Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Trim tabs

Message Subject: Trim tabs
Jeff
Posted 10/1/2008 11:07 AM (#73937)
Subject: Trim tabs

Anyone use a Nauticus trim tabs on the 1890? My '07 is very trim and weight distribution sensitive. It also wants to lean/roll side to side when quartering waves. Some days it's down right disappointing and frustrating to the point of dumping it for another rig. Would the trim tabs improve my issues?

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 10/1/2008 11:38 AM (#73938 - in reply to #73937)
Subject: RE: Trim tabs

Call 1-800-359-4416 ask for Steve to get the issue taken care of, Tuffy will take good care of you.
Jeff
Posted 10/1/2008 7:55 PM (#73946 - in reply to #73937)

Talked to Steve today and he said that the hull needs to be wedged and that they'll take care of it. Of course as he was talking I was like...uh huh...great...appreciate that...I'll bring it down this fall to get fixed. My 1890 is probably the last one out there to be fixed he said. Cool. Well...when I hung up the thought occured to me....what did he mean by "wedge" the hull? Can someone explain? Just curious on what'll happen.

Jeff
KHedquist
Posted 10/2/2008 5:25 AM (#73948 - in reply to #73937)

Yes get it in to TUFFY, it takes out those issues, they made that change to the production units now I believe.

I had it done and it makes huge difference.
sworrall
Posted 10/2/2008 10:09 AM (#73952 - in reply to #73937)
Subject: Re: Trim tabs

TJ and Moreyes are correct, Tuffy made the changes in the tooling immediately after detecting the load/balance issue with certain engines and propping on the first couple 1890 Models. The work done is really not very complicated, and doesn't 'invade' the original hull. The trim wedges are added to the center lift strakes and add a planing surface that corrects any porpoise or other misbehavior. You will not be able to tell the work was done even if you are looking right at it, and the correction is permanent and becomes part of the hull itself. Moreyes is right, once Tuffy gets that done for you it'll feel like a totally different rig.
KHedquist
Posted 10/2/2008 1:37 PM (#73956 - in reply to #73937)

They did a awsome job, it looks origianal when done.
Randy
Posted 2/24/2009 9:37 AM (#77984 - in reply to #73937)

I own a '06 1890 and have had issues with weight and porpoise problems since I ordered it. Even took it to my dealer and had them put the kicker on the other side to try to balance the weight...still having problems. Then by chance I find this same subject...

I have talked to my dealer since reading this tread (2-17-09) and he has assured me that this will be corrected, either at Tuffy or in his shop by someone from Tuffy. I am sill waiting for a date...

I was on the verge of selling this boat because of this "frustrating" problem. My family (wife and two young boys) hate to go fishing in the blasted boat because of the porpoise issues.... (And, yes I adjust the trim all the time!)

I have TWO questions ------
1. Why didn't anyone from TUFFY or my DEALER notify me once the problem was known?????? I mean, I spent $45k plus on this boat....this really gets my blood pressure going, ya know??????
2. Do I need to deal with Steve at Tuffy directly?

RJW

TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/24/2009 10:13 AM (#77987 - in reply to #77984)

You can call Fiberdome direct at 1.800.359.4416 or you can call Steve Worrall at his office 715.362.1760. Both contacts will be able to answer any questions you have. Your dealer should have been aware of the problems, however, I assure you, Tuffy will take care of you.
sworrall
Posted 2/24/2009 1:39 PM (#77998 - in reply to #73937)

Not all 1890 Models had a problem, I haven't had a call yet from your dealer so to get your boat corrected it's best to call the 800 number and talk with either Steve Bendall or me, and we'll get your rig scheduled in.
Randy
Posted 2/25/2009 9:16 AM (#78032 - in reply to #73937)

Don't get me wrong guys, I am pretty happy with my boat except for the before mentioned issues.

