Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing Ticks and Habbits.

Message Subject: Fishing Ticks and Habbits.
walleye express
Posted 1/15/2007 10:00 AM (#50570)
Subject: Fishing Ticks and Habbits.

Anybody who's ever fished with me knows I have this phobia of sorts. I'm just to d*mn serious when it comes to fishing. But like it or not, it's part of who I am. My boat is always dirt and mostly dust free. The whole rig (trailer and all) gets cleaned from bow to stern after every trip. Everything has to be done just so and everything in it's place. Most often when asked "Can I give you a hand" at the boat launch, I'll simply say "Yes, please stand over there out of the way until we're ready to shove off".

Now, I don't do this because I don't trust the persons experience, to be a smart azz, show off, or show my own professional prowess. I do it because of a slight but growing case of OCD, and the fact that over the years, I've made just about every mistake launching, retrieving and everything inbewteen one can make. And if I can forgo making them same mistakes again, everybody with me is safer, and has a better, more productive trip. Even though initially, it does do little to create a relaxed atmosphere. And thank God, most of the time the success we have along with the learning/teaching experiences when fishing, brings things back to status quo. So, what are some of your Ticks and habits. And some that you might change if you could?

Edited by walleye express 1/15/2007 10:18 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 1/15/2007 4:24 PM (#50596 - in reply to #50570)
Subject: RE: Fishing Ticks and Habbits.

I'm the same way with my rig, which I catch hell for some days because I launch her myself, load her myself, and tuck everything back in place myself. Why? because then I know it's done, and nothing will be where it doesn't belong later, like the boat on the concrete, the Frabill on the side of the road, etc. Force of habit from the Guiding days.
Jayman
Posted 1/15/2007 4:52 PM (#50598 - in reply to #50570)
Subject: Re: Fishing Ticks and Habbits.

You guys are way too uptight. Some might be self inflicted but I let my friends......park my trailer in other peoples trailers, help break marine band radio handset hangar's, blow up my engine, bust my rods, loose my cranks, track mud in my boat, smush chocalate candy bars into the carpet, let them spill coffee, even burn cigarette holes in the carpet, bust off kicker engines, crack windshields, flasher faceplates popped off, scratch/chip gelcoat on docks........Why? cause they're my friends and like me, they're not perfect.

Yes, I'm anal retentive about my boat, but I try not to sweat the small stuff.
Horshak
Posted 1/15/2007 6:18 PM (#50603 - in reply to #50570)

Hey Jayman, can I borrow your boat? Heheheheheheh!
Afraid to say who
Posted 1/15/2007 10:12 PM (#50611 - in reply to #50570)

3 weeks ago, I got my first scratch in the gelcoat of my 10 year old boat because I let someone else bring in an anchor and I still wake up every night thinking about it. I try not to be to obsessed with my boat, but I can't help it, it still lookes like it just came off the showroom floor. I would never think of letting anyone else launch or land my boat.

I just can't stand the idea that someday, I'm going to have to fork over another $30,000 + for another boat. I'm hoping this one lasts till I'm a little old guy who can no longer afford to troll for Walleyes and has to switch over to Bass fishing.

I still have nightmares about the time my friend took the eye strap off my last fiberglass boat on my roller trailer and then stopped 1/2 way to the water to ask me a question as I watched helplessly as my boat slid off the trailer onto the concrete landing all the while I tried in vain to hold it on the trailer. The sounds of scaping fiberglass is forever etched in my mind. Wait, I think I just had a break through, I now know why I won't let anyone else touch my boat. It's the memory of the bad friend laughing (Insert drunk here) while I way in tears.
Brad B
Posted 1/16/2007 8:29 AM (#50620 - in reply to #50570)

Some friends can be trusted, others need to be told exactly what to do and what not to, still others, told to sit in the corner until further directions are provided....

Brad B
Team Instant Pudding
http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/products/pudding/instant-pudding-an...
GNWC Rookie
Posted 1/16/2007 8:55 AM (#50621 - in reply to #50620)

How about always having to be the guy to net bigger fish. I've lost way to many nice Walleyes due to inexperienced net persons stabbing the net at a Walleye with a crankbait hanging out of it's mouth. Most of the time I would rather give the rod to somebody else and handle the netting duties myself.

