Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Boat

Message Subject: New Boat
Posted 1/3/2007 11:35 AM (#50148)
Subject: New Boat

If you guys where buying a new boat, which of the following three would you choose ?

Triton 202
Ranger 620
Lund Pro V 19
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark Komo
Posted 1/3/2007 11:38 AM (#50149 - in reply to #50148)
Subject: Re: New Boat

I like the triton. But what about skeeter and tuffy.
john mannerino
Posted 1/3/2007 11:45 AM (#50151 - in reply to #50149)

Triton will be my next boat.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/3/2007 12:53 PM (#50153 - in reply to #50151)

As has been stated many times over...find a few days on Big Water(Green Bay, Erie, Devils Lake, Winnebago, somewhere in Minnesota) and go for a ride in 2-3 footers and then decide.....Try to ride in as many as possible..Tuffy, Skeeter, Alumacraft, etc...
Has anyone ever been in a Charger SUV 190/210. There is one on e-bay right now and it "looks" like a nice multi-species big water boat. Does anyone on one of the big tours run one?
Gordy
Posted 1/3/2007 12:53 PM (#50154 - in reply to #50151)

I think you need to look at what the most important things are to you :

Motors
Layouts
Features
Price
Dealer

All these things are so important, and different to each buyer. You need a boat that fits YOU. This will be a huge and might I say poor investment. You will never get the money spent back, so you will have to enjoy what you purchase! It will be for you, not what others feel you should own. As always look at every single model of boat made (in the size you are looking at) choose the one that fits your needs. There are many very nice boats in the size you are looking at here. Take your time and choose what feels right to you.
Remember this purchase is gonna be yours, you will be the one paying and using it. Never let anyone tell you what you need, buy what fits you and feels like the best for your fishing style. Always think about every last detail, where and what electronics, where your gear is gonna go, how to rig the motors and how to use all the space to it's max. Visit more than one dealer with the same products, not only have you had time to think, but you also may get a better perspective.

Good luck.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/3/2007 2:36 PM (#50160 - in reply to #50148)
Subject: RE: New Boat

Well said Gordy,

Any three of those boats will do an unbelievable job, but I highly suggest you try and find someone that owns one and or ask to take a ride in one. Try to get the feeling of what it's like to fish out of them. Like Gordy said, the boat should fit YOUR needs, not what someone else's. Every person is different as to what they like.
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
Posted 1/3/2007 7:10 PM (#50164 - in reply to #50148)

The only words of wisdom that I can pass on that were given to me are "Wrap your a$$ in fiberglass."
Mark Komo
Posted 1/3/2007 8:20 PM (#50168 - in reply to #50148)

For tin, G3 all the way. For glass, skeeter. Followed by Triton. Thats my pecking order.
Jim Ordway
Posted 1/3/2007 11:15 PM (#50174 - in reply to #50148)

I am totally on board with Gordy. Different boats have layouts that handle storage, trollability, front deck casting etc, all differently. Look them all over and ride them before spending that obscene amount of money.
Good luck,
Jim O
Shep
Posted 1/4/2007 8:03 AM (#50177 - in reply to #50174)

I agree with Gordy, too. I would not limit yourself to those 3 boats, but several other manufacturers have similar models that may be a better fit and value for you. I think the dealer you choose is very important. Try to get out in as many boats as you can, to compare ride, handling, features. You can get a pretty good idea of what you like and don't like just from seat time in these boats. If you can wait til soft water to make your decision, that would allow you to get these rides. The dealers should be able to help out. If you have a hard time finding a ride, come back here and post. I'll bet you'll get some help here. Lot's of guys here that will help.