In fact the guys at the Fiberdome did a great job. My boat looks AWESOME; I get questions about it everywhere, from the lot at FleetFarm, to one guy going all the way across the lake in Canada to ask me about it... (I will have to post pics once I become a member....) Trust me, it is a very attractive looking boat, and it is good out on the BIG Lake too....

But, the problems with it wanting to "jump" out of the water has made my family not want to go fishing in it, my 6yr old would rather fish from the dock. I really hope that I can get this cured. I really don't care about the top end speed; just want something that my family likes to get out in...

I am not really happy with my dealer about this, and some other things. I will inform the right people about my issues with my dealer, one-on-one. Not here on a public site.

RJW
lambeau
Posted 2/25/2009 10:24 AM (#78038 - in reply to #78032)

I will inform the right people about my issues with my dealer, one-on-one. Not here on a public site.

that's a great perspective and approach Randy.
it's unfortunate that you weren't contacted directly by your dealer as soon as this became a known issue. the good news is that you've got the solution now.

i ran one of the early 1890s as well, and experienced the "hop" issues you describe at certain speeds, especially when riding with 3 people (more weight in the back).

a visit to the factory in Lake Mills (with a quick 2-day turnaround) was all it took for the slight modification and it leveled everything out nicely. there's plenty of time for that to be the case for you before open-water so you can get the family back out there enjoying the boat the way it was intended!

keep us posted on how it runs for you after you get it done. i'm sure you'll be back in love with your boat again.
KHedquist
Posted 2/25/2009 3:52 PM (#78052 - in reply to #78038)

Randy, the wedges make a wold of difference on the way the boat handles, it is darn near impossible to get it to bounce after the wedges and load doesn't effect it either, and when they are done it looks like they have always been there.

According to Steve these changes have been done to the molds.
Jeff
Posted 3/3/2009 11:04 PM (#78307 - in reply to #73937)

Just an update since I started this thread.

I finally got a weekend free from snow storms and things to do so I ran the 1890 down to Tuffy for the wedge work the beginning of February. It was done within that week. Which was impressive cause I had a bunch of other stuff done to it at the same time. I'm really excited about getting her back in the water to see how she runs!

Jeff
Randy
Posted 6/18/2009 9:12 AM (#82510 - in reply to #73937)

New User

Finally got the time to take my boat down to Lake Mills to have the hull wedged. I did not want to miss all the great spring fishing... now that there is a slow down in the action, I took 1/2 days vacation and made the 2.5 hour drive. Will pick it up on Saturday the 20th. I had a really bad time with the porpoise issue when I took a Friend and his dad out on GB on the 13th. I guess the weight of three adult men was just to much. We will see what happens...

Randy
KHedquist
Posted 6/18/2009 10:09 AM (#82515 - in reply to #73937)

Should notice a difference, I had my wife 2 boys, dog and me, no porpise issue, like any boat you still need to trim to the conditions and speed.
Cast-n-blast
Posted 6/24/2009 6:47 AM (#82659 - in reply to #78032)

Has anyone noticed similar issues with the 1760's? My 06' 1760 seems to want to list to the left when quartering waves on the right. Trim sensitive, but not really overly so. Makes is easy to operate the trim without having to tweak it a bunch. I know what you mean about the jumping and porpose. Kind of wild at times. Could the 1760 benefit from being wedged? If so, how do I go about getting this done? Might make the ride a bit more consistent? Happy with the boat otherwise. This site has been more helpful than my dealer who never seems to return phone calls and doesn't have the answers anyhow...
Steve Fellegy
Posted 6/24/2009 9:30 AM (#82663 - in reply to #73937)

Maybe just me--I purposely make my boats list to the DOWN WIND side of the boat when I'm quartering waves or running at right angles to them. With the up wind side higher, I stay drier. So I move all coolers and bodies to the DOWN WIND side so the boat lists away from the waves.
Cast-n-blast
Posted 6/24/2009 12:55 PM (#82669 - in reply to #82663)

Steve, I guess now that I think about it, I must do the same as far as keeping one side of the boat to the downwind side, which obviously explains the listing.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)