Trolling harnesses, I like to be the guy running the boat. While it's nice to have time to actually fish, I always feel 100 times better when I have control over the boat's speed and direction (thank god for the autopilot trolling motor with the co-pilot). When you think about it, it kind of sounds like I might have some control issues
Jim Ordway
Posted 1/16/2007 10:38 AM (#50629 - in reply to #50621)

I am pretty much with you on this one. I have a few good trusted fishing buddies who I trust implicitly and know they will take care of what ever end of the boat they are on. Otherwise, please stand back and I will put you in the boat when I tie it off.
Take care,
Jim O
walleye express
Posted 1/16/2007 11:52 AM (#50634 - in reply to #50629)

I took this guys answer to my Tick and Habbit thread off another board. Me and this guy could be related.

I too Launch and Retrieve my boat by my self.
I net EVERY fish that is brought to the rail on my boat.
I do not consume alcohol, so I always drive both ways.
DO NOT ADJUST ANY ELECTRONICS ON MY BOAT!!! Not even the fm radio
IF YOU CANNOT SWIM, YOU MUST WEAR A pdf WHILE ABOARD MY BOAT

Instructions at dock side:
GET IN
SIT DOWN
SHUT UP
AND HOLD ON

Other than that have fun and lets catch some fish.

Brette F.
Posted 1/16/2007 12:22 PM (#50635 - in reply to #50570)

If I chartered you for a day of walleye fishing on saginaw Bay and you told me to sit down and shut up I would tell you where to stick your charter boat, get my friends and leave. I don't care how big you are. I'm paying good money for a day of fishing and not for some Capt. to treat me and my friends like second hand citizens. I know of another Capt. who has the same philosophy and he has no return clientele. Just my .02. Brette
Humor
Posted 1/16/2007 3:45 PM (#50641 - in reply to #50570)

It's like this, I have a $40,000 boat, a $40,000 truck and a $40,000 house. Where do you think my priorities are?

It's only this time of year I wish for more insulation instead of crankbaits.
walleye express
Posted 1/16/2007 6:47 PM (#50644 - in reply to #50635)

Brette F. - 1/16/2007 1:22 PM

If I chartered you for a day of walleye fishing on saginaw Bay and you told me to sit down and shut up I would tell you where to stick your charter boat, get my friends and leave. I don't care how big you are. I'm paying good money for a day of fishing and not for some Capt. to treat me and my friends like second hand citizens. I know of another Capt. who has the same philosophy and he has no return clientele. Just my .02. Brette

Actually Brette, I'd do the same thing. I've never said that to any client except one, who arrived drunk with his buddies at 8:00 am one fine morning. He didn't like it either, so I kicked them all off the boat. I quit babysiting after the 10th grade.

Edited by walleye express 1/16/2007 6:49 PM
JAKE
Posted 1/16/2007 7:54 PM (#50648 - in reply to #50570)

i've been a client of dan's once before and i'll be one again sometime in the future, if he'll have me and my not-so-firm hookset. and next time ill even rinse my boots before i get in the boat 'cause i've seen dan at work after a
trip.

personally, im not a real neat freak, but i do have a couple of major hang-ups. make sure everything works before i head for the lake. i hate doing work arounds for things that are broken and generly it's not safe either. if i have a problem it's usually opperator error. i also don't subscribe to the old shop rule "there's never enough time to do things right, but there's always enough time to do things over.
Rich S
Posted 1/16/2007 8:05 PM (#50649 - in reply to #50644)

My boat is your boat. The only rule I have is I don't allow competition in the boat (cause I usually lose). I look at it this way, it is a BOAT! Sure it costs a lot of money but I can't enjoy it while worrying about every little thing. I have borrowed my boat to a couple of friends for weekends and tournaments. The only thing I am completely and totally anal about is my winch strap. So help me God if it has a twist in it I will come at you with everything I got. I had a guy last year do that and I could have....STUPID MO.........DUMBA............

Rich S
Team Skin so Soft
http://www.softskin.com/lotionrules/walleye
walleye express
Posted 1/16/2007 8:09 PM (#50650 - in reply to #50648)

JAKE - 1/16/2007 8:54 PM
i've been a client of dan's once before and i'll be one again sometime in the future, if he'll have me and my not-so-firm hookset. and next time ill even rinse my boots before i get in the boat 'cause i've seen dan at work after a
trip.

Thank you Jake.

And don't worry to much about the hook set. I prefer your type over the occassional Marlin Fishermen I get, who not only sets the hook once, but reels down and sets it again.

