Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release

Message Subject: VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 9:52 AM (#75569 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: Re: AIM Announced 2009 Tournament Format

Mods?
I think not.
We welcome any reasonable input at all from anyone, male or female.
As far as I know one's gender doesn't effect one's success on the water.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich S
Posted 12/8/2008 10:05 AM (#75571 - in reply to #75459)

Geez, winter blues are going strong this year! I think Juls has some very valid points on this. Hopefully they fill the gaps shortly. So far, I see lots of openings for problems but I also have complete faith in these guy's ability to run a top-notch circuit.
stacker
Posted 12/8/2008 12:48 PM (#75579 - in reply to #75459)

Thanks for the advice Tyee on waiting to see, But, I dont remember asking for your advise when I made a post. I mearly made a comment regarding what AIM had released. AND, It is a very valid point.

As I stated, there will be many others with areas of this release that they see that may be of question, and Juls hit one right on the head. That was, they need to release the rule book in which everyone will play. Thats all. Not the nuts and bolts of weigh ins and such, thats not our business. Just our rules regarding how we will WIN THE EVENT!!. NOW, if you are one of those guys who decides to say, "You are not even fishing so why do you want to know so bad?". BECAUSE, with no fans, there is no reason for anyone to sponsor this circuit.

Have a great day!!
Pictures??
Posted 12/8/2008 1:13 PM (#75580 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: RE: AIM Announced 2009 Tournament Format

Hope they never come to Erie in April.How do you guess the weight of a 30 inch prespawn against a 30 inch post spawn? Both fish can be 30 inches but the post spawn fish will be 2-4 lbs lighter in weight. Lets see how it rolls.Good luck AIM.
Walleye1
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 1:17 PM (#75581 - in reply to #75459)

The rules and regulations will be released when the registration/entry forms are released and pros/cos can begin registering to fish an AIM event, which makes perfect sense. Expect that to happen January 3rd from what I've been told.

The fans will be there, Stacker. IMO this group is going to do much of what you've asked for to entertain and draw in new fans and grow the sport, and alot more. Emphasis on ALOT.

AIM joined the NPAA as a supporting partner. The press release is here:
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/12.08.2008/1773/NPAA.Anno...

Note the logo page: http://www.npaa.net/sponsors.asp
FLW and MWC are supporting partners

A meeting of AIM investors is scheduled for January 2nd, 2009, and the details requested in this thread and eleswhere are to be released in a press release January 3rd. The AIM meeting in no way will conflict with any scheduled NPAA event.

Hope this helps.

tyee
Posted 12/8/2008 1:21 PM (#75582 - in reply to #75579)

Denny,

It wasn't my intention to offer you any advice! I know better. Sorry if you looked at it that way! Purely stating what I thought was the obvious. I suppose it's not that much different than congress getting out info to the auto companies in a timely manner ya think? I don't work for them or play in their game so why should it concern me, I have no control over it! I am not participating either and I would never question anyones need to gain knowledge. Just the manner in which they go about it! Tells alot about a person huh?

I don't think many "fans" give a rats tail about the "rule book". I'd think most "fans" have little knowledge of the inner workings of tournament directors and their sport! As for the rule book, I supose there are others that are on the bubble that may want to participate and I am sure it will come in due time don't ya think!

Boy it's gonna be a long winter!
Good Luck
Tyee
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 1:30 PM (#75583 - in reply to #75459)

As s side note;
Explain the difference in 'excitement level' between missing first place by 1/16th of an inch ( or whatever it is) and 1/100th of a pound?

I don't know the system yet, but AIM assured me they know the fans need an exciting and vibrant weigh in experience. All I can do at this point is trust that the group, who have been fishing professionally for a very long time in every major circuit out there, knows what's needed and will get it done.
stacker
Posted 12/8/2008 1:40 PM (#75584 - in reply to #75583)

come on tyee, i know plenty of race track rats, football fans, baseball, golf, snowcross, wakeboarding,etc...fans, they all know the rules inside and out. Dont stop believing for 1 min that fishing cannot get the same draw.
KTurner UL
Posted 12/8/2008 3:14 PM (#75586 - in reply to #75580)

Tell me how it took more talent to catch the pre-spawn female from the post spawn? I'd love to learn your technique......

