available components and/or builds or copies these rigs. There's no patent on them, and Dean at (Wiggle Fin) would love your business and/or raves about how neat and unusual his product is. With that said, heres a couple pictures of the Double Flash rigs I put together this winter. But remember, even though these rigs look to have all the right components, attraction and charm to catch some walleyes, as did and does the regular rigs. I have not tried or used these particular (doubel flash) rigs yet, and connot or will not attach any success claims to them, until after I see personally how they work and what they produce.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 1:01 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IM001035.JPG)

(IM001036.JPG)

(IM001039.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM001035.JPG (40KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments IM001036.JPG (53KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments IM001039.JPG (71KB - 107 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cridic.
Posted 3/18/2006 10:25 AM (#41110 - in reply to #41109)
Subject: RE: Double Flash Squid Rig Fallow up.

Capt.Dan.

They can say what they want about you, and they always will. But you are a Freaking artist when it comes to harness building and color schemes.
butch
Posted 3/18/2006 12:30 PM (#41114 - in reply to #41109)

Hey Capt. Dan I have a question for you I see you run a bead on the line tie Is there a special reason for this or is it just a way to mark your product?
fiveinthelive
Posted 3/18/2006 1:12 PM (#41117 - in reply to #41109)

Dan
does the blade slide down to the wiggle finn ? we found out that if you don't have at least 12" between the wiggle finn and the blade ,it will take the action away from the wiggle finn.
just a suggestion
Tony Glynn
Albe
Posted 3/18/2006 2:40 PM (#41119 - in reply to #41117)

You can see the metal sleeve crimped above the Wiggle Fin and below the tubing used to keep the blade above the sleeve.
marbleye
Posted 3/18/2006 3:40 PM (#41124 - in reply to #41109)

This rig looks intresting and i would love to try it on my home waters. Where can a guy get some of these?
Posted 3/18/2006 5:08 PM (#41130 - in reply to #41109)

good eyes, albe I missed that LOL
Tony Glynn
walleye express
Posted 3/18/2006 6:56 PM (#41137 - in reply to #41114)

butch - 3/18/2006 1:30 PM

Hey Capt. Dan I have a question for you I see you run a bead on the line tie Is there a special reason for this or is it just a way to mark your product?

Butch.

I do it for two reason. One is to stop the blade and clevis from being forced off the end of the line. And two is that I put a straight pin through this bead into the round strofoam holders I store them on so it won't wear on the line. The bead doesnt get in the way or effect the running dynamics and makes it easier to find the end of the rig when handleing it. I tie the rigs with 17# Vanish, and My old eyes need all the help they can get.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 8:15 AM
walleye express
Posted 3/18/2006 6:58 PM (#41138 - in reply to #41117)

fiveinthelive - 3/18/2006 2:12 PM

Dan
does the blade slide down to the wiggle finn ? we found out that if you don't have at least 12" between the wiggle finn and the blade ,it will take the action away from the wiggle finn.
just a suggestion
Tony Glynn

No. If you look close you'll see that I have a sleve pinched 9 inches in front of the disc, and a plastic sleve spacer on top that. The clevis and blade rides and spins on them.
walleye express
Posted 3/18/2006 7:03 PM (#41139 - in reply to #41124)

marbleye - 3/18/2006 4:40 PM

This rig looks intresting and i would love to try it on my home waters. Where can a guy get some of these?

Marbleye.

The discs can be bought from http://www.wigglefin.com The squids from Cabelas and the rest of the components from http://Jannsnetcraft.com Franks Great Outdoors might have the ones I wholesaled to him on his internet store by now. That's http://franksgreatoutdoors.com

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 12:33 AM
terroreyes
Posted 3/18/2006 8:34 PM (#41144 - in reply to #41109)

Dan, have you ever had a problem with crimping those sleeves on Vanish? I mean it being a weak spot? I tried a similar concept of keeping the blade far away on normal harnesses with Trilene and they kept breaking right there under stress.

Nice looking rigs!!!
BORIGINI
Posted 3/18/2006 8:44 PM (#41145 - in reply to #41109)

WHAT SIZE WIGGLE FIN?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 3/18/2006 11:53 PM (#41152 - in reply to #41145)

Dan,

Do you use these as crawler harnesses or do you run them plain ??? Thanks for all the infomation, I just bought enough stuff to make 72 of them... I'm ready to give them a try!

Purple Skeeter
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 12:40 AM (#41155 - in reply to #41144)

terroreyes - 3/18/2006 9:34 PM

Dan, have you ever had a problem with crimping those sleeves on Vanish? I mean it being a weak spot? I tried a similar concept of keeping the blade far away on normal harnesses with Trilene and they kept breaking right there under stress.

Nice looking rigs!!!

Nope. Of course any time you pinch the line, you take a chance of creating a weak spot. I used to make my own Perch/Crappie rigs when I had my bait shop, and did a lot of sleve squeezing. I didn't use Vanish of course, becuase it wasn't even invented yet. 25 Pound Mason line was the line of choice for those type rigs. But I take special care not to over do the crimp job on these. I hope this doesn't become a problem.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 8:09 AM
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 12:43 AM (#41156 - in reply to #41145)

BORIGINI - 3/18/2006 9:44 PM

WHAT SIZE WIGGLE FIN?

