Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> trolling motor for 1760 GC...

Message Subject: trolling motor for 1760 GC...
iceman35
Posted 12/7/2008 6:43 PM (#75547)
Subject: trolling motor for 1760 GC...

got the boat now I gotta get a trolling motor... need some suggestions... want to order quick before prices go up...
52" maxxum or a 54" terranova... will the elerctric drive hold up against the bottom impact every once in a while, how about hogging through weeds... had a lotta good luck with the maxxum but see alot of you guys got these electric drives... any comments will be great! thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/7/2008 7:28 PM (#75548 - in reply to #75547)
Subject: RE: trolling motor for 1760 GC...

Don't worry about a price increase!
I have a Maxxum that was installed this summer on my Tuffy. Twice I told the dealer what motor I wanted on the boat (42") twice he stuck the wrong one on.
I can measure to let you know for sure but it is either a 52" or 60" and is deffinatly coming off this winter. It's a 24 volt and was ran less then one hour total.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/7/2008 7:36 PM (#75550 - in reply to #75548)
Subject: Re: trolling motor for 1760 GC...

Either one of the motors will work fine for that boat. However, I'd suggest the Terrova. With the capability of using it like a Maxxum and or like a Powerdrive, I'd definitely go that route. I've used my buddies Terrova a few times and really liked it. If I were in the market for a new one, I'd definitely be taking a strong interests in it.

I've been running a Motorguide Wireless and have been extremely happy with this unit. I love how slim the pedal is, probably why I like it so well. I came from a Maxxum so maybe I remember how standing in 2 footers all day with a Maxxum pedal that propped my foot up an extra foot took a toll after a solid day fishing. The Motorguide wireless pad is so nice in that respect. The motor has been absolutely bulletproof for me.
KHedquist
Posted 12/8/2008 5:57 AM (#75559 - in reply to #75547)

http://www.jollyannsales.com/

Iceman check here for prices Wade is pretty decent.

I have a Terrova and I am very happy, if you fishi any rough water to scrimp on the shaft length, I have 60" on my 1890.

I am happy with my Terrova, very durable
Shep
Posted 12/8/2008 9:48 AM (#75568 - in reply to #75559)

Terrova, hands down. 80 lb is more than enough, and will provide maximum run time. Get the Universal sonar and the Autopilot. I would suggest the 60" if you willl be in any kind of waves with it. If mostly calm waters, you can get by with the shorter model, 52" I think. If you get into more than 2 footers, the 52 will have some prop blow out.
Slamr
Posted 12/10/2008 10:18 AM (#75641 - in reply to #75547)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=00364...
CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=motor+guide+wireless&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcab
D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
3&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I've used the 75lb Motor Guide wireless for 2 years on my 1760 GC without a single issue. With a 24v set up I get a day and a half before needing a recharge and it can push the boat against all but the toughest winds. Just stay away from the 'weedless prop', OY!

The wireless foot pad is awesome for what I use it for....can be moved easily, responds fast enough, hasnt needed even new batteries, runs the boat as well from the back as it does from 12" from the unit up front. It's also nice to be able to stow it in a compartment between trips or when trailering.

Slamr
GNWC Rookie
Posted 12/10/2008 12:20 PM (#75648 - in reply to #75641)

I'll second the motorguide wireless. It all depends on the type of fishing you do. If I primarily trolled harnesses like a lot of folks here in WI do, I'd probably go with a Terrova or an Autopilot. I fish the Mississippi a lot so I spend a lot of time on my trolling motor. I love the wireless Motorguide because I can run it from the back of my boat (with my foot) and I don't have to slide a bar up and down to control speed, there is a + and - button for incremental speed.

I spend a lot of time running & gunning on wing dams during summer and it's easier for me to run the trolling motor from the back of the boat and keep the bow upstream against the current. This lets me slide up and down the face of the dam without re-anchoring 50 times a day. This also keeps me closer to the dam without having to worry about anybodies line getting caught in the trolling motor prop (I fish with some dandies).

I would also suggest as long of a shaft as you can put on. You can always lift it up, but you'll be sorry if you don't have enough.
iceman35
Posted 12/11/2008 7:35 AM (#75655 - in reply to #75547)

well, all great info... You guys seem to get the electric drives for trolling and dragging presentations... not a concern for me... Also had a 60" shaft on boatzilla, got in the way more than not... I'm going with the 52" maxxum right now... lift assist and US...
If I ever expand my fishing for trolling and dragging, I'll add a transom motor... plug in the back right?
Thanks again for the info...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/11/2008 8:59 AM (#75657 - in reply to #75655)

Yes, there is a plug in the back. It's all wired and ready to go.
iceman35
Posted 12/11/2008 12:41 PM (#75662 - in reply to #75547)

very coool, now if steve ever gets back to me...
iceman35
Posted 12/28/2008 9:10 AM (#76024 - in reply to #75547)

just ordered the maxxum pro, 80# with lift assist and US2... this am from cabelas... free shipping, $20 gift card and motor was $200 off... merry xmas to me...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)