It's about time some circuit has the intestinal fortitude to challenge the status quo. Obviously the status quo has walleye tournament angling headed to the toilet....

Leveling of the playing field. What a novel concept..... Now if they can come up with a way to inject integrity and send cheaters to the bottom of the lake.......
Rich S
Posted 12/8/2008 3:56 PM (#75587 - in reply to #75459)

Just thinking outside the box but this could open up realtime weights which I would think the fans would LOVE!! I have to believe this is in the mix.

Guest, there would be no weight difference between pre-spawn and post-spawn, the fish would calculate the same. I wonder if they will adjust the weight/length ratio to different locations??
tyee
Posted 12/8/2008 6:12 PM (#75593 - in reply to #75459)

OK Denny I concede I am not as intelligent as you, but do me a favor and let me know when there is a circuit with the fortitude to be the best that climbs to the top of the pile and every fan knows every rule OK.

I am a fan of many sports but not an expert of ANY although I do know who Bret Favre is and what a first down is and that the Highest score wins in his sport. and that in Golf, Tiger is a great player sponsored by Nike and that the lowest score wins, but couldn't and wouldn't want to know all the ins and outs of either game! Hell EVERYONE knew who sponsored Mark Martin but the points race...haven't a clue..........

Maybe I'm not as smart as you or as compulsively loyal to the sports, worthy enough to be called a fan? But I can tell you I own some Nike shoes and some Wrangler cloths and HAVE bought a car at Bergstrom!

AIM is doing the right thing by putting the resource FIRST! That alone will bring fans! There are plenty of sponsors with Millions of dollars to spend on Marketing, you just have to convince them that your business model will generate impressions!

Good Luck to You
Tyee

Edited by tyee 12/8/2008 6:17 PM
Shep
Posted 12/9/2008 9:02 AM (#75610 - in reply to #75593)

Fishing will never have the draw of the major sports. Hell, it won't even draw as many fans as soccer. Why? It's like watching paint dry for most people. Until some circuit comes up with a way to shorten the length of the tourneys/weigh ins to about 3 hours or less. They will need some on-the-water, live video to make it exciting. This would be a huge undertaking, but one I think will be necesasary to advance to the next level.

A couple comments here. This is a circuit for the Pro's. It's all about the Pro's and it's all about money. The fact that the Amatuers don't compete reveals this. A drawing for prizes, and a drawing for day three for 10 of them proves that this is all about money and the Pro's. Not saying that is a bad thing, just different, is all. And different is needed. I guess when I hear a Pro tell an Am to "get in, sit down, and shut up", well, now my advice would be to do exactly that.

I hope AIM is working hard to seek out non endemic sponsorship. The fishing industry only has a limited amount of money to spend. That is what makes the FLW so successful. Not the format, but the money from outside the fishing industry they bring to the table. Heck, I'm a little guy, and I had two sponsors unrelated to the industry. If I can do it, I know a Tommy Skarlis, a Tom Keenan, a Pete Harsh, and many others out there can bring this outside money in.

I don't think putting the resource first has anything to do with bringing in fans. I don't think the people that complained about a few dead fish were ever going to be fans.

And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait.

And accusing WF of being a partner, or having some stake in all this. They just cover the news, and they do that very well. Best on the net, IMO, by a long shot. Having more than one circuit to cover is a good thing for them, and a good thing for us. Ya think?

stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 9:27 AM (#75613 - in reply to #75610)

Tyee, or Rod since we are on first name basis. Its not about me being smarter or you being smarter, its about what you, as a fan, choose to believe to be the most important part of tournament walleye fishing. And, of course, what I believe it to be. And, of course, what every fan believes it to be. Everyone has the part that they like the most. Can they have that with out having to get your side crammed down there throat as the best side and the only way for anyone to look at anything?