I went with the bigger size disc, because once you get the beads and the crawler on there it becomes a lot to wiggle back and forth.
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 12:49 AM (#41157 - in reply to #41152)

Purple Skeeter - 3/19/2006 12:53 AM

Dan,

Do you use these as crawler harnesses or do you run them plain ??? Thanks for all the infomation, I just bought enough stuff to make 72 of them... I'm ready to give them a try!

Purple Skeeter

I've had the most success with the regular ones running real crawlers and even Gulp Worms (The 6" Night Crawler Version in Natural and Punkinseed) work when the bite is steady. I'm not sure running them without any bait will work. You also have to be very sure your hooking the crawler (or the Gulp) right in the very tip of the nose and out the side with the top hook, so it runs straight on the rig. The second hook should also be taunt and straight, and should hook behind the heart of the crawler. Any part of the crawler hanging off to the side or sagging, deadens the wiggle action.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 8:22 AM
BORIGINI
Posted 3/19/2006 7:47 AM (#41163 - in reply to #41156)

THANK YOU FROM THE WEST
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 8:10 AM (#41164 - in reply to #41163)

BORIGINI - 3/19/2006 8:47 AM

THANK YOU FROM THE WEST

YOUR WELCOME FROM THE EAST. I just hope they have universal appeal.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 3/19/2006 2:13 PM (#41178 - in reply to #41164)

Oh no.... I just read your last post and found out you use the Larger size... and I just ordered 72 of the smaller size...... Should I re-order the larger ones... I'll be using them for crawler harnesses and also with the Cabelas squids ??

Help !!!

Purple Skeeter
marbleye
Posted 3/19/2006 5:22 PM (#41189 - in reply to #41109)

I see you have 2 hooks on the squid rigs do you run a crawler on it or just the way you showed them. And if you don't use anything does that back hook just hang back behing the squid.
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 6:30 PM (#41196 - in reply to #41178)

Purple Skeeter - 3/19/2006 3:13 PM

Oh no.... I just read your last post and found out you use the Larger size... and I just ordered 72 of the smaller size...... Should I re-order the larger ones... I'll be using them for crawler harnesses and also with the Cabelas squids ??

Help !!!

Purple Skeeter

Skeeter.

Oh-Oh is right. IMHO The smaller ones won't do the job the bigger ones will/do. I won't guarantee it, but Dean might exchange the smaller ones for you if you turn the order around at the door when it arrives. Give him a call and tell him what happened. 1-208-388-8539. He's a real nice guy and I know he'll work with you on this.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 6:41 PM
walleye express
Posted 3/19/2006 6:36 PM (#41197 - in reply to #41189)

marbleye - 3/19/2006 6:22 PM

I see you have 2 hooks on the squid rigs do you run a crawler on it or just the way you showed them. And if you don't use anything does that back hook just hang back behing the squid.

Marble.

What you see is what they get, but always with a crawler of some type. I run two #2 Mustad Beak Hooks and let the tail of the crawler wag in the wash of the rigs. I've had very few if any short hits rigging them in this fasion. Funny part was last summer, I had virtually no trash fish to speak of hit these rigs, mostly walleyes. I don't have theory one about why that was, but I sure won't complain about it either.

Edited by walleye express 3/19/2006 6:42 PM
Dan(MI
Posted 3/21/2006 6:01 AM (#41270 - in reply to #41109)

I've been using squids on my spinners for years now. All my friends thought I was kinda out there. I used them without the wiggle fin with good results on the bay.

SSShhhhh don't tell everybody.

Dan
Matt.G
Posted 3/21/2006 6:11 PM (#41323 - in reply to #41109)

Nice rigs Capt.Dan it looks like I will have to try this out this summer. How big of squids do you use or what is your favorite size of squid to use.

Thanks

Edited by Matt.G 3/21/2006 6:11 PM
walleye express
Posted 3/21/2006 8:18 PM (#41329 - in reply to #41323)

Matt.G - 3/21/2006 7:11 PM

Nice rigs Capt.Dan it looks like I will have to try this out this summer. How big of squids do you use or what is your favorite size of squid to use.

Thanks

You probably noticed the (Proven) squids I used with the regular rigs were a lot larger than the ones I've used to build these new "Double Flash" rigs with. Thats because I customized and used the very first ones that Dean sent me, that came on his "Chuckle Head" rigs used for salmon. Dean assumed I ran salmon charters out of my big boat when he sent them to me. I still run salmon trips, but out of my jet sled on the rivers. So I was actually going to give them all to my (Big Lake) salmon fishing buddies, but seen some promise in their design for walleyes. So I simply trimmed down the squids skirt/legs, removed the Huge single siwash hook and tied in the double hooked harness. The ones I'm using now are 3 1/2 inches versus those first bigger ones. I hope this isn't a mistake on my part. But I think the slightly smaller versions will act even more intising.

Edited by walleye express 3/22/2006 7:41 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)