Edited by walleye express 1/16/2007 8:12 PM
wiah list
Posted 1/16/2007 9:48 PM (#50653 - in reply to #50570)

at about 1 pm in the afternoon on a sat. i pulled into load my boat . another fishing budy pulled up along side with his big sparkly new 21 ft ranger. now i have an 18 and a half foot sea worthy rig all of 1998 . it runs fast takes big water and is a relitivly nice rig. but. he just could keep his mouth shut. we both pulled out and proceded to strap down and pack away gear. when you gonna get a new boat he chuckled... .. then he looked over and saw the mess . two months worth of worm guts . and grime . the side of my white fiberglass stained from the waterline. rod holders sticking in all directons some on floor stained with blood turned brown and some very fresh. .. what the h### . i felt kinda small. and my fishing partner was a well known local with a tone of plywood on his wall at home lotsa respect chimes in. look a## h### . this is a fishing machine . will you were in bed this morning sucking your thumb we went out of port washington. loaded up on some kings and were on bago by ten.pointed at the big white cooler in the back of my truck . opend the well on my boat . not one but two live wells . its now 1 in the afternoon and we are done . open your box he said. ... they guy said he dint have a good day and that the 4 footers out on bago shut down his trolling bite. but had a great day yesterday ... i couldnt help but giggle a bit . my old timer fishing partner had my back again. ill scrub all winter ill go threw my wireing ill replace screws and that boat will shine and work like a charm. but when the ice melts its time to rip lips . i wish i could find the time to keep her just so.. but hey i go to work .. i go fishing and i keep my wife happy somehow too.. the best was the quote i have a 40 grand boat a 40 grand truck and a 40 grand house. i have my priorities. great. now if we could trade the 40 grand house for a 40 grand garage we would be in like a burgler
missing link
Posted 1/17/2007 10:27 AM (#50659 - in reply to #50570)

Rich,

Your url link does not work. FYI
eye Lunker
Posted 1/17/2007 10:43 AM (#50660 - in reply to #50659)

Haha Brad i really didnt get what you and jason said about the instant pudding last nite and until i put 2 and 2 together after reading your post here! Too funny! I guess i get easly distracted you know when you have some cute girls running around the tight orange short on and tiny white shirts wagging there tails! LOL

Edited by eye Lunker 1/17/2007 10:46 AM
Brad B
Posted 1/17/2007 11:29 AM (#50662 - in reply to #50570)

You were there???

Brad B
Team Instant Pudding
http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/products/pudding/instant-pudding-an...
http://www.zebco.com/catalog/youth.html

PS - This new line of rods is just what I've been looking for. I'm a SBOB guy myself, but Rich is more of a "Dora".

eye Lunker
Posted 1/17/2007 11:39 AM (#50663 - in reply to #50662)

Yuppers ! eye lunker=ritch shelley
Brad B
Posted 1/17/2007 11:46 AM (#50664 - in reply to #50570)

I know... Picking on Ritch Shelley and Rich S in the same post = bad idea! Hahaha

Edited by Brad B 1/17/2007 11:48 AM
Rich S
Posted 1/23/2007 9:44 PM (#50841 - in reply to #50659)

missing link - 1/17/2007 10:27 AM

Rich,

Your url link does not work. FYI

Thanks for the heads up. It was a typo, try this one:

Team Jager Bomb
http://www.fullyloaded.com/hungover/sleeping-in/walleye
Rich S
Posted 1/23/2007 9:51 PM (#50843 - in reply to #50664)

Brad B - 1/17/2007 11:46 AM

I know... Picking on Ritch Shelley and Rich S in the same post = bad idea! Hahaha

Back pack, back pack, I am the bag thats loaded up with things and nick-nacks too. Anything that you might need I have inside for you:)

I know you know that one but can you guess what this is from??

When ther is trouble you know who to call...From their tower they can see it all..They got the bad guys on the run..They are not going to stop until the job gets done..
Jayman
Posted 1/24/2007 9:04 AM (#50855 - in reply to #50570)

Hey Rich, How 'bout getting back to the reports?

Team Lazyboy Recliner
Http://www.Lazyboy.com/trophywalleye/livingroomfishing.getthenet
Rich S
Posted 1/24/2007 9:31 AM (#50858 - in reply to #50855)

You must not be reading my reports in the recycle bin. I have put a couple in there. As for a more current report, I will get back to you after next week. I am taking my wife on a 7 day cruise and believe me, I will be taking my leadcore. I will let you know how we do. I just hope 2000 colors of lead will be enough:)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)