Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Off my dock

Message Subject: Off my dock
Rich S
Posted 5/17/2010 5:39 PM (#91125)
Subject: Off my dock

Unreal seeing this right on shore. Some of these were over 150lbs. It has been going on for hours. The kids were in awe.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN0786.jpg)

(a.jpg)

(b.jpg)

(C.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0786.jpg (53KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments a.jpg (78KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments b.jpg (48KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments C.jpg (120KB - 112 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viking -UL
Posted 5/17/2010 8:42 PM (#91138 - in reply to #91125)
Subject: RE: Off my dock

Cool pics! Are they spawning? Do they spawn that much later on the Fox?
Rich S
Posted 5/17/2010 8:59 PM (#91139 - in reply to #91125)
Subject: Re: Off my dock

Yes, they were spawning. I have no idea why they are here so late. Hopefully someone has a clue about this. There were literally hundreds of them. They were still thrashing around just before dark. There are a few MONSTERS mixed in with them.
Rob T
Posted 5/18/2010 7:41 AM (#91149 - in reply to #91125)
Subject: RE: Off my dock

I think the fish around your house are a bit slower. They did not get the memo on when to frolic.
Viking
Posted 5/18/2010 8:01 AM (#91150 - in reply to #91139)

From the WI DNR:

In many years we also will see a "second run" at several of the main sites, typically a small number of females that need higher a temperature to induce their ovulation, that spawn about a week or two after the main spawning event.

Maybe this is the "second run" to which they refer?

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/or/2010/or100415.htm#northeast

K Gonefishin
Posted 5/18/2010 10:49 AM (#91158 - in reply to #91125)

WOW that's awesome, cool pics. I bet that had to be a site. I've never seen one but would like to one day, heck I'd like to fish for them one time or another in my life. I know a guy who caught one perching on Erie though.
Rich S
Posted 5/18/2010 11:24 AM (#91164 - in reply to #91150)

Viking - 5/18/2010 8:01 AM

From the WI DNR:

In many years we also will see a "second run" at several of the main sites, typically a small number of females that need higher a temperature to induce their ovulation, that spawn about a week or two after the main spawning event.

Maybe this is the "second run" to which they refer?

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/or/2010/or100415.htm#northeast

Hopefully Kendall comes to the Terry's weigh-in so I can talk to him about it. I really just want to know if it is typical for them to show up in that area.
Sunshine
Posted 5/18/2010 11:30 AM (#91165 - in reply to #91164)

Am I the only one that feels very uneasy seeing the words ovulation and Rich in the same sentence?
Rich S
Posted 5/18/2010 11:42 AM (#91166 - in reply to #91165)

Sunshine - 5/18/2010 11:30 AM

Am I the only one that feels very uneasy seeing the words ovulation and Rich in the same sentence?

It is a good things my kids were around or who knows what could have happened.
Rich S
Posted 5/18/2010 11:49 AM (#91168 - in reply to #91166)

I just got this:

Dear Winnebago Lake Sturgeon Enthusiasts,

The lake sturgeon spawning run is pretty much complete for 2010 on the Wolf and upper Fox Rivers, although we still may see a few fish spawning yet in the "2nd" or "3rd" runs. Nearly every year cool or cold weather interrupts the main spawning run which causes some female sturgeon to hold off and spawn sometimes 2 weeks to a month after the main run is over. Each female sturgeon is on her own biological clock for ovulation with some fish spawning at lower temperatures (or at an lower number of thermal units), most spawning at a mid-range (or optimum) temperature or number of thermal units, and a few spawning at higher temperatures or higher number of thermal units. A daily thermal unit is the average water temperature (F) for a day minus 32. By adding the thermal units each day after ice out on the river, we can somewhat predict when sturgeon may begin spawning. Females, once they begin to ovulate, complete spawning within 12 hours or so and move back downstream to the lakes fairly rapidly after they are finished spawning. Males will spawn for days at numerous spawning sites and then will wait in the river for the 2nd and 3rd runs for up to a month if they sense there are still females waiting to ovulate and spawn. We have also seen males that not only spawned at numerous sites in one river, but also spawned in both the upper Fox and Wolf Rivers in the same year.

This spring my outstanding crew, along with the great help of a number of volunteers and especially a large group of students from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Fisheries Society, captured and tagged a record number of adult females during our sturgeon spawning assessment and the second highest number of adult males. We (DNR) have been tagging sturgeon on the Wolf River during their spawning run since 1954.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)