As far as dead fish go, I think that the number of people against it is so minimal its like the USA saying we cannot say the pledge of alegiance or pray in school, we are codaling(sp) the very very few. The mass majority wants it. And frankly, understand that death is part of the whole gig.

Shep, you are right. At the curent time, soccer probably out ranks the fishing fans. But, that can change. If the players get even with soccer I think they will be pleased. It will take some doing. You mentioned large names that should be able to get non-endemic sponsors. When it comes to that end of marketing, you being in sales like Rod and myself, do you think that these guys should be represented by a firm as other pro sports figures or just keep doing it for themselfs?
SilverandGold
Posted 12/9/2008 10:04 AM (#75619 - in reply to #75459)

"And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait. "

Amen,. Shep
Shep
Posted 12/9/2008 11:43 AM (#75623 - in reply to #75619)

I think agents are in the future for some/most of the big guys. If I were a touring Pro, I would already have an agent, and I would have him/her/them chasing every opportunity possible. I'd be willing to bet the big money is going to be made not from the tourney's themselves, but from the sponsorship dollars. And the first guys that realize this, and start chasing the real money, are going to be the ones who succeed sooner.

Lots of things can be done that just are not being done right now. You local race tracks have driver's that have their own bio cards, called Race cards. They'll have a picture of the driver and his car on the front, and bio's and stats on the back. I talked to Dave Olson of Speed Graphics, AKA Big O on MuskieFirst, about this a couple years ago. There was absolutely not interest from the two or three touring Pro's I approached about it, thus no interest from Dave. But a guy like that can make some really nice promotional Angler Cards that the Pro's could give out at the weigh in, at the launch, during local promotional appearnaces. I don't understand why any of those guys would not see the value in these cards. Closed minds is my guess. Unable to think outside the box? Name recognition needs to go beyond the internet boards. What better way to start out than with some self promotion. 1000 5X7 cards is about $300, 5000 is only about $550. I can see all the hot dogs at their tow vehicles, signing these cards, and handing them out to the kids and fans during/after the weigh ins.

Maybe a bit off the subject for this thread about the AIM format, but this is where we were lead.

Here is a smple of one of my racing buddies.
http://www.speedgraphicscompany.com/hollywood_2.gif

Edited by Shep 12/9/2008 11:44 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(hollywood_2.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hollywood_2.gif (157KB - 98 downloads)
stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 12:05 PM (#75626 - in reply to #75619)

SilverandGold - 12/9/2008 10:04 AM

"And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait. "

Amen,. Shep

I would agree whole heartedly with this statement if, and only if, they were not looking for sponsors to help foot the bill. I would agree with this if they were not looking for co's and pro's. I would agree to this if it was a private afair and were not going to be marketing it to the walleye world. HOWEVER, they are not doing it as a private affair, or it does not appear that they want this circuit in seclusion. Thus, we the fans may ask more questions to help understand there way of thinking, it has nothing to do with someone who gots there feelings hurt. It looks like SHHHHHH, dont say anything is the way some would like it to happen. That is fine if you want the rewards that come with a quiet progression. Again, no one is bashing, we are asking questions. If you do not have an answer, there is no reason for you to decide who ever asked a question or made a statement is a weenie and should shut up. That makes it sound like you are bashing them for asking.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 12:19 PM (#75628 - in reply to #75459)

Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant.

Plus, the unfunded mandate left the DNR $90,000.00 in the red on the activity; guess where that money now has to come from?

AIM announced they are in meeting on the final details with the members Jan. 2nd, and releasing all details Jan. 3rd.
Rich S
Posted 12/9/2008 12:24 PM (#75629 - in reply to #75459)

Shep, I went to Tim Minnema's seminar after he won AOY for the FLW. He had brought cards (like the one you mentioned) of him along and I thought it was cool.