Are you buying used, or new? Some pretty good deals on preowned boats out there.
tjm
Posted 1/4/2007 9:46 AM (#50180 - in reply to #50148)

Price ! Price ! Price ! As Walleye fisherman we are truethfuly getting raked over the coals on the PRICES we are chargrd for walleye boats. Just look at the cost of a walleye boat comparing it to other boats. (sport,speed,cabin) Are we getting what we pay for?
TJM
T-Mac
Posted 1/4/2007 10:24 AM (#50184 - in reply to #50148)

What I like might not be what you like.
sworrall
Posted 1/4/2007 11:37 AM (#50185 - in reply to #50184)

tjm,
Actually, comparing a pleasure boat to a fishing boat doesn't work very well. Motors are about 40% of the cost of the bare rig when talking a 20' walleye boat, and most pleasure boats are not powered by a high horsepower hi-tech V6 outboard. The trailer is about 10% of the deal, and trailers for Walleye boats are usually dressed up quite a bit more than a runabout trailer. The boat and options make up the remainder of the bare package.

Pleasure boats are also not built to the same specs as a Walleye boat. Most are not built to run 60 MPH through 3' seas, don't have the livewells and other labor intensive features, and are not full polyflake finished.

Gross margins on fish boats are lower than the pleasure boat margins for many dealers. Allot depends on market area, but a specialty boat like a Ranger 620 or a fancy Moomba ski rig (http://www.moomba.com/) are going to cost more than a runabout for many reasons, none of which have to do with unfair pricing by anyone.

Factory margins are down considerably of late for many builders because of the HUGE raw material price increases and dealer net pricing getting to the point where builders are reluctant to raise wholesale pricing to absorb increases. Skilled labor costs, insurance, and other overhead items continue to go up as do promotion and advertising costs. As an example, co-op for a boat show can cost a builder $4000.00 for a single show. A dealer can spend $30000 for floor space and costs to attend a show to display 3 or 4 lines of boats.

Advertising costs are skyrocketing. A major fishing publication commands as much as low teens (as in thousands) for a well placed full color, full page advertisement. The brochure you pick up, read and throw away at that show probably cost as much as $2 to $5 to produce.

The reason you see pricing where it is today is simple, that's what it takes for the factory and dealer to stay in business and answer to stockholders. Profit isn't a dirty word, without it everything stops dead.
rev4 man
Posted 1/4/2007 12:26 PM (#50186 - in reply to #50148)

I'd go with the ranger, second would be triton, and never would be the lund
Ranger now
Posted 1/4/2007 3:35 PM (#50195 - in reply to #50186)

I have actually owned all three boats. I am in the 620 right now. The lund was nice for not having the worry of bumping a rock here or there. The triton was a fast boat. The Ranger is the best trolling boat I have ever owned. It is also one of the best rough water boats on the market. If I could I would own two boats and one would be a lund for the small lakes with rocks and trees. The other would be a Ranger for the big water trolling.
Jayman
Posted 1/4/2007 4:01 PM (#50196 - in reply to #50195)

Well Said steve except for this part "Most are not built to run 60 MPH through 3' seas". None of them are built to do that.
just wondering
Posted 1/4/2007 4:30 PM (#50198 - in reply to #50148)

I would agree that ranger is the best boat for big water fishing but one of the boats i heard no one mention is the crestliner was looking at getting one is there anything wrong with them or is there a better choice out there thanks mike c.
stacker
Posted 1/4/2007 5:04 PM (#50201 - in reply to #50198)

I cannot take it any longer, just hafta' ask a question. This is to just wondering. Why do you think a Ranger is the best boat for big water fishing? This is not so I can take any pot shots at you Mike C. I am also just wondering.

To answer your question about crestliner. As the above posts state, boats are more about the individual who will be operating the boat more than who's is better than who. Why are YOU looking at a crestliner?
tyee
Posted 1/4/2007 5:08 PM (#50202 - in reply to #50148)

Here Here Jayman, Although my 18yr old Lund has 2 speeds and has had that since the day I bought it! although not 60mph It does do a solid 47 with a sharp prop. Winnebago is it's primary place of residence, the side walls have flexed enough in 4 footers to mess up the windshield, riders have had to see the chiropractor, It has been driven up on rocks, through the sand, gone through half a dozen props and even been beached in the trees. The Hull is as strong as it was the day I bought it as is the motor. There has never been a single thing done other than some wax and elbow grease. There ARE 3 loose rivets, thats right 3 and a bit of Marine Goop every year keeps me dry!

