Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away

Message Subject: Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away
sworrall
Posted 11/5/2008 11:47 PM (#74584)
Subject: Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bowman/2008/10/portincaso_dies.html

He'll be missed. Tony encouraged me to sell boats back in 1976, and we worked together for a few years at Glasway, Inc, then builder of Tuffy Boats. He was a fishing buddy of my Dad's, a family friend, and an exceptional angler. He was also Zach's math instructor in high School, and was a strong influence on him, as well.

He was a Fishing Facts author, fishing educator, and was involved with the Rosemont show when it was the best out there.

Without Tony's direct influence, I would not be typing this right now.

Godspeed, my friend.
-----
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sunshine
Posted 11/6/2008 6:00 AM (#74586 - in reply to #74584)
Subject: Re: Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away

WOW,

A real shocker. Tony was always friendly, reachable and had a smile on his face. As indicated, he was an exceptional educator.

Anyone who has used a jig for muskie fishing, especially a reaper can thank Tony for being one of the original pioneers.
Fishing Fanatics
Posted 11/6/2008 8:34 AM (#74590 - in reply to #74586)

Very sad news indeed.

Tony along with Spence Petros and Carl Malz were some of the most important fishing educators of our generation. Not glitzy TV types, but true grassroots teachers.

I'm sure glad he made the choice to share his knowledge with all of us.

God speed Tony P.
otwadoug
Posted 11/6/2008 8:23 PM (#74607 - in reply to #74584)
Subject: RE: Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away

I read every article I could about creature fishing that Tony and Spence wrote. No fish yellow on Pewaukee ( not true, caught plenty on that yellow fliptail). Those articles are as good to read today as 30, or maybe 35 years ago.
How many people remember the TP boats? I still see one once in a while.
Tony rest in peace, say hi to the rest.
Doug
sworrall
Posted 11/7/2008 7:44 AM (#74609 - in reply to #74584)

Tony used to fish quite a bit with Jim Cairnes and my Dad, those two were where the Creature type jigs and plastics originated. I actually did the Fliptail Creatures, working with the Stembridge family when they owned the company. Lots of history in the group , that's for sure. Larry Latino and Tony took my Dad's stand-up jig, and modified the concept into what became the Power Head, Mar Lynn had that one for a time. The Tony boat was around for a few years, and was based on the Tuffy 160 hull, he did nice things to the interior.
otwadoug
Posted 11/7/2008 9:54 PM (#74639 - in reply to #74609)

Steve,
I had the opportunity to fish with Jim a couple of times. He was always very intense. I never saw anybody watch his line as hard when jig and creature fishing. He knew exactly when it was supposed to touchdown and when it didn't he lid into them. He was still fishing with Lew's Speed Sticks and Mitchell 300 high speed. He had some great stories.
Doug
Capt. Marty
Posted 11/8/2008 6:42 AM (#74641 - in reply to #74584)
Subject: RE: Fishing Educator Tony Portincaso Passes away

Indeed a great Fishing Educator, remember meeting Tony many years ago after evening of the Chicago O'hare Sport Show. An Italian restaurant, home-made pizza and a round table of Tony, Spence, Al Lindner, Bucher and a bunch more....
Lot's of stories, laughing and learning lots about our fishing industry.
Yes Tony you will be missed, may God Bless and our Blessings to your family.
Lot's of calm waters and great fishing.
"When in the Lord's great Landing Net and peacefully asleep, that in His mercy I be judged big enough to keep."

Marty and Becky
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)