At the MWC championship a few years ago there was a kid at the weigh-in. He had the directory with the pictures and short write up's on all the contestants. After we weighed-in he got eveyone's autograph. It was very cool. The best part is that soon, that kid will turn into a money spending, tv show watching, addicted to fishing adult if you know what I mean.
stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 12:45 PM (#75631 - in reply to #75628)

sworrall - 12/9/2008 12:19 PM

Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant.

Plus, the unfunded mandate left the DNR $90,000.00 in the red on the activity; guess where that money now has to come from?

AIM announced they are in meeting on the final details with the members Jan. 2nd, and releasing all details Jan. 3rd.

Thats a great subject Steve. It was said many moons ago on this board that the bass guys asked for a study to condone culling. Because of that, they then had to do a study and blah blah blah it cost 90K to the dnr. At no time did I ever hear that there was a group that pushed for tourny regs that would stopped the killing of whales, err ahh fish in the process. After the bass thing, then it was suggested that tourney regs be put in place, but yet still did not hear that it was focused on by a group to have the number one request be that we stop killing fish. Was i sleping on that one?

sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 1:22 PM (#75632 - in reply to #75459)

It was an unfunded mandate by the legislature to the WIDNR, driven by special interest groups, yes.
brad b unlogged
Posted 12/9/2008 4:29 PM (#75633 - in reply to #75459)

"Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant."

This was most definitely a direct result of the WI State Bass Federation effort to open bass tournaments to culling. They opened the door to a pilot program and the DNR took that and ran with it. DNR had their own bill put on hold several times for lack of support - when they had the opportunity to combine their long term goal with the short sightedness of a handful of bass anglers, you get the piece of legislation currently getting rolled out.

In fairness to the bass guys, the recent drafted rules on tournaments would have gotten introduced sooner or later anyway - there are simply too many people out there today that have NO problem telling others how to live. So we get laws that tell us if we can stored boats in our driveways, laws that forbid teens from using tanning beds, and laws that require special permits to fishing.

Yes, its been a long day.
Jack
Posted 12/9/2008 8:37 PM (#75635 - in reply to #75459)

I agree with you thumper, what about the Co's that also are there to compete and not go along for just the ride and get a randomly drawn prize. These guys are competing for the cash also. It should be no different. The top ten should be in the finals. Don't think these Co's are not going to fish hard. It does not sound to impressive of whats being said so far. I would think it would be like having the Co's in a tournament within a tournament. They also come along way to compete, spend money. I hope it starts off on the right path and not get some bad publicity. I hope they don't forget about the CO'S.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 11:28 PM (#75636 - in reply to #75459)

At this point we don't know what the prizes for the Co Anglers will be or how many there will be, correct?
Mark Komo
Posted 12/10/2008 12:15 AM (#75637 - in reply to #75459)

Isnt staying power part of the issue. Brett Farve and Tiger usually at the top of the game. A lot of the top anglers change from year to year and that, I guess, is too be expected. So, its kinda tough to develop a following, I would imagine. Sure there are fan favorites, and those are the folks that need to out front.

Like the card idea. My 7 yo got one from nate provost when we seen him and ruffolo at the Milwaukee show (part of Mid States Marine booth). This was awhile back. Its still tacked to his board. "Captn Nate and Big G3" as he says. Thats a nice touch, and wonder why more pros dont take advantage of this. When I was in Bay De Noc, i got a lot autographs on a hat and gave it to him. He loved it.

Still, curious as to how this all shakes out for AIM. Wishin em the best of luck.

sworrall
Posted 12/10/2008 10:33 AM (#75642 - in reply to #75459)

I am on my way to shoot an interview with Keith Kavajecz, and should have that posted later today. This should provide an opportunity to have some FAQ's answered.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)