I love my Lund, I don't hit the BIG waves on Michigan or Erie but have put a many salmon in her in the past. The wood floor has been replaced and new seats added. I am finding it harder and harder to justify selling it and dropping 40k on something that will do the same thing for me for a bit longer, maybe I need to drop a 200opti on it with some 150 stickers, although then I'm pretty sure the hull would only last a year or 2. There are lots of Boats out there and they all have a different purpose.

I recomend you define your NEEDS first then look at your wants, you might find that the places you WANT to fish might not be worth spending all that extra dough! I like Big water fishing but find a guide a couple times a year is cheaper.

Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 1/4/2007 5:12 PM
Walleye Breath
Posted 1/4/2007 5:56 PM (#50205 - in reply to #50148)

I would love to have any of the boats mentioned!! As long as I am on the water. With that being said, I own a Ranger 619 with black motors. I have had it for 4 seasons and have had no problems or complaints. I mainly fish Winnebago and Green Bay. I used to have a skeeter and it was also a very nice boat, but my next boat will be a Ranger.

If you would like a ride get a hold of me, I am usually going 1.1-2.4 mph.
Gordy
Posted 1/4/2007 6:05 PM (#50206 - in reply to #50198)

just wondering - 1/4/2007 4:30 PM

I would agree that ranger is the best boat for big water fishing but one of the boats i heard no one mention is the crestliner was looking at getting one is there anything wrong with them or is there a better choice out there thanks mike c.

The Crestliner is a great boat to fish from, It is still the best boat I have owned to troll from. On the other hand it does'nt run the water like all the glass hulls I have owned. They are no speed demon's and are so big and wide that I just could'nt get mine to run anything like glass. They are however very roomy and a joy to troll from. I guided from it this summer and I could get 3 plus me , all casting.
Would I rank it as good as glass? To fish from sure, to run in, no. If your looking for one I have for sale> Very cheap and in nice shape!
There is nothing wrong with Tin, it's perfect for some guys and others would never run it. It's that personal preference thing again.

Edited by Gordy 1/4/2007 6:09 PM
tomich
Posted 1/4/2007 6:27 PM (#50207 - in reply to #50148)

I have owned 3 Crestliners and loved every one of them. I love the storage, room in the boat, fishing capability and much more. I would recomend them to anyone looking for an excellent alluminum boat, if you are looking for glass, I would have to say Ranger hands down IMO. I am looking forward to running my new Ranger in '07!

See you on the water!
butch
Posted 1/4/2007 7:00 PM (#50209 - in reply to #50207)

y brother is on his second crestliner you want to talk about a bullet proof boat hull. that boat crossed penisula point on bay de noc 2 times in 6 inches of water and never failed to finish a day of fishing either time. My brother is about as hard on equipment as anyone I know and the fact that his crestliner took the abuse he gave and still floated tells me it is one tuff boat. It also has enuff room to hold a dance in it. If I was going to buy a boat I would definatly look at a crestliner.
Posted 1/4/2007 7:24 PM (#50210 - in reply to #50148)

I HAVE OWNED A RANGER AND IF YOU ASK ME THAT IS THE WORST BIG WATER BOAT I HAVE EVER BEEN IN THE BOAT TAKES WAVES OVER THE BOW AND SIDES RIDES LIKE A ROCK SKIPPING ACROSS THE WAVES HAVE A GOOD CHIROPRACTOR FOR YOUR BACK. I HAVE A LUND NOW WITH NO REGRETS. THE BOAT ENTERS THE WATER SMOOTH NOT A HARD SLAP. IT SI ALSO WIDER THEN THE FIBERGLASS BOATS. THERE ARE NO STORAGE COMPARTMENT IN YOUR WAY ON THE SIDES IN THE BACK TO GET INTO YOUR WAY. THE BEST ADVICE THAT I CAN GIVE YOU IS GO FOR A RIDE IN THEM ALL THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/4/2007 11:57 PM (#50216 - in reply to #50148)

Again, it comes down to what you like and your own personal preference! All these boats mentioned above are great boats, and all the owners will verify that. Gordy's post is still by far the best words of wisdom you could take from